Will the Milk Pail survive?

Original post made on Mar 31, 2014

To many residents, the Milk Pail market is a charming Mountain View institution, celebrating its 40th year selling affordable produce and gourmet cheese in a quirky, open air European-style setting. But its future has been uncertain ever since a developer arrived on the scene, threatening a critical part of the Milk Pail's business: a friendly agreement allowing the Milk Pail's customers to use a neighboring property's parking lots.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, March 31, 2014, 9:01 AM

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:36 am

Shared parking makes sense. If I visit Ross, JoAnn Fabrics, Bev Mo, Kohls, Milk Pail, I am not going to move my car. I even walk as far as Target, WalMart if I am only buying something small.

It is ridiculous to think that in a large center like San Antonio that we are expected to park several times on one visit. That would be bad for traffic, bad for the environment and bad for our health.

Shared parking is the norm in Europe and I thought that this center was trying to be European and pedestrian friendly. Europeans would never dream of parking several times on one errand run.

I walked to Milk Pail from the old Safeway parking lot and it never crossed my mind to do otherwise. Shared parking makes sense.

Posted by Garrett , a resident of another community
on Mar 31, 2014 at 11:48 am

Been following the story and reading the threads, there is a peition link on the MV Voice site.

This shopping center needs shared parking and free common access from one property to another. Expansion and investment to keep San Antonio vibrant and attractive to retailers and customers.

Yes the Milk Pail must have parking, access to customers and remain a vital part of the SA.

Sign Peition, Shop and tell others.

Posted by lindaloo, a resident of Mountain View
on Mar 31, 2014 at 11:57 am

I walk to Milk Pail market now that I live in Mountain View; it is a wonderful place -- and it is the only reason I ever visit San Antonio Center now. I am also an original customer; have been going there all 40 years, i.e., w/my mother as a child. I hope it can stay, albeit as an anomaly in the development w/nothing but characterless high rises and chain stores.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 31, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Here's a similar story with a great outcome Web Link

Posted by Andreas Ramos, a resident of Ventura
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:28 pm

The Milk Pail: My favorite shop in Palo Alto. We go there every weekend. Always.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Woodside
on Apr 21, 2014 at 2:59 pm

The Milk Pail is one of the few reasons I have left to visit the San Antonio shopping center. It has always supplied great quality food at reasonable prices, and I tend to linger and shop at other stores in the area because of the Milk Pail. Keep the shared parking!! Requiring customers to constantly change parking spaces to shop at different stores is unreasonable and illogical. Just a thought: If the developer insists that all customers have to re-park constantly, will they also include a guarantee that they will replace any car battery that has died due to acid stratification caused by extensive short distance driving?
How ironic that when I experienced this, my car battery was replaced by the Sears Automotive center that used to be there!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.