Palo Alto Rooster network aims to foster neighborliness

Original post made on Dec 17, 2013

In many ways, technology has erased the proverbial world in which if a person ran out of sugar, he or she would go next door to borrow a cup from a neighbor.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, December 14, 2013, 6:41 PM

Posted by Jonathan
on Dec 17, 2013 at 5:38 am

Why do we need the Internet for this?
Just knock on your neighbour's door like you used to before the Internet existed...

Posted by Tali
on Dec 18, 2013 at 11:41 am

Jonathtan you are absolutely right. I wish we didn't need the internet for these things, but turns out at this day and age a lot of us do. So Rooster becomes the virtual 'knock on the door' :)

Also, some things happen on Rooster that your next door neighbor sometimes wouldn't be the best solution for. As an example: A couple of folks are now exchanging lessons in Mandrin and English with each other, folks are finding ride shares, dog sitters, and dinner buddies, a student found volunteers to act in her student film and the list goes on and on. It's just about reaching the right neighbor at the right time, who can help with a specific thing. And when the time is right one can give help back, to a different person, with a different problem, that's appropriate for them.

Posted by DT North
a resident of Downtown North
on Dec 19, 2013 at 10:39 am

Just out of curiosity - am wondering how this is different from "Nextdoor" which many of us are using? (which I do find very handy!)

Posted by Boring, boring
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:02 am

Yet another would-be neighborly network?
If you are interested in pet sitters this is the place for you. For the rest of us, it's boring and time wasting. God bless the delete key.

Posted by Paul
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 19, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Check out nearbycircle dot com as well in Palo Alto. I know all the values of your work. Today we chat with friends remotely but barely know our neighbors. But neighborhood social network is very hard to crack for psychological reasons IMHO. People want preserve privacy, keep some distance from neighbors who are physically close to us. Especially you don't want let others know you are out of town for 2 weeks when asking for pet sitting.

Posted by Joyce
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Unless you want to ask them to pet sit and watch your place!
"Especially you don't want let others know you are out of town for 2 weeks when asking for pet sitting."

Posted by Johny
a resident of Downtown North
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:48 am

I have been using Rooster for a while and I absolutely love the idea. May we see more of this happening in our neighborhood.

Posted by Annette
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:58 am

This is nice, I joined. I'm not so much concerned with privacy issues or theft. The prospect is appealing to me, and I can't see much of a risk there to be honest.

Posted by Aaron
on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I've used rooster several times and I live near Palo Alto but not in it. Its an idea with real promise, and people are joining every week. I'd give it a go if I were you.