Sneaky way to spend more money on the Charleston/Arastradero gridlock

Original post made by Duane Bennett on Mar 15, 2014

The City of Palo Alto knows the historic Charleston/Arastradero project is a very controversial issue with Palo Altans. Most of the community feels the re-stripping of Charleston/Arastradero was a huge waste of time and money. Most feel this trial project failed. Most don't believe the traffic studies and that the traffic problems during commute hours are worst. Some argue that the gridlock traffic is the same as before the re-stripping, but few believe the traffic problems are better. The problem is - it is not done. The last stage is to beautify the street with planters and trees and not at an insignificant cost. Now how is the city going to do that when the vast majority of the communities don't like the amount of money we have already wasted on this street.

Well they came up with a "brilliant" idea. A NETWORK of bike/pedestrian improvement projects. Let's hide it in the long list of improvement projects with an emphasis on bike/pedestrian improvements. Nobody will notice it there. And this is going to work. Why? Because we simply don't have to the time to stop it. The Pro-Measure D folks worked months and months on making an impact to the city. We have only two days.

Yep, on Monday evening at City Hall, the City Council will discuss the staff recommendations to approve the NETWORK of improvement projects that includes a long list of bike/pedestrian projects. And in this long list is added the last phase of the Charleston/Arastradero re-stripping project so that they can get the trees planted. I believe this was added to the end of this project as a way to sneak it by us. And at what cost do you say?

"C. Following a bid process, staff recommends that a contract in the amount of $736,765 be awarded to Mark Thomas & Company for conceptual and preliminary designs"

Yep, that's three quarters of a million dollars just on the design alone. Here's the link:
Web Link

Check out page 131 or Attachment G.

An uber-pro Charleston/Arastradero advocate is rallying to get 10-15 people to show up at Monday's meeting waving bike helmets to show Palo Alto's strong interest in these bike/pedestrian improvement projects knowing this is the only way to get the money needed to finish Charleston/Arastraadero.

Now don't get me wrong, I kind of love trees. And I know since we are constructing buildings these days right up to the sidewalks, the only place to plant the trees are right dab in the middle of a crowded street. And without a doubt this will enhance traffic calming but how much slower can we go than the traffic crawl we are already at.

I don't think there is much in this short notice that we can do. Showing up Monday night at City Hall can't hurt. If this costly sneaky hidden item frustrates you too, please consider writing the city council. Maybe, with the council waking up Monday morning with a flood of emails, we can make a difference; but unfortunately you would have to do it today.

Monday, March 17th, 8:00 p.m., City Council Chambers, 250 Hamilton Avenue, Palo Alto City Hall, 1st Floor.

To email all nine members: city.council@cityofpaloalto.org

Monday's Agenda (item 9):
Web Link

Posted by Anne of Green Gables, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Lord help us

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 15, 2014 at 5:20 pm

I suspect that all the residents with driveways who at present are able to go across the median to go whichever way they want are now going to be oh so surprised to find that they will be on a one way street effectively.

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Mar 16, 2014 at 12:13 pm

The aim of our city staff seems to be to make it harder and harder to get cross town. SOmetimes we HAVE to do this and there are limited practical routes like Oregon/Page Mill and Charleston/Arastradero and narrowing these, closing them in just doesn't make sense to me. I never see cyclists on Charleston/Arastradero, though that may be due to timing, but I DO experience overly long waits. There is a reality that many of us must use our cars a majority of the time. Lecturing to us that we should be on a bike is inappropriate and ridiculous. For those who can bike, fine, but cars are still clearly the predominant mode of travel for a myriad of solid reasons.

Posted by Member, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 16, 2014 at 2:05 pm

City council needs to undo the restriping on Arastradero, NOT put trees in there at a cost of $700K. I know people who have turned down jobs at respectively, the VA Hospital and VmWare, because getting across Palo Alto on Arastradero is such a nightmare. The Arastradero restriping was a failed experiment, but rather than undo it, CC is doubling down.

This CC needs to go, all of them!

Posted by Ahem, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 16, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Totally agree with "Member"... every last one of the current PACC must go. Clean Sweep!

For those who say they will only be replaced with the same types, I say... lets hope the measure "D" folks can put together a slate of candidates that will represent the residents, and even if they don't, we won't be any worse off than we are now. At least the new ones will know the same thing can happen to them.

