Dogs and owners invited to 'Dog-O-Ween'

Original post made on Oct 24, 2013

A Palo Alto High School student is calling all dogs and their owners to come to Rinconada Park this Saturday for Dog-O-Ween, a benefit for the Palo Alto Animal Shelter.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 1:34 PM

Posted by moi, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 24, 2013 at 10:31 am

Please, a suggestion on wording:

Not dog "owner" --

Let's say "guardian" instead.

We need to re-think our relationships with our companion animals.

Posted by Owner, a resident of another community
on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:10 am

I own a dog. I consider myself his owner. I got him at PA Animal Services. He gets top quality grain free food. Shots are up to date. "Fixed." Gets taken out at least twice a day and on trips hiking or to the beach once a week. But I guess to you he is poorly treated because I don't say "guardian."

Posted by Jose Gonzales, a resident of Barron Park
on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:30 am

i own a dog and he hates me. Tried treats, massages, everything but in vain Can someone help me help my dog to love me? Thanks. I am desperate!

Posted by Yes I OWN one, a resident of Midtown
on Oct 24, 2013 at 11:43 am

Glad there is an event that will make the streets more walkable by people. The dogs will be occupied elsewhere.
Dogs are property, alive, like other living things, which we also treat with care. Please don't turn them into human beings, it sounds a little pathetic.
Adopt a child if you want to do something humane.

Posted by Nora Charles, a resident of Stanford
on Oct 24, 2013 at 3:48 pm

What a wonderful event! Kudos to Kristen DeStefano and everyone else involved in organizing this. I look forward to it.

As to moi's comment, language does matter, and defines how we perceive things. That dogs or cats are considered property diminishes their significance, and opens the door to poor treatment by uncaring people. Property is a car or a book, not a living thing. Not at all "pathetic," but thoughtful and kind.

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Jordan Middle School
on Oct 24, 2013 at 5:51 pm

This sounds like a a great and clever idea!
I like this event better than the one at Town and Country because this event is actually for a very good cause and is affiliated with the shelter.

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Community Center
on Oct 25, 2013 at 4:49 pm

@Jose Gonzalez. My dog didn't like me at first. It took time for him to trust me. He still doesn't like family members who hit him or threatened to throw their shoes at him. Dogs are kind of like children, they remember who is mean or nice to them. Also, my dog became friendlier with me because I walked him. He bonded with family members who took him for a walk. I guess it's part of his pact mentality, being part of our family. Watch dog whisperer if you can. It helps.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.