Settlement reached in death of East Palo Alto child

Original post made on Apr 9, 2014

The City of East Palo Alto has settled a lawsuit filed by the parents of a 6-year-old girl who was killed in a crosswalk while going to school in 2011.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, April 9, 2014, 9:56 AM

Posted by Stretch
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:35 am

Can someone explain to me how the driver is not responsible for killing this little girl? The sunlight in the eyes would be a mitigating factor, which would require such steps as slowing down, using a visor or glasses, or pulling over and stopping if a person can't see. Sloppy driving is no excuse for killing someone, and most people who do so are either impaired in some way or flat out in a hurry. Arrest that crosswalk,h

Posted by So Sad
a resident of College Terrace
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:52 am

well said stretch.

Posted by parent
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:54 am

After 2 tragedies at the same crosswalk, has the city done anything to fix it?

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Apr 9, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hmmm is a registered user.

Stretch - I still don't get it. I understand that sun glare is awful and can hit suddenly. Many a time, I've pulled over due to this problem, and many a time I've slowed down to a crawl. She *was* in a hurry, and I still don't understand why there's no stop sign there. I recall it had something to do w/the studies, but it's hard to imagine that the stop sign wouldn't be effective.

When I've recently driven this part of the road, I've found drivers have slowed down and are more cautious. It just took a death and a serious injury to change things. But have they really changed, for the long term?

People Behaving Badly at this intersection: Web Link

Posted by Palo Altan
on Apr 9, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks for the video, Hmmm. Appalling drivers. I think a death warrants a stop sign. From what I know, it takes a death before something is corrected. [Portion removed.] $125,000 is an appalling settlement for the death of a child - it should be at least a million. Again, as usual, a high-paid attorney would have helped secure more.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Apr 9, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Politics: Empty appeals to "innovation"

Marriage Underachievers

A Surprise!
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 1,498 views

Best High Dives to Watch the Game
By Laura Stec | 4 comments | 964 views

It's Dog-O-Ween this Saturday!
By Cathy Kirkman | 2 comments | 779 views