Posted by How do you know what I think , Mr. Bennett?, a resident of South of Midtown
on Mar 16, 2014 at 6:24 pm

I'm not sure how Mr. Bennett thinks he knows how "Most of the community feels". Did he take survey? a vote? He did not ask me, a resident of Palo Alto who uses Charleston-Arastradero several times daily with my kids, in my car, on my bike. We have to. It's how I get out of my neighborhood.

I like the plan, and I'll thank him not to speak for me.

Posted by PA parent, a resident of Gunn High School
on Mar 16, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Mr. Bennett does not represent my views. I support the proposal from city staff to make the bike and pedestriian improvments, and in particualr those that support safe routes to school like those on Charleston Arastradero.

Many years ago there were many meetings about improving this route for bikes and peds to make the road safer for school commuting, and the present plan is consistent with what was stated at tthose meetings. It is long overdue. It was proposed as a mitigation for the 1000 plus housing units that were being built along the some corridor. The residences have all been built and are occupied, yet the road improvement are not complete. Given the schools are bigger, too, with more students that prior to all the housing construction, one would expect traffic to be heavier. Yet, with the safety improvement, more student are arriving at school on foot and by bike. Alos, I also noticed that the intersection by Terman has an "alll way stop" to allow for middle schoolers to cross the road with no car movements. This certainly slows traffic on Arastradero. Personally, I am OK with things moving more slowly and being safer.

I wonder what the road would be like if these walkers and bikes were back in their cars? Two more car trips by parents of school kids to drop off and return from school is NOT what this road needs, especiaaly in the morning commute. Plant trees and make this an even more pleasant and safe excursion by foot and bike for school commuters. That should allow Mr. Bennett more room for his car.

Posted by bg, a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Agree, Duane Bennett's words are baseless - he has no credibility.
Been using Charleston for over 40 years. Its current configuration is the safest it has been during that time.

Posted by Gunn Freshman, a resident of Gunn High School
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I live in Greenmeadow, I have been crossing Charleston every single day to get to school since I first started Kindergarden. Now, I traverse a large stretch of Charleston/Arastradero to get to Gunn. Every morning, I see the traffic jam and the cars inching down the road, and I understand the frustration, but I also see the hundreds of kids walking and biking down the street. There aren't just highschool students using this road, there are also Termen students, and even some elementary school kids. These children need a safe place to ride their bikes or walk to school. I think having the morning commute be a little bit safer for all the kids is worth the extra wait.

I wish I could vote for this, because I know my answer would be yes. Plenty of my friends would also agree that they want a safe way to get to school. Unfortunately, we- the students- aren't allowed to vote, and it is up to the adults to choose what's best for us. I know having a slower street might be inconvenient for some people, but for me, it means saftey.

Posted by Safe Routes to School are important, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:45 pm

The purpose of the paint striping trial was to determine whether the reconfigured street could carry the traffic while maintaining point-to-point travel times. This experiment was done to test whether there was room on the road for the desired hardscape safety improvements. There's nothing "sneaky" about this. If you read the related documentation on the subject, the city has been very straight-forward about this from the beginning.

The planned landscaped medians would provide pedestrian refuge, protected turning pockets, more controlled turning movements and merges which will improve safety. Drivers would automatically respond to a treed, narrower "residential"-looking arterial by moderating speeds, scanning for pedestrians and bicyclists. Aside from the installation of standard width bike lanes, a mid-block crosswalk, and a four-way STOP at Donald, NONE of the real safety improvements have been implemented yet. If it were four lanes again, drivers would resume driving it like an expressway in off-peak times as they used to during the afternoon school commute times.

The landscaped medians are specifically prescribed for Charleston/Arastradero in the current City of Palo Alto Comprehensive Plan, and in the City of Palo Alto Bicycle & Pedestrian Transportation Plan, and the project has been studied in 14 study sessions and public hearings over 12 years--to say nothing of countless public meetings. To say that the city "sneaked" this in is, well, a little silly or perhaps uninformed.

This is a street that carries school commuters to 11 public and private elementary, middle, and high schools. Safety must be a priority. The striping trial was approved for permanent installation two years ago. This funding gets that implementation started.

I support the plan. I use the road all of the time. My kids commute to school on it. I'm grateful to the city for their good work on this project, and I hope that other parents whose kids have to commute to school on it will join me.

