Flu Shot Question

Original post made by anonymous on Jan 13, 2014

The news is reporting the flu deaths as having resulted from H1N1 strain. Is that covered by this year's flu shot?

I've had my flu shot this year and last year, but I did not get the H1N1 separate shot a few years ago, because my spouse had the H1N1 - after having the regular flu shot that year which didn't cover H1N1 — and got sick REALLY fast (it's a terrible flu, GET the SHOT!) -- but I never got it despite close proximity so I figured I was immune to that strain. Like I said, we all got the shot this year -- but do we need to go out and get another one specifically for H1N1 like a few years ago? The news is confusing.

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:09 pm

Another question -- does shot immunity last more than a year? If I get my shot every year, will I start being immune to all kinds of viral illnesses?

Posted by yes and no, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:25 pm

Yes, this year's flu shot does cover the current H1N1 strain. However, flu shots from past years are less effective against all the current versions of the flu.

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:30 am

Thanks. I understand that strains change, but is there eventually a cumulative beneficial effect or does each year shot wear off?

Posted by Needles, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Flu shots offer only 5-6 months of protection. Some people with immune deficits or respiratory illnesses get one injection in the early fall and another in the early spring, so they do not catch the flu just as the vaccine wears off.

Posted by Huh?, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:03 pm

Wow, it seems easier to Google for this answer rather than ask the general public who are apt to dole out misinformation.

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:15 pm

@Huh?
Do you have a reputable link - please share. I wouldn't draw any conclusions from a claim from an anonymous online poster, but my own past experience makes me wonder if there is something to Needles' point (no pun intended).

Posted by Data, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:48 am

Web Link

I've only found data stating that the shot is only good for the "flu season". Needles could be correct because the season ends in April, so depending upon when the shot was injected, maybe a second shot would help, but ask a physician.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 15, 2014 at 10:56 am

Hmmm is a registered user.

Needles is correct.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.