Wouldn't a parking ticket be a reasonable way to enforce parking?

Original post made by Achromatic Intent on Jan 29, 2014

Imagine that you get the flu, or a house guest parks on your street, or you are called away for business, or any of the many reasons that someone may leave a car on the street for more than 72 hours.

Then you go outside and your car is gone!

I have lived in Palo Alto for 2.5 years and similar to many residents, I park on the street. The same small white Audi A4 car has parked in the same place, or close to it, over that span of time.

I am recently unemployed. I had no reason to go to my car; in fact, I enjoyed staying put for a few days.

I (now) understand muni code 10.36.030, a) in PA states parking is NOT ALLOWED on the street for more than 72 hours.

Stored/Impounded Vehicle Release Fee $135

Towing $200

Storage $50

So in this enlighten community, this brilliantly run city, this right minded municipality that is leading edge in conservation, energy efficiency, waste reduction, and human welfare you send your patrol car out twice to tow a resident's car (which by the way is parked exactly in the same spot where it was towed) requiring me to go to City Hall, pay a fine, so I can go to the towing company in Mountain View to pay an egregious amount of money, spending my time, my resources, city time and city resources for what feels like a punitive act that only benefits the towing company, and alienates me and my neighbor.

And to my neighbor, who anonymously reported my heinous transgression, really... wouldn't a note have solved your concern? It would have saved me a lot of grief, loss of $400 plus 1/2 day of my time.

Can you tell me how this action benefited anyone?

PA, how about a parking ticket? OR maybe even a phone call? you had all of my registration data in your database.

Posted by Robert, a resident of another community
on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Why didn't you park in your driveway or garage?

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:29 pm

What would you have done with the note?

Posted by Too small, a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Most PA houses have undersized garages, even six bedroom houses. Some have none, or just a carport. Many people live in houses too small for their families, nd must use the garage for storage, because they cannot afford a house large enough. Still others have converted their garage to a family room or a laundry room or an extra bedroom or nursery.

Many immigrant families have three generations and several cars under one roof, and excess cars park on the street. Others combine families and have excess cars. It is very, VERY hard to add a room to a house in PA. I know, we tried and were turned down by the city inspectors who told us we would have to have a lot half again as large as we have now to add one small bedroom and bath. They even fought us when we put a roof over our patio--just a roof, no walls--trying to say the lot was too small for even that! Fortunately we won that appeal.

Face it, not everyone who lives here is rich and can afford a large house with a three car garage.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Perhaps neighbors should talk to each other. Perhaps we should share when we are sick, away on vacation or unemployed with neighbors. Perhaps we should apologize to neighbors when our cars are left on the street without being moved for days. Perhaps we should ask our neighbors if everything is OK, if we see that their car hasn't been moved for a few days.

Faults on both sides here, I think.

Posted by So, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:39 pm

How long was the car there and why did you ignore the abandoned vehicle note that the police department put on your car?

Posted by Hutch 7.62, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:52 pm

If the vehicle is in front of your house and the vehicle is registered to your residence and the vehicle is registered. I do not see why the city should do anything at all.

The OP's neighbor is probably one of our ever increasing PA Yuppie NIMBY snobs who seem to hate anyone who makes less than 250k a year. You know, the ones who think they own the block because they paid millions of dollars for a miniscule PA house.

Posted by Law is the law, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Hutch-- as you can read in the original post, there is a city ordinance limiting parking in the. Same location for more than 72 hours. Period. Do you expect a parking officer to research whose car it is, whether it is I front of the house of the owner and where it is registered to? Hardly, the law was broke and the owner hot a ticket

Posted by Hutch 7.62, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:36 pm

@ law is a Law

Comunity service almost always runs plates on cars the get the 72. They would of known OP as a resident.

The greater problem is the overpopulation of the city and a "bought and paid for" city council who could care less if new construction has adequate parking.

But in the OP's case it sounds like his neighbors suck.

Posted by Law is the law, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Hutch-- the claim that a neighbor turned him in is just conjecture-- could be the car was noted days earlier and then cited. The facts that the plates were run and he was resident is irrelevant-- he admits the viIolation of the law.
This has nothing to do with the city council or new construction parking.

Posted by Hutch 7.62, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:40 pm

@Law is a Law man you are way to conservative to be a resident in Palo Alto. Normal Palo Alto Progressive thinking is all about bending the laws for your benefit as long as it's against the grain of Traditionalism. Then slaming you you neighbor for it cause god help they commit the same crime as you....

....... ;) LOL

(note sarcasm)

Posted by CrescentParkAnon., a resident of Crescent Park
on Jan 29, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Well, just think of all the cash this added to the GDP .... this is what our country is built on now instead of creating anything useful.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.