What Mr. Bennett also leaves out(perhaps because he doesn't know)is that the project is a mitigation for impacts of almost 1,000 units of housing that were built within the Corridor service area (about 4% of all Palo Alto households)over the last ten years. Developer impacts fees will cover part of the cost. The city has successfully applied for and received grant money which will cover part of it.

Charleston/Arastradero presents long-time pre-existing problems. Acute morning congestion was documented in 2003 during the belltime surge period. This congestion continues today. At that time, afternoon speeds were higher, creating unsafe conditions that discouraged students from walking and bicycling to school.

Here's a question: What if those school commuters got back into cars? I think it is important to consider that we live in a state that does not fund busing as other states do. Children have to get to school, and the road could not then and cannot now carry all of the car trips necessary to get the children to school. We need to provide a street environment that does not have high speeds and wide, multi-lane school crossings. The street now carries an overall increase in multi-modal trips. It is accommodating the traffic impacts of a lot of development that has occurred over the last ten years. If those kids go back to cars, how will that affect street congestion? If we go back to four lanes, congestion and safety problems will be worse, not better.

I'd like to point out that the sections of the road that were narrowed are the points where the highest volumes of school commuters travel. I have followed this project closely from its inception. It is challenging to balance the needs of so many users. I think the city has done the best job possible. There is no perfect solution for this road, but I think the right trade-offs have been made here.

Before one shoots down a well-studied project, I think it's important to carefully study the alternatives. This is our best option given the resources at hand.

Posted by SteveU, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 16, 2014 at 8:47 pm

SteveU is a registered user.

Gunn Freshman
Now you see why I find the continued GROWTH of the Gunn campus to be absurd.

That just creates MORE traffic in a area that already has student safety issues because of the density of educational facilities.

The solution is simple: REOPEN Cubberly HIGH SCHOOL

Posted by Gunn Freshman, a resident of Gunn High School
on Mar 16, 2014 at 9:02 pm

That's a nice idea. If you want to make that happen, go for it. At the moment, however Gunn is all we have and the traffic and saftey is a problem. Let's try to fix what we have because even if reopening Cubberly was approved, it wouldn't happen for several years, in which the current saftey issues would still be a problem.

Posted by Elke, a resident of Fairmeadow
on Mar 16, 2014 at 9:35 pm

I bike along Charleston Arastradero 2 days per week to get out to the excellent mountain and road biking in the foothills and really appreciate the traffic calming and bicycle striped areas. Trees would/will be a great addition to this pedestrian, auto and bicycle corridor.

Posted by Anon, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 16, 2014 at 10:06 pm

I like the current configuration. Some weeks I travel over and back twice a day at or near rush hour, other weeks not. Traffic is bad, but, it was before. What I like about the current configuration is that people can't weave in and out in the vicinity of Gunn and Terman, endangering everyone as they seek to save 5 seconds on their commute.

The real problem is at Arastradero and Foothill anyway, and, with the growth of VMware, etc, along with the continued growth of Gunn, it is what I would expect. I wish the school board had kept Cubberly open, or, re-opened it, instead of building up Gunn, but, they didn't, so it is what it is.

Posted by Garrett , a resident of another community
on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:05 am

School buses would help ease traffic, beside traffic is alway bad at rush hour. Sounds like a 6 lane road needs to be built but that won't happen.

Posted by VS, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 17, 2014 at 10:24 am

Please email to the city.council@cityofpaloalto.org.

Here is a template you can use:

Subject line: Please reject the re-striping and landscape design of Arastradero & Charleston Roads

Dear City Council Members: Please restore the original (pre-2010) configuration. Also, please do not waste $736K in design fees. We are running a surplus in the City, but this is a complete and utter waste of public funds.

Sincerely,
<Your name>

Posted by Slow and Sane, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Mar 17, 2014 at 10:56 am

Prior to the calming experiment, traffic was often traveling at 50 miles per hour. When the calming took place traffic slowed to about 30 mph. It is much safer and a delight to drive at the proper speed. I support the completion of this project.

Posted by No more money for Charleston/Arastradero, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:01 am

It's not that I want to go back to the way the street was stripped. IMO, it was a trial, a costly trial that failed. Why have a trial if you are just going to keep moving forward anyway. So we didn't learn from it. What's baffling to me is that we are going to keep spending more money on it.

