Libya Consulate attack played down until 9/11 over Issues Beyond Palo Alto, posted by Concerned, a resident of the Palo Verde neighborhood, on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:54 am
Anyone else feel that the President and the media kept quiet about the latest 9/11 attack on US by Muslim terrorists until after the day passed and practically no mention that it occurred on the 9/11 anniversary as important and newsworthy?
Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton, on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:41 am Peter Carpenter is a member (registered user) of Palo Alto Online
Concerned should note that Libya is 6 hours ahead of Wash Dc and the deaths there occurred in the evening hours and after all of the 9/11 ceremonies in the US.
Here was Secretary of State Clinton said in the evening of 9/11:
"Speaking on Tuesday – before the death of the US ambassador was reported – the US secretary of state, Hillary Clinton, said she was heartbroken at the death of a US officer in Benghazi. "I condemn in the strongest terms the attack on our mission in Benghazi today," Clinton said in a statement. "We have confirmed that one of our State Department officers was killed. We are heartbroken by this terrible loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and those who have suffered in this attack."
Look what happens when people react before the facts are known - see Romney's Monday statement which has been widely criticized by his fellow Republicans.
Posted by Concerned, a resident of the Palo Verde neighborhood, on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:46 am
No, this was announced as breaking news to me yesterday afternoon by the BBC World News. They reported the two attacks and the fact that one Consulate official had been killed. I knew about this yesterday mid afternoon, there was a small report on CNN's website yesterday evening, but the details only came to light this morning.
Even so, this occurred on 9/11, not a coincidence!! Where is the outrage??????
Posted by Concerned, a resident of the Palo Verde neighborhood, on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:55 am
You are very quick to call me a troll.
I am much more concerned about the freedom of information and the fact that the press was not on top of this international/foreign affairs story than any criticism of Obama.
I want to know why the American people didn't get told about this from the US press until the day after 9/11. The press were too much looking backwards honoring the fallen (which should have been done) rather than looking at the present. Yesterday proved that the conditions which allowed 9/11 to take this country by surprise, haven't altered enough to allow another attack on the same day go by without comment until it suits. We are able to know what goes on at the other side of the world instantly, the time difference should not be an issue.
Hillary was able to comment last night but it was almost a footnote on our late night news. CNN had a small report but there was no outrage.
Posted by false claims by concerned, a resident of the South of Midtown neighborhood, on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:05 am
Concerned is trolling and/or trying to make political hay out of this like our shameful republican candidate Romney (whose 4 sons have not served a day inthe militray despite the threats against this country)
The attack in Egypt was in the news all day yesterday. The attack in Libya was reported in the US yesterday evening--the identity of the dead were not reported until early today, probably becuas eof identification and verification issues.
The claim that "the American people didn't get told about this from the US press until the day after 9/11" is unfounded with no basis whatsoever.
Posted by curmudgeon, a resident of the Downtown North neighborhood, on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 am
"this occurred on 9/11, not a coincidence!! Where is the outrage???"
Why would you feel better about it if it occurred on 9/12?
The real tragedy is that four innocent people were killed by religious fanatics reacting to rival religious fanatics. It's gang warfare by the worst elements of humanity, and both sides should be held accountable equally.
Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton, on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:07 am Peter Carpenter is a member (registered user) of Palo Alto Online
Concerned statement 1:"Anyone else feel that the President and the media kept quiet about the latest 9/11 attack on US by Muslim terrorists until after the day passed and practically no mention that it occurred on the 9/11 anniversary as important and newsworthy?"
Concerned statement 2:"I am much more concerned about the freedom of information and the fact that the press was not on top of this international/foreign affairs story than any criticism of Obama."
Looks like Concerned is falling into the footsteps of Romney - make a dumb statement and then try to twist it around when the dumb statement cannot be defended.
Here's another thing corporate media won't tell you. Obama is winning; his margin of victory (pending an October surprise) will be about 100 EV's. That "news" won't keep eyes on the tube or sell newspapers, so they downplay it. Tell you it's close -- STAY TUNED!!
@troll alert brings up another good point: @concerned, what do you think of the revelations that Bush/Cheney had dozens of warnings about 9/11 and ignored them, stayed on vacation the entire month of August?
Posted by outraged also, a resident of the Community Center neighborhood, on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:47 am
I, too, am outraged! Attacks on our embassy and Americans can't come together ?!? Apparently the Romney campaign preplanned their attack on the President, released their statement last night, embargoed the statement until midnight to make it "look" better, then released it on 9/11 anyway. Then the smirking picture linked above, after news of the death of a US ambassador.
I thought politics stopped at the water's edge?
Outraged. Don't go away, "concerned", there will be serious repercussions and I would like your take on this as it progresses.
Posted by Edward Davidson, a resident of the Midtown neighborhood, on Sep 12, 2012 at 11:28 am
"Anyone else feel that the President and the media kept quiet about the latest"
I don't think POTUS was hiding anything from Concerned or anyone else. There is evidence that chicanery was in the air, however:
"The statement from the Romney campaign was initially released by Romney press secretary Andrea Saul at 10:09 PM — but under an embargo until midnight on September 12th. In other words, it was embargoed until September 11th was over.
Then a few minutes later at 10:24 PM the embargo was lifted and reporters were told they could use the statement immediately...
Bear in mind, this was all happening while attacks on US personnel abroad were ongoing... Only this morning did <POTUS> learn that Stevens had died in the attacks that were on-going last night. The campaign also authorized Romney’s top foreign policy advisor to give a blistering interview attacking the president while the attacks were continuing." (Josh Marshall/TPM)
At least Paul Ryan gave a dignified response. But Ryan knows he won't be vice president anyway, so he's trying to recover from his mistake by taking the high road while running ads in his district to get reelected. Unprecedented to admit that you've lost so early.
Maybe Paul Ryan's ads will work and he keeps his day job. Web Link