Beautiful Burmese fare

Original post made on Mar 7, 2014

Just about everyone orders the profoundly beautiful tea leaf salad at Rangoon Ruby, downtown Palo Alto's upscale Burmese hot spot. It tastes as good as it looks.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 7, 2014, 12:00 AM

Posted by real or fake
a resident of South of Midtown
on Mar 7, 2014 at 10:42 am

Do they use authentic recipes or do they dumb down their food for American tastes? Way too many "Asian-American" restaurants pump up the sugar and oil and reduce the fresh herbs to give their foods a more Americanized flavor.

Posted by T B Avoided
a resident of Community Center
on Mar 7, 2014 at 5:43 pm

We tried Rangoon Ruby last weekend after a movie at the Aquarius. We had to wait for nearly an hour to be seated, and another half hour to have someone take our order. Probably just the novelty of it all, and the chefs/servers are overwhelmed, we thought.

Wow, were we disappointed. We ordered one appetizer to split between the two of us, one salad to split between the two of us, two main courses and some rice, as well as one beer. The total: $116.60

We won't be back. Green Elephant on Charleston and Middlefield is better, tastier, and far, far cheaper: we have paid for a party of five for less than what we paid Rangoon Ruby last weekend!

Posted by Mr.Recycle
on Mar 7, 2014 at 7:54 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Mr.Recycle
on Mar 8, 2014 at 5:55 pm

My post was deleted, but I was just pointing out the TB Avoided's claim is impossible - go look at the menu. 1 appetizer, 1 salad, 2 entrees, rice, and a beer can't add up to anything close to 116.60, even if they picked the most expensive item in each section.

Posted by Long Time Resident
on Mar 8, 2014 at 7:56 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Mar 9, 2014 at 7:59 pm

My Burmese girlfriend and I went to Rangoon Ruby's a bit after they first opened.

She was surprised at how high the prices were, and now I see the menu the prices are noticeably even higher than they were then.

I don't know if this is a question of "dumbing down the recipes" for American tastes ... being American I usually prefer slightly less than authentic food, as I don't like fiery burning food. Also American ingredients are not usually so bad, though they are not going to be as fresh as in Burma where they buy food fresh in the market daily.

I was not so impressed. The Tea Leaf Salad to me was too dry for my American tastes. There are a lot of dry ingredients that make it hard for me to eat. I like greens and tomatoes with my salads, not nuts and seeds and dried tea leaves. But it is the prices that make many Palo Alto places hard to stomach for me.

I think the problem that reduces the quality of a lot of Palo Alto places is just the rent that is charged to the restaurant owners ... the have to find ways to cut costs and increase profits of they cannot do business. This is why so many Palo Alto restaurants are so over-priced and under-deliver.

I agree with TBA above, Green Elephant is a better deal with just as good food if not better. To tell the truth though, we most often go to Jing Jing the Chinese place next door.