And if the current traffic is because of increased enrollment at the schools or employees at VMware why did we design a solution that only lasted two years? Shouldn't we be designing solutions to last ten years or at least five years? So what is going to happen to the traffic in two more years. Start of another project?

Posted by commuter, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:04 am

Will anyone ever address the intersection of Fabian Way and Charleston? It takes true finesse to get past it going towards San Antonio during commute hours. The left lane is constantly blocked by left-turners who have no specific turn lane. Drivers who go into the right lane to cross the intersection are trapped and cannot get over to the left turn lane at San Antonio and Charleston without muscling in quickly. To make matters worse people will actually drive into oncoming traffic to make the left turn arrow at San Antonio and Charleston. That stretch between Louis and Charleston and San Antonio and Charleston needs some major rethinking. Luckily the average driver on that route is alert, perceptive and polite - a different set of drivers and there would be accidents weekly, at least.

Posted by Phil, a resident of Fairmeadow
on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:05 am

I like the current configuration, and look forward to the next phase. I'm glad they are working on it.

Posted by No more money for Charleston/Arastradero,, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Mar 17, 2014 at 11:13 am

@commnter

Sorry @commnter all the money will go to planting trees. There won't be any left for fixing anymore traffic problems.

Posted by Just say yes., a resident of South of Midtown
on Mar 17, 2014 at 12:13 pm

As mom with kids who use that route to get to school, I really appreciate the city's work there. I have to drive it a fair amount. I think it is working pretty well.

Posted by Garrett , a resident of another community
on Mar 17, 2014 at 12:23 pm

As a full time driver who drives at all times of the day. I welcome street changes, traffic can be bad and yes have to factor in the time.

Children and adults need safe passage to and from their travels.

Posted by Arastadero plan is working as intended, a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Mar 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm

The intent of the res-triping was to slow down traffic on Arastadero and make is safer for BIKES and PEDESTRIANS, not more convenient for cars. Slowing down traffic was intentional and successful.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 17, 2014 at 1:29 pm

The only difference the restriping has done for me over the past couple of years is to avoid it at all costs. I am sure I'm not the only one.

Posted by Winning, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:12 pm

This was a huge win. Mr Bennett, you WISH " Most feel this trial project failed." because then you would not be angry that you were(past tense because its over, a done deal) on the losing side of this.
The goal was to reduce speeds to make is safer for bikes and pedestrians. If you feel speed has increased, then you can crow "failure" all you would like.
In the mean time, drive safely.

Posted by anony99, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Many of the people here are missing the point. The re-striping of Arastradero was intended to slow down cars in the hopes that those drivers would leave their vehicles at home and use alternative transportation, such as bikes or walking. I applaud our City Council for trying to make it more difficult for people to get around using their car. That is the only way we will make the transition to a post-automobile society. (Mass transit will work if driving becomes a less attractive alternative.) Let's get people out of their cars!

Posted by anony99, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm

One more thing. I'd like to salute the city staff and Jaime Rodriquez. They are committed to creating the kind of gridlock necessary to get people out of their cars and biking/walking. The fact that Arastradero is now slower and people are unlikely to zoom through is an accomplishment they should be proud of! And they're going to do the same thing to California Avenue! We make it too easy for people to use their cars. Jaime understands this and is working hard to make alternative transportation more attractive.

Posted by Mom who bikes, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:58 pm

While I don't agree with him, Mr. Bennett presents a perspective that may or may not be informed by experience as a bicyclist on this street which carries close to 20,000 cars per day and hundreds of k-12 student commuters who bike and walk to school. His point of view, though different from my own, deserves a considerate response. Let's keep the dialogue polite.

I appreciate the perspective of the driver. I am one. I'm also a bicyclist. The previous configuration was intimidating to me--an adult, competent bicyclist. I'm glad to have a standard width bicycle lane now. I look forward to the added safety benefits of the future medians. This project and possible alternatives were exhaustively studied for 12 years. This is the best solution of the available options to accommodate all of the various types of street users.

I'm grateful to staff for their good work and to City Council for their decision two years ago to approve the trial and make the project permanent.

