Herb Wong, jazz icon and educator, dies at 88

Original post made on Apr 21, 2014

Easter Sunday this year saw the passing of Herb Wong, a long-time Menlo Park resident renowned internationally as a jazz expert and educator, who taught jazz at the Palo Alto Adult School for 25 years.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, April 21, 2014, 11:33 AM

Posted by Ron Massie
on Apr 21, 2014 at 2:37 pm

Condolences to Herb Wong's family and friends. I met Herb many years ago at the Stanford Shopping Center Jazz series. He was a great man-with a wealth of information about the world of Jazz. He will be missed...Ron Massie

Posted by John Sylvester
on Apr 22, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I didn't know Herb well but I had great admiration for him. His dedication to the world of jazz was a source of great inspiration to all of us who play and enjoy this great American art form. He will be missed.

Posted by Grant Geissman
a resident of Los Altos
on Apr 22, 2014 at 6:12 pm

I am so sad to hear about Herb's passing. I met him back when I was a student at De Anza College in 1972 and 1973, and managed to keep in touch with he and Marilyn over the years. He was such a bright, positive force for jazz, and there just aren't many others like him; he's simply irreplaceable.

Posted by Bob Kanegis
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Our great friend of 30+ years... my environmental educator mentor, helped set me on my life path. As you said Herb, all those years ago- "We're All Connected Man!" Herb was and continues to be an inspiration to a group of lifelong friends scattered around the country doing great work that began with our classes with Herb.

Posted by Bob Kanegis
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Posted by mario alberto munguia
on Apr 26, 2014 at 2:34 pm

From washington school to Berkeley High School, Mr. Wong saw my passion on music and arts an so encouraged and helped set the pace for to do what I love and have passion for. "Producing and Promoting". HE. KNEW!!!!!
Thank you Mr. Wong...