Emergency Alert for Pancake Breakfast?

Original post made by Pomegranate on Oct 11, 2013

Why is the Emergency Alert system being used to promote a PAFD pancake breakfast?

I got a text and a phone call with the promotional announcement.

Not cool PAFD! Save the Alert SCC system for REAL EMERGENCIES ONLY!

Posted by Palo Parent, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:05 am

Maybe them pancakes are really, really good?

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I was at a meeting when this occurred and several phones rang. I opened mine thinking it was an emergency.

If this continues, we will start ignoring the messages and like the boy who called wolf, we won't know when there is a real emergency.

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I agree, I don't think this is the appropriate use of this emergency alert function. Keep it for "real" alerts to PA residents and workers who have signed up for that.

Posted by Otho, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Yes, it was alarming and inappropriate. I am surprised there is not a mandatory large fine for such a fraudulent use of the emergency system!

Posted by KPIX5, a resident of another community
on Oct 15, 2013 at 11:35 am

Does anyone have photo of the message on their phone?? Please email it to us @NewsDesk@KPIX.com

Thank you!

Posted by Two cents, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Oct 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I agree this was a ridiculous use of the system. I work nights and was woken up by the message. I deleted my account.

Dear KPIX: According to the SCC Alert website, one can dial 1-877-737-5291 from the number called to replay the message. I tried but it did not play. Hopefully another resident will have better luck and can send it to you. The call came from 650-329-2498 at 9:00am on 10/11. Contact Charlie Cullen with the City of Palo Alto and ask him to send you a copy of this "emergency message." He is in charge of it. Thanks for doing a story on it.

Posted by Neighbor, a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I know this will be unpopular, but I liked getting the notice about the emergency pancake breakfast made by firemen.

Posted by Not an issue, a resident of Community Center
on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm

How come the weekly isn't doing a story on this? Oh, wait, I know.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I agree, at least 3 local tv stations are carrying this story. It seems very strange that the Weekly is not reporting.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.