The new Barney video and our Parks
Original post made by Resident, Another Palo Alto neighborhood, on Dec 13, 2007
5 Ways to Fix Our National Parks
There are only ten short years until the 100th anniversary of America's National Park System--a unique opportunity to ensure that America's national parks are restored and thriving once again. And we've got a plan for how to do it.
The National Parks Conservation Association has developed a comprehensive action plan, 5 Ways America Can Fix Our National Parks. In brief:
• RESTORE: Restore the health of the cultural and natural resources of our national parks by taking action to overcome external and internal threats
• REINVEST: Reinvest in our national parks by establishing reliable sources of sustainable public funding and strategic private investments
• REINVIGORATE: Reinvigorate the management capacity and efficiency within the National Park Service by facilitating mission-driven decision-making, encouraging innovation, and stimulating stakeholder collaboration
• RESEARCH: Ensure that parks have current science and active research to inform decisions about park protection, as these decisions should be based on science and informed expertise to the greatest extent possible
• REPRESENT: Ensure that the National Park System continues to grow and evolve to represent and interpret nationally significant landscapes, ecosystems, and the full range and diversity of American history and culture, and reflects and engages all Americans
Our new public service campaign says it best: "It's not like we can make new ones." Instead, the Administration, Congress, philanthropists, businesses, communities, and all of us need to work together now to make a difference for our national heritage and finally restore the faded glory of our National Park System. Link: Web Link
If you want to donate to the National Parks Conservation Association: Web Link.
A proposal for Monday Night's Office Cap Discussion
By Steve Levy | 18 comments | 2,894 views