ShopTalk: Sports Gallery and The Annex close, Grocery Outlet thriving

Original post made on Apr 18, 2014

Palo Alto's latest retail shutterings include The Annex of University Art and Sports Gallery downtown, as well as Coldwater Creek at Stanford Shopping Center. Meanwhile, newcomer Grocery Outlet is thriving in Alma Village.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, April 18, 2014, 2:53 PM

Posted by He'elp
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Please tell me this is not so. Coldwater Creek is going to close????? I buy 90% of all my clothes there since Talbots closed. Where am I going to shop now?

Posted by Mom
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:15 pm

There's a great Talbots outlet at Marina Square. It's worth the drive over there, depending on the season. I know what you mean about Talbots, though. Great company.

Posted by Mom
on Apr 18, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Can someone please list the organic food at Grocery Outlet, maybe we'll try again. DH went and found nothing. Costco has added so much organic, I wasnt going to bother with GO anymore.

YAY about Acme moving into the forever empty Su Hong site!! So relieved it won't be another on your face overdevelopment in that area. It's right by Keys Middle school, the senior centers, and the thrift store. Walking distance from a lot of nearby housing. Plus trees. Good!

Posted by Neal
a resident of Community Center
on Apr 19, 2014 at 7:38 am

I hope Grocery Outlet doesn't waste precious floor space for organic foods. I prefer bargain prices over Safeway's outrageous gouging.

Posted by Russky
a resident of Green Acres
on Apr 19, 2014 at 9:27 am

Good for Grocery Outlet--I was beginning to think the location was cursed,

Posted by chap
a resident of Southgate
on Apr 19, 2014 at 3:18 pm

low cost ben and jerry's ,organic ''blue chips'', organic whole wheat bread, low cost cashew nuts...some things at that store. organic cereals .

Posted by veggieman
on Apr 19, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Got a great deal on asparagus and bananas...Milk is fair priced as well.

Posted by Elizabeth
on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:43 am

Hopefully The Annex will find a better fit in RWC. I only visited it a few times because frankly for a store that touts itself as an "art" Annex, it just wasn't.

They carried low end manufactured items with quite a stretch to call it "art."

If they'd carried quality items I suspect they'd have made more and possibly been able to manage the increasing rent.

Good luck in your new location. I grieve not for your departure.

Posted by TimH
on Apr 21, 2014 at 10:57 am

Good bye, Sports Gallery. I know that Mountain View isn't far away, but...It's true that eBay is so easy for hunting down collectibles, but eBay cannot replace the interesting conversations to be found at specialty places like Sports Gallery. Mountain View's gain once again from Palo Alto's loss of another kind of quirky, non-hipster stamped-out business, or worse, another startup that offers no storefront on University Avenue. Boring.

Posted by ChrisC
a resident of College Terrace
on Apr 21, 2014 at 1:10 pm

ChrisC is a registered user.

Mom: I didn't see much in the way of organic at Grocery Outlet when I stopped by to take a look at what they offered. It seemed like a nice store for by food shopping habits of 25 years ago, but I didn't see any of the type of meat, produce, or dairy that I buy now. I'm sure there are lots of people in Palo Alto who do still eat what is offered there, and if it saves them money and driving, that's great. I was thought that the style of the signage is pretty cute, and when driving north on Alma, one does see it in time to turn in. I don't see that I will ever be shopping there. I do buy more and more at Costco, as they have some really wonderful organic and local products now.

Posted by Diana W. Chen
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Apr 22, 2014 at 12:20 pm

FYI: Acme Education School will not move out from cubberley community center for our after school program.

Posted by Diana W. Chen