Former planning commission chair Eduardo Martinez dies

Original post made on Jul 10, 2014

Eduardo Martinez, a soft-spoken architect who chaired Palo Alto's Planning and Transportation Commission before stepping down earlier this year, died last week after a battle with cancer.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, July 10, 2014, 9:58 AM

Posted by jim baer
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 10, 2014 at 10:30 am

Eduardo was a thoughtful, humorous, connected leader who chose to spend his time with the Planning Commission to address specific projects and broader City land use issues. Eduardo was approachable and listened with his wise experience, and his ability to connect with others sincerely and as a friend.

I am sorry for our loss of Eduardo.

Posted by Jeff Rensch
on Jul 10, 2014 at 11:03 am

Yes, this is a saddening loss. Hope his family is doing well.

Posted by Penny
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jul 10, 2014 at 11:17 am

This article captures Eduardo's spirit beautifully. Eduardo was very generous about taking time to listen and share ideas with citizens--treating everyone with the kindness one offers to friends. He tried to press the city toward defining a meaningful vision for Palo Alto's future through the Comprehensive Plan rather than piecemeal project approvals. I appreciated his gracious and thoughtful dedication to community service.

My deepest condolences to his family. May his memory be a blessing.

Posted by Sad
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Eduardo was an intelligent and gracious and well-spoken man. I am sad about his loss.
I kept wishing his votes would be in the same vein as his words. Alas, he consistently supported major developments.

Posted by Samir Tuma
on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Eduardo, my friend, it was such an honor and pleasure to serve with you on the PTC. You pushed us all to approach our positions as Commissioners with a true sense of responsibility to the community we served. You challenged the staff, community, developers and fellow commissioners to think deeply about the policies we helped develop, and the individual projects we reviewed. It is no surprise that you spent the majority of your time on the commission in leadership roles. We are all better off because of you, and we are all at a loss with your departure.

Posted by Beverly Kenville
on Jul 10, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Eduardo was my mentor, employer and friend for the past 11 years. We worked on many many projects during that time. He taught me so much, was gentle in his critique and encouraged my designs. Am finishing his last project in Santa Cruz...he will be missed.

Posted by Doria Summa
a resident of College Terrace
on Jul 10, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Dear Gennady,

Thank you very much for writing such a nice article about Eduardo and his service to the city of Palo Alto.

For those of you who are interested to hear the entirety of Eduardo's speech to the City Council on April, 21 st., there is no transcript, butů..it is available to Watch at the Mid Peninsula Media Center, in the Government Archive section; Item B. Special Orders of the Day, @ (link):

Web Link
time stamp; 1.30.30

The Policy and Services Committee of the Council will be discussing Eduardo's speech at some time in the future after Council returns in August.

It would be great for residents to attend the committee meeting.

Posted by Linda
on Jul 13, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Dear Gennady,
Thank you for the article on Eduardo Martinez. He loved Palo Alto and was dedicated to making Palo Alto a better place for people who live and work here. He took his role as Chairman of the Planning & Transportation Commission very seriously and spent an incredible amount of time on the Comprehensive Plan and reviewing the development projects. He was also compassionate, generous and giving of his time and counsel. He mentored and counseled me, my brother and sister and so many others. He will always be in my heart. I am sure his children - Juliana, Eduardo and Anais - would agree that you did an amazing job with your profile and I thank you again for your diligence and for getting it right.
Thank you everyone for your warm thoughts and kind words. It means a lot to his family to know how that Eduardo left an indelible and lasting legacy.

Posted by Linda
on Jul 13, 2014 at 7:30 pm

PS Thank you Jim Baer. Eduardo would have really liked your post.

Posted by Eduardo Martinez Jr.
on Jul 24, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I wanted to write a quick note of thanks to Gennady, Palo Alto Online, the community, and everyone who wrote something about my dad. He was totally committed to the community and loved the work of the commission. We quickly learned why he didn't answer his cell phone on certain Wednesday nights! For a Berkeley transplant, the community and people of Palo Alto embraced my father as one of their own. As I struggle to cope, it's brought me great comfort to see this story and the wonderful comments about how my dad touched so many. From the bottom of my broken heart, thank you all so much.