Teens arrested for attempted burglary on Stockton Place

Original post made on Apr 15, 2014

Two teenagers who Palo Alto police say tried to rob a house on Stockton Place on Monday night were tracked down and arrested Tuesday afternoon in Menlo Park.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, April 15, 2014, 9:39 PM

Posted by Resident
on Apr 15, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thanks to PAPD for the success in this case. Whereas helicopter seems like overkill, I think it is becoming more necessary for the police not only to be doing something but also to be seen to be doing something to catch the criminals who seem to be relentless in their pursuit of crime and criminal intent.

These kids are obviously not scared of the consequences of their crimes. Whether they expected to get away with crimes or that they don't care, they need to see that law enforcement are pulling out all the stops to catch those who prey on society.

Well done and hope the message will get across.

Posted by Bruce Li
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:39 am

Overkill? One suspect was later found with a gun and they're breaking into somebody's home! Come on people give me a break shouldn't the police use whatever resources are available to catch these scrotes!

THANKS PAPD AND ALL THE OTHER LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES!

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:49 am

I broke into a cold-sweat revisiting last October's aftermath of young teen with replica assault rifle vs Santa Rosa police. How close did we come Monday night? How do we expect our police to react if a barrel swings their direction? What glimmer of sanity came across the kid who tossed his loaded weapon before running into those detectives? Allegedly.

Posted by Joe
on Apr 16, 2014 at 7:39 am

Before people get carried away praising the Palo Alto Police, it's clear the praise goes to the woman who was able to keep a cool head, and get the license number of the 3rd member of this home invasion team. Without her quick thinking--these guys might have gotten away with their crime.

Sadly--they will disappear in the system, and we will never know who they are, or what punishment they receive, if any.

Posted by Resident
on Apr 16, 2014 at 8:10 am

Channel 9, PBS, showed a good 2 hour Alan Alda special called Brains on Trial last night. It showed, among other things, that a teenage brain acts differently to an adult brain - particularly when a teen is with friends. It was showing, among other things, that someone just turned 18 is not mature enough to be treated as an adult.

I am glad these teens were caught, pleased that the woman and the police did what they did, but it is worth remembering that teens' brains work differently.

Posted by A no-knee mouse
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Apr 16, 2014 at 9:43 am

Resident: I think you meant to say that "*some* teens' brains work differently". When I was a teen the thought of conducting an armed robbery never ever crossed my mind. I doubt if any of these teens will ever be good citizens. They are a lost cause. Our society would be better off without them in it.

Posted by Reiji
a resident of Palo Verde
on Apr 16, 2014 at 10:59 am

[Post removed.]

Posted by SMH
on Apr 16, 2014 at 11:02 am

THERE ARE MY OPINIONS! Backlash not necessary.

I think they should show their faces/pictures. If they are old enough to do the crime, then they are old enough to have their faces shown to the public. I could walk right by these kids and not know they are about to rob me, but if I had seen their faces before, maybe I'd be more alert and get my pepper spray ready!

So-called "kids" can do adult crimes but get "kid" punishment. These kids know right from wrong, forget the brain acting differently crap...they know what they are doing is wrong!

@A no-knee mouse, I echo your comment. I NEVER thought about robbing someone when I as a teenager...not as an adult either...EVER! They got caught THIS time, but guarantee you they have done it before.

We need to stop treating these kids, that want to be thugs, well...like kids. Will they make better choices moving forward, probably not. 10% of them do, the others don't! They would not survive in another country. We love the US...we pay high taxes, outrageous rent and send thugs to their Mommy's when they commit a serious crime. What a freaking joke.

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Nora Charles is a registered user.

Kudos to the cool-headed homeowner and to the wonderful PAPD.

My friends and I did some pretty foolish, brazen things as teenagers, but somehow armed robbery (allegedly, thank you, musical!) was not among them. Why wasn't the 15 year-old sent to juvenile hall? Or is that a thing of the past?

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?