Posted by My Take, a resident of Greendell/Walnut Grove
on Mar 17, 2014 at 3:30 pm

I do not agree that this is safer. The daily gridlock on El Camino and Arastradero will result in accidents, especially to pedestrians and bicyclists as they get caught in the confusion and desperate maneuvering of trapped drivers. Since bikes still avoid this 'thoroughfare', because it remains unsafe, the original stated purpose has not been achieved. You can pretend all you like, but anyone can see this. It is dismaying to know that arrogant bike proponents feel entitled to school those of us who actually have to be somewhere and have no alternative but to drive on that road. No, putting in trees will not lessen the frustration, nor change the reality that a lot of people have to pass through there every day, in what ever mode of transit. A better use of these funds would have been to make it safer for all without creating obstacles intended to punish those in cars. And by the way, I'm a devoted bicycle rider when possible. You have created more ill will for those of us on bikes. Since we are entirely at the mercy of motor vehicle drivers, Thanks.

Posted by Garrett, a resident of another community
on Mar 17, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Since most of the traffic is going to and from Stanford Business Park, just maybe it is time to build a major East West Connector.

101 to 280 via Page Mill/Oregon Expressway, 6 lanes that will run under El Camino Real.

Posted by Vivian, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 17, 2014 at 5:02 pm

The changes on Arastradero are lovely and I'm very grateful for them. As someone who used to have several close calls on that street per month, I have not had a single one since the updates. I feel much safer on that road now because in my opinion and experiences I am much safer now. Trees would be spectacular. I agree that traffic is already slow, so the trees will not harm that anymore...we might as ell make it pretty. Happiness!

Posted by Or a Different Headline, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 17, 2014 at 5:36 pm

"City beautifies improved Arastradero Rd.". Its all how you look at it I guess...or where you live (nimby factor) or what kind of person you are: positive or negative.
For me, traffic sucked before, and it sucks now, but the crazy nut-job factor has been removed w/ the new striping, or at least the ability for the- crazy nut-job to act like a crazy nut-job so I guess that's cool.

Posted by KB, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Well, I have mixed feelings about this. The traffic was bad before, and now it's bad in a different way, perhaps worse than before. Speeds have definitely dropped, but I'm not sure that's completely a good thing -- dropping from 55 to 35 is good, dropping to 5 or 10 is not so good. I have to wonder how much traffic on Page Mill has gone up as cars have switched over there in response. Coming up soon -- the city will want to restripe Page Mill! Yikes.

I bike a lot in the area too, and have never understood why any cyclist would choose to bike on Arastradero instead of Maybell or Los Robles, unless you have a death-wish. I don't feel that improving cycling on Arastradero was a valid justification for the restriping, especially given the good alternative routes in the neighborhood. It's probably made things worse for cyclists on Maybell, as more car traffic seems to have shifted to that street to avoid the mess on Arastradero.

But our discussion here doesn't matter that much anyway -- the city has railroaded this project through from the beginning. (Yet another example…) The analysis they published last year on the results of the restriping was very flawed with statistically insignificant findings. Given that I've never seen a city employee or council member on this website (or in person for that matter), I'm not sure what griping about it here accomplishes -- clearly the city staff doesn't care what the residents think.

Perhaps the city should just make every intersection in Palo Alto a four-way stop, and every road one lane in either direction with speed bumps, and be done with it. That seems to be the direction we're going.

Posted by Sunshine, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Charleston/Arastradero has been a nightmare for many years. It has nt improved since the traffic commission gt hold of it; it has become far worse. Speeding and traffic has long been a problem on Arastradero, and in barron park. It has gotten far worse since the "renovation" of Arastradero. We have a steady stream of nonresidents zooming along matadero and other barron park streets in an attempt to avoid at least some of the mess and bottleneck.
The council members and all traffic engineers involved in putting this mess in place need to go at once. No more palo alto council. Go make your messes somewhere else. The only thing you can do to Arastradero that would be an improvement is to rip it all out.

Posted by senior, a resident of Gunn High School
on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I ride my bike daily because I don't have a car. I've noticed over the last couple of years that when things get tight (a couple of cars plus me on bike) that the cars use the extra space in the meridian to keep from hitting me. So I wonder what is going to happen when the planter boxes are there and the cars can squeeze into the tight spot.

I too think I'll bike on Maybell instead. It will take longer but safer.

Posted by Parent, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:28 pm

The traffic calming program has been a success so far and am looking forward to seeing the next phase be implemented.

Posted by Anna, a resident of South of Midtown
on Mar 17, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Instead of spending such a huge amount on landscaping, how about using that money for shuttle busses or school busses to get kinds to school, especially in bad weather, when no one wants to be on a bike.

