Shop Talk: Ninth Starbucks opens, boutiques shuffle

Original post made on Jul 7, 2014

This week's Shop Talk is a highly caffeinated one. The ninth Starbucks is opening in Palo Alto and a new tea shop, David's Tea, is opening in the former site of The Sports Gallery. Plus, the Stanford Shopping Center is bidding farewell to Juicy Couture while welcoming Kate Spade.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, July 7, 2014, 8:13 AM

Posted by Sparty
on Jul 7, 2014 at 9:58 am

Sparty is a registered user.

Good to see that old shopping center pick up a bit

Posted by OOOOOOHHH, yeah
a resident of Stanford
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:03 am

Right, Palo Alto really needs another overpriced Starbucks, making their profits by watering their coffee. Yuck.

David's Tea is just a chain, most of them are merely so-so, except the one in Burlingame.

Kate Spade is for middle-aged. Us ones women, and that's fine and all, but Juicy Coututre was great for the younger set. Why. to have BOTH?

Posted by theMulberryGuy
on Jul 7, 2014 at 11:42 am

Thanks Daryl. Say, have you heard anything about a new gym/studio moving into Edgewood?

Posted by Crescent Park Mom
on Jul 7, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Yea! A Starbucks in Edgewood Plaza. I'm so excited!

Posted by parent
on Jul 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm

We would love to see a Quickly or other family-friendly Asian-style tea cafe. These are all over San Francisco and San Jose. Is there anything like that in Palo Alto?

Posted by WorkingNearby
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:59 pm

Yay! Everyday on my way to my office on East Bayshore, I pass the new Edgewood Plaza and think, "what a great spot that would be for a coffee shop". Although I'd prefer a Peets, a Philz, or an independent, I'm content that there will be a Starbucks. I'm sure to be known by name by the end of September!

Posted by Mr.Recycle
on Jul 7, 2014 at 8:45 pm

@OOOOOOHHH, yeah - I actually kind of agree with you, but it is such a huge upgrade over a wig store, a liquor store, or a vacant derelict mall, that I'm pretty happy it is showing up. There is hope for edgewood plaza.

Posted by andrew rich
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:09 pm

(resident of Woodland Park neighborhood, aka the West Side of EPA)

I think it's a real shame that the (apparently) only food service venue in Edgewood will be Starbucks. I have nothing against Starbucks themselves, though I'd have liked to see a non-chain coffee place, but with all that space and nothing walkable closer than the Midtown shopping center? There should be a cafe (with a kitchen, unlike Starbucks), or a sandwich shop, or something useful.

Edgewood now has a lovely public plaza at the corner of St. Francis and Channing - the opposite side of the retail building from the Starbucks. It'll be such a shame, and a waste, if there isn't a food service venue in one of the adjoining storefronts.

Posted by Still wishing
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:54 pm

I was kinda hoping for a Peet's, or a Specalty's at Edgewood. Starbucks coffee is more like hot milk.

Oh, well, with Grocery Outlet for sale, we'll have a chance at a Specialty's in the old Miki's building.....or the old JJ and F location.

Posted by andrew rich
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:58 pm

andrew rich is a registered user.

@still wishing : The staff at Fresh Market were telling customers as recently as a few months ago that Specialty's was going in. Seems like that deal fell through.

Posted by Crescent Park Dad
on Jul 8, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Yes - there was an early blog post that said that the Specialty deal fell through.

I prefer Peets myself...I like strong coffee or latte. But I am more than happy that Starbucks will be moving in. I said this in another thread - the shopping center needs a nationally recognized name brand tenant. Whether you enjoy Starbucks or not, it is very well-known and they have a steady stream of customers. For me, if I'm hitting the road (101), I'm going to go to Starbucks for a roadtrip coffee since it will be very convenient on the way out the door.

I am guessing/hoping that the Starbucks will draw in customers that have not tried the Fresh Market yet. Plus it is sure to grab customers who patronize the Shell gas station --- which is in direct sight. I would imagine that the blank square on the 30' shopping center sign will get the Starbucks logo --- which will also bring in drivers who are coming off of 101.

It was a good business decision to sign up Starbucks.

Posted by resident
on Jul 8, 2014 at 7:43 pm

The Shell station/Starbucks nexus which CPD cites, probably won't help
Fresh Market, or anybody else in Edgewood Plaza, but may aggravate access, parking and traffic issues related to the center.