From barnyard to butcher shop

Original post made on Aug 10, 2014

Newly opened butcher shop Belcampo Meat Co.'s claim to fame in an industry where the phrase "farm to table" has almost lost meaning is that the company has total control over every single step of production, from start to finish.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, August 8, 2014, 8:28 AM

Posted by Adam
on Aug 10, 2014 at 8:12 pm

The prices are just crazy. You are getting to the point where you could go to a decent steakhouse, order a cut of meat and come out ahead, and you don't have to do your own dishes. I don't quite get it nor buy into the hype.

Posted by HUTCH 7.62
on Aug 10, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Prices are indeed outrageous and but they show you where every cut of meat comes from on the animal except the kidneys,tongue,intestine or heart.

Posted by Resident
on Aug 11, 2014 at 8:41 am

I always want decent butchers from whom to buy my meat. However, these prices are not affordable for me.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:16 am

Ok, I had to look up oyster steak. At first I thought it was something that steer don't have. Is this a new marketing name for an old cut? Reminds me of the old Jack in the Box commercial that asks what part the Angus comes from.

Posted by Anonymous
on Aug 11, 2014 at 10:58 am

If you've driven past the feed lots on I-5, looked at industrial meat processing or paid attention to incidents of contaminated ground beef you might conclude Safeway's meat prices lead to outrageous conditions.

Belcampo is expensive and probably reflects the costs of this type of operation. If you can afford it and think humane conditions matter, then shop at Belcampo. If you can't afford Belcampo and think humane conditions matter, let Safeway know they need to do better.

Posted by anonymous
on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:38 am

These are very high prices but I understand there is a "trackable" product. This is for the elite, sure.
There have been so many food borne illness deaths and I am pretty much off beef. Centralized factory processing of meat, big time businesses rather than farmers, shippers, butchers. Have you ever seen documentaries like "Food, Inc.?" I haven't eaten ground been since, though if I could see a butcher grind it in front of me (off a nice cut of meat) I would eat that. Just haven't bothered to try to do that. I never eat fast food. Remember Morgan Spurlock's "Super Size Me" documentary.
Only catch is, there have also been major sickness scandals with...packaged SPINACH. So there you go.

Posted by Heard the one about....
on Aug 11, 2014 at 6:15 pm

This sounds a lot like a skit on "Portlandia" a couple of years ago. A couple tries out a new farm-to-table restaurant in Portland where the meat you are ordering can be tracked with pictures of the animal, comments about his personality, his diet, and photos of his slaughter.

Why not really be humane and not eat the stuff!