Posted by Bob, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 17, 2014 at 9:49 pm

This is the absolute WORST approach to urban planning. "Slow down traffic to force people out of their cars??" That's a small minded approach. Seriously, look at Portland, Minneapolis, or any other well planned city and use that as an example. They have high bike commuters, public transportation ridership, and smooth automobile traffic.

Jaime should absolutely NOT be commended for this. He is a failure at his job and should relinquish immediately. He'd be better of collating and stapling at the local kinko's.

Posted by Need more circulation, less Exhaust , a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 18, 2014 at 12:09 am

Coming soon to this corridor: an 80% increase in the business traffic. And another high-density upzoning on that lot just before Maybell. And that monstrous hotel -- the 22,000 square feet to replace the 3,000 sq foot building that was there -- just as you round the corner coming from Arastradero turning right onto El Camino, opening soon. How many accidents do you suppose it will take there before City Council even entertains the idea of putting a light on their driveway and tying it to the light at El Camino? Oh, that's right, the City is planning on taking away the dedicated right turn there in order to reduce that problem. If no one can move, there will be fewer people to hit the cars coming out of the hotel.

Posted by Donald, a resident of South of Midtown
on Mar 18, 2014 at 7:17 am

Bob said "Jaime should absolutely NOT be commended for this" and he is correct. The Arastradero project all happened before Jaime was hired, so he had nothing to do with it.

Posted by Winning, a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Mar 18, 2014 at 12:08 pm

"Slow down traffic to force people out of their cars??"

Actually its "Slow down traffic to provide a safer road for all."

Posted by pares, a resident of Green Acres
on Mar 18, 2014 at 1:46 pm

It is not safer with all the mergers from two lanes to one lane. Every time I drive along the Charleston/Arastradero corridor, invariably some car behind me will speed up to pass me and squeeze me to stop.

It is also a problem getting out onto Arastradero from our neighborhood. We are polluting the air by having to wait a good 3 to 5 minutes to pull out, especially going left. And, trying to pull out without getting hit during the traffic commutes is very challenging.

We need a traffic light at either Los Palos or Pomona so that we can get out onto Arastrader during the rush hours!

Posted by Bob, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 18, 2014 at 1:51 pm

@winning you might be shocked to hear this, but there's a way to do both! (See: other cities in America and Europe)

I'm always baffled at the fact that Silicon Valley is supposed to have the highest concentration of bright minds in all of the land, yet we can't seem to solve simple solutions like traffic and public transportation. Irony at its finest.

Posted by sunshine, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 19, 2014 at 7:26 am

I have lived in Barron Park for over 40 years, thus I have extensive experience of the Arastradero corridor over a long time period. Even during former boom times, traffic on Arastradero during commute hours was no where near as bad as it is now. It is further exacerbated by the huge influx of cars along Matadero and Maybell that want to avoid the congestion on El Camino and the impossible corner at El Camino and Arastradero.
Formerly, traffic was bad during a short commute period mornings and afternoons. I think the problem has escalated due to several changes: 1. More people drive their children, even high school children, to school each day and pick them up in the afternoon; 2. Many more high school students have their own cars; 3. Many companies in the Industrial Park allow flex time, thus extending the commute hours; 4. Attempts to calm traffic, which do nothing of the sort. They may slow down traffic, but people are in a less calm frame of mind after traveling that route. Since there is no way to skirt the problem, it increases.
In the past, someone occasionally did 50 on Arastradero, but this was rare. It was more like 35. Some also do 50 on Matadero and don't stop at the stop sign at Laguna. Why not actually DO something about this? Now I find, from experimental research--the ONLY way to truly find the answer to a problem--that you are lucky to get over 10 MPH on Arastradero during most of the day, unless you drive a Tesla that does 0-60 in about 4 seconds.

Posted by learute, a resident of Evergreen Park
on Apr 9, 2014 at 5:46 am

learute is a registered user.

I believe that each problem has an efficient and even profitable solution. You just need to think carefully about the project, consider all options and to use the technique of brainstorming. Get matched with direct lenders at Web Link to get a good alternative to bridge financial challenges.

Posted by Observer, a resident of another community
on Apr 9, 2014 at 8:29 am

This is not a very enlightened commentary. If you're frustrated about waiting a few more seconds to traverse Arastradero, why not just say so?

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.