Juana Run race could cross finish line

Original post made on Nov 7, 2013

The 18-year run of a popular Palo Alto foot race that raised money for local schools could come to an end in February if its founder can't find someone to fill her racing shoes.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, November 7, 2013, 9:25 AM

Posted by Fred
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

It would a real loss if we lost this neighborhood institution. Karen Saxena is a gem, having created this event from scratch and carried it on her back so many years. We can only hope that other step up to keep it going.

Posted by JM
a resident of Juana Briones School
on Nov 7, 2013 at 10:48 am

I have been running at the Juana Run for several years now and I love it! You don't see a lot of neighborhood sports events having this kind appeal.

It's especially amazing to see all these little ones I know going from 1/4 mile "play run" to beat me at 8K, all in these several short years.

I haven't found another sports which could touch me this way yet.

Posted by Amy
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:18 am

As the former Race Director of the Palo Alto Moonlight Run and partipant of the PA Grand Prix series, I want to thank Karen for years of effort and commitment to the Palo Alto community. She was great to work with during my 14 year stint - I wanted to take the opportunity to thank her and asknowledge her efforts. Hopefully, someone will take the lead of Juana Run - there is nothing like a run, walk event to bring families and community together.

Posted by Becky Thomas
on Nov 7, 2013 at 11:53 am

Karen has done an amazing job and has raised ~$200,000 for our schools. What an amazing thing for a parent to do! If you see her, please thank her! Karen will be missed and the Juana Run won't be the same without her.

Posted by Spud
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I'm very sad that this race may be coming to an end. It's my most favorite local run, seeing the families together, and with a nice, small community feel to it.

Kudos to Karen for doing such a wonderful job, and for such a long time. I hope someone will be able to pick up the torch and carry it on for the schools and the community.

Posted by palo alto resident
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Nov 9, 2013 at 10:06 am

Thank you Karen Saxena for your years of volunteering! I hope you serve as an inspiration to current parents of younger children - volunteers are a source of much of what makes our schools and City a wonderful place to live! Not only do these events raise money, but they are also wonderful community builders!

Posted by Jack
a resident of Juana Briones School
on Nov 10, 2013 at 2:57 am

The Juana Run is a staple of my childhood. I have a t shirt from nearly every year. Even running it a few times after I returned from college always brought me great joy. It is a wonderful community event and I sincerely hope it will be able to continue in some form!

Another thanks to the Saxenas for their dedication to this great event!

Posted by Peek Cup
on Nov 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I used to run this race frequently, until a severe injury necessitated a knee replacement. I have actually considered walking this race sedately with hiking poles, if they would let me. It was that much fun, and very much a Palo Alto happening.

I do sincerely hope that a way can be found to carry on the tradition.

Posted by Pick it up
on Nov 12, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I haven't run this race in over six years, but I do hope it continues for at least six more. It's a unique race so I hope the Juana Briones PTA picks it up and keeps it going. The principal can lead this, especially now that she's been inspired by the race. Or maybe Barron Park and its principal can pick up the leadership of this race. Work together and you can do a lot for Palo Alto kids.

Posted by Barron Park parent
a resident of Barron Park School
on Jan 18, 2014 at 9:27 pm

We will miss Karen as an amazing organizer. Let's keep the race alive. Show your support to Karen for this year's run which will be next month. Like the Juana Runs Facebook page and let's get moving. Web Link.