President Obama to visit the Bay Area

Original post made on May 7, 2014

Walmart may seem an unlikely place for a president to visit, but President Barack Obama is set to come to Mountain View's Walmart Friday morning to give a speech about energy efficiency.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, May 6, 2014, 9:53 PM

Posted by Ignored shopper
on May 7, 2014 at 10:44 am

The upcoming visit explains a few things. I was at Walmart last Monday getting a variety of items. There were lots of employees cleaning displays, etc. Not a single employee offered to help me look for some painting supplies I needed. I was frustrated at the lack of customer service. Guess they were too busy preparing for the President to visit!

Posted by senor bloger
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 7, 2014 at 10:59 am

One part of the article says he arrived yesterday and another part says he arrives tomorrow.

REALLY GOOD REPORTING. WHICH IS IT?

Posted by It's Tomorrow
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on May 7, 2014 at 11:19 am

The photo caption refers to a previous visit - June 6, 2013.

Posted by American
on May 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

[Post removed.]

Posted by What?
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on May 7, 2014 at 12:19 pm

@Ignored shopper: Re your statement, "Not a single employee offered to help me look for some painting supplies I needed. I was frustrated at the lack of customer service. Guess they were too busy preparing for the President to visit!"

Seriously? Who shops at WalMart for customer service?! It's like shopping in an underdeveloped country. I thought it was common knowledge that WalMart customer service is nonexistent because the only people who accept those lowest-paying jobs are immigrants who have no idea of the definition of customer service. It's the low prices that drive me in, and it's always an unpleasant experience. Glad to read that they might clean up the store for once! Thanks, Obama. Please visit my house next - it could use some tidying.

Posted by Sarah
on May 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Just one more reason I never have and never will visit a Walmart store!

Posted by palo alto resident
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on May 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm

Glad to hear they are finally cleaning that Walmart - its one of the dirtiest stores I've ever been in. And if I were Walmart, I wouldn't want the President in that particular store, its an embarrassment to the company. Oh right, we are talking about Walmart. I wonder if he'll ask the employees how many of them are on food stamps?

Posted by Mrs. B
a resident of Menlo Park
on May 7, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Another [portion removed] example of our supposed "Man of the People" President coming to his favorite ATM to extract more cash. Stay clear of the entire area!

Posted by neighbor
on May 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Yup, the stores are always filthy and a cleaning is long overdue.

BUT -- There are some pretty mixed-up political statements on this thread. WalMart, and its owners/board, have always been firm conservative Republicans and have put million$ up for conservative causes.

We all know that the Walmart CUSTOMER demographic is quite different. Obama is pretty brave (and smart) to go there.

Posted by Honor the Office
a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on May 7, 2014 at 3:22 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Enough!
a resident of Community Center
on May 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm

I would have thought Solyndra would have been a more appropriate venue for Obama to visit. Now we have to deal with busy Friday traffic, AND the subsequent snarls of a "Presidential" visit. Ironic that he is speaking at one of the bastions of right wing business that left wing people love to bash.

Posted by Barack
on May 7, 2014 at 4:26 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Go Home!
a resident of Community Center
on May 7, 2014 at 5:22 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Honor the Office
a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 7, 2014 at 6:15 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Curmudgeon
a resident of Downtown North
on May 7, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Curmudgeon is a registered user.

[Post removed.]