Water quality bad?

Original post made by GV, Greenmeadow, on Oct 12, 2013

It feels like the water quality in PA has really deteriorated: I can clearly smell chemicals now from the tap water, it's not just a chlorine smell. In addition, after I take a shower, my entire body itches. It's got to the point where I find the smell/itching intolerable. For drinking water, yes, I use a filter but it gets old when I can't take a decent shower, or when I have to deal with the smell first thing in the AM when I brush my teeth.

I live in greenmeadow, and the water in the pool seems of better quality than the city water supply w.r.t chemical smells. Yes, this level of chemicals might reduce bacteria, but who knows what kind of cancer this brings..Do others feel like the level of chemicals in the water has gone up?

Posted by Tis So
on Oct 12, 2013 at 9:19 am

Yup, it is SO bad that all of the filters on all of my water faucets have been clogged. It is so bad that the two water filters on my washing machine have to be changed once a week ( normal,is once every six weeks). It is so bad that my kitchen water filtration system has had to be changed out twice this year ( normal is once a year). And it is so bad that it ruined my fairly new water heater, just four years old, which should have lasted 12-15 years.

Posted by water bearer
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Oct 12, 2013 at 11:05 am

I think the city needs to test its water. I believe it has become a health hazard. I discovered that the stomach upsets I was having were linked to drinking Palo Alto tap water. It is ironic that a city that prides its self for going green has opted to use toxic chemicals to "purify" its water. The county even warns that the chloramine disinfectant that the city is using is toxic to fish and amphibians.....what about us? Chloramine can not be boiled out or filtered out easily. Are we inadvertently poisoning ourself by our stupidity?

Web Link.

Web Link

Posted by Sam Carlo
on Oct 12, 2013 at 11:30 am

"I discovered that the stomach upsets I was having were linked to drinking Palo Alto tap water."

Yeah, want to add a little bit, here? Please, please elaborate.

Last year, in Oct/Nov, there was an algae 'bloom' (not what the water dept called it, but similar) in the HH water that clogged filters. Methinks it's happening again.

The smell - that's result of the fire. Dumping a ton of crap into the water, is my guess.

Posted by Tis So
on Oct 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm

The company that replaced our water heater blames it on all the construction being done from San Mateo County to San Jose; that is where they are replacing the most water heaters suddenly. locations south of Mtn View do not use HH water.

+   1 person likes this
Posted by Jamila Falcon
a resident of Ventura
on Nov 7, 2014 at 8:25 pm

I stopped drinking the tap water in Palo Alto about two months ago. I buy bottled water and bags of ice from the grocery stores. This may not be safer, but it certainly tastes better. Every year at this time, the water quality in Palo Alto is awful. I've most recently taken a drink from water fountains in Redwood City and San Francisco, and the water tasted great in both places. If you pay taxes in this town, you ought to get a rebate of some sort for having to actually buy drinking water in the months of September and October, and now this year, in November.

Never mind paying taxes, how about paying the exorbitant rent? We're living in a place that is sitting on top of numerous chemical plumes--the legacy of the electronics industries--and the water tastes terrible.

+   1 person likes this
Posted by No Flow
a resident of Green Acres
on Nov 7, 2014 at 11:44 pm

You guys are getting water? We have almost no water pressure anymore certain times of the day especially, sometimes I think it's going to quit altogether.

We've had many of the same problems as Tis So.

Posted by It's because of the time of year and drought
on Nov 8, 2014 at 7:05 am

Many people do not realize that in times like this and this time of year, the quality of water falls because it is being taken from "the bottom of the barrel" so to speak. The warm weather produce more bacterias and as they take water from deeper in their wells, more treatment is needed to eliminate the bactria. I'm not sure it is the current cause, but if the quality improves once it begins to rain and cooler weather takes hold, you'll know what the issue likely was.

Posted by @ Time of Year
on Nov 8, 2014 at 7:20 am

Many people do not realize Palo Alto does not get water from a well.