KTVU cameras at Philz on Loma Verde

Original post made by Neighbor on May 29, 2014

According to the morning news, Philz have privacy issues, tracking customers how long they stay by their phones.

Is the Weekly covering this story?

Posted by Hate that store, a resident of Midtown
on May 29, 2014 at 10:23 am

I think that some portion of this is true. This particular cafe is too small and cramped for the business it does, and I know that if you are reading as you drink your coffee, they will encourage you to leave because they haven't the space for lingerers who wish to study or enjoy a good recreational read.

The better Philz is on Alma, near downtown, where you often see pleasure-readers and Stanford students studying. It is also less crowded and parking is easier. The help is also less snarky.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon., a resident of Crescent Park
on May 29, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Free wifi ... I think they have the right to analyze their business ... in this case, this has nothing to do with privacy - at least from what I am hearing.

Posted by Hate that store, a resident of Midtown
on May 29, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Analyzing their business is fine, but it is going to be bad for business if they continue to encourage people with smart phones, iPads, computers or Kindles to leave before they finish their coffee. Hooowwww ruuuude!

Posted by hate them, a resident of Midtown
on May 29, 2014 at 8:24 pm

We hate that store. They encourage their lazy customers to park in the bike lane across the street instead of the big parking lot on the other side of their building. This is incredibly dangerous for bicyclists who are trying to use the bike lane.

Posted by neighbor, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on May 30, 2014 at 8:49 am

I caught something about this on local tv news. Sounds like another example of prying eyes, whether this is just for advertising/marketing purposes, it would be wise to be aware of just how much one's privacy can be invaded...

Posted by not just Philz, a resident of Midtown
on May 30, 2014 at 10:01 am

Remember that WiFi tracking is not used by just Philz. Major department stores are known to use similar technology to track you as you move around the store.

Posted by Smart phones are for the dumb, a resident of Barron Park
on May 31, 2014 at 5:46 am

Thousands of dollars spent on the phone and service charges over just a couple years? For what again? Oh OK, sure. Here's all my money ATT/Verizon/Sprint! Can I arrange to pay you each and every month? Perfect!

Also, as a young adult, can I make sure I fritter my money away on stuff like this so I will never be able to actually save money or buy a house? Yes you say? Then I'm in! I hope I get the gold one. I can use it to take pics of me eating cat food in my retirement. YOLO!

Posted by Philz vs PAOnline, a resident of Midtown
on May 31, 2014 at 9:00 am

Is what Philz doing any different from what Palo Alto Online doing? Philz tracks your WiFi. Palo Alto Online tracks your web browsing. My web browser says there are 5 different trackers on this web page (ChartBeat, Quantcast, AdSense, etc), in addition to IP tracking they are probably doing at the backend. This is why Palo Alto Online is not reporting on Philz; they do not want to snitch on their brothers in spyware.

Posted by Are you kidding me?, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jun 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Anyone who thinks that major companies are not doing exactly the same thing with any phone that has location services activated and/or checked is either delusional or ignorant.

Posted by Schmuckerberg, a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Jun 2, 2014 at 8:58 am

Zuck said this would happen, that privacy no longer exists and that everyone should shut the bleep up about it.

I NEVER have my phone on when I am in a store of any kind.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.