Officer cited for 'discourteous' conduct

Original post made on Jan 9, 2014

A Palo Alto police officer faced disciplinary action after he swore at a pedestrian at a crosswalk, refused to disclose his name and proceeded to run several stop signs, according to a report from the city's independent police auditor.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, January 9, 2014, 9:28 AM

Posted by streets are for cars
a resident of Downtown North
on Jan 9, 2014 at 10:18 am

[Post removed.]

Posted by Local Reisdent
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:27 am

It is always important that police are held to the highest standards. they are afforded tremendous power to enforce the laws as they see fit, and as they judge the public's behavior all the time, their behavior must be impeccable.
I know that they are human and can be as frustrated as the rest of us, but they enforce the most minor infractions, that sometimes have long term effects on the individual. they should not be allowed any behavior other than perfect.

Posted by Streets are for everyone
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:29 am

Everyone, even a driver, is a pedestrian sometimes, and pedestrians must use streets. Bicyclists are required by LAW to use the streets. Many people cannot drive because they don't have a license--either due to their age or some physical infirmity.

Streets are for everyone. Please share our public streets with courtesy and law abiding civility.

Posted by citizen
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:40 am

About time they were called on behavior. Most are very polite but some are churlish and even abusive to our young adults, making Palo Alto seem barbaric and unintelligent.

Posted by Hermia
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:53 am

Cop yells at pedestrian, immediately turns himself in.
I adore Palo Alto.

Posted by palo alto resident
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:55 am

Thanks to the Palo Alto resident for notifying the police chief regarding the officer's misbehavior and rude conduct.

When I first moved to Palo Alto, two years ago, my husband was driving our car and I sat in the passenger side seat when he ran a redlight near intersection E. Meadow & Alma. There were two police officers in one patrol car, and both got out of their car to approach our vehicle. The officer dealing with my husband was courteous, where as the other one who approached me became aggressive because he asked for my personal identification and I said no. I had done nothing wrong, and the police officer was insinuating I must be a criminal because I did not provide him with my information. The assault on my rights pursued and in the end I stood my ground, but with much resistance from the police officer.

After much research, I know I should have filed a written complain to internal affairs. If this happens to anyone, be sure to get as much information as possible, badge number, name , unit number and license plate if possible. Write down the time, date and location of traffic stop.

I'm wondering if it too late to act...

Posted by Abe Mitchell
a resident of Meadow Park
on Jan 9, 2014 at 1:04 pm

Laughable really, a policeman swears at a pedestrian and the policeman is cautioned. Yet were the boot on the other foot the pedestrian would walk away without even a word of caution. Rich!!!

Posted by Joe
on Jan 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm

The in-car video showed that the officer ran stop signs, for no legitimate reason. Any reason he shouldn't be issued traffic citations? Doesn't the same law that requires the rest of us to stop at stop signs apply to police officers too?

Posted by Mr.Recycle
on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:53 pm

This is far worse than the taser cop, who should get a commendation for stopping a bicycle thief.

Posted by Yo Momma
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:53 pm

How about posting the names of the officers in these "news"?

Posted by bill g
on Jan 9, 2014 at 8:57 pm

"...The officer, who was reportedly on his way to investigate a report of an assault, stopped his patrol car "several feet into the intersection,..."
"...that he was "driving unsafely with his emergency equipment activated."

I thought when emergency equipment was activated, it meant that the officer had the right of way and that people were to clear the road, not wave at the officer. And the officer can proceed through a stop sign in such case.

Seems to me we don't have enough information to pass judgement either way.