Doug Moran's blog

Original post made by Biased blog on Oct 11, 2013

Doug Moran must be in seventh heaven--the weekly has given him a blog in which he controls the content and editing. For years, Doug has been critical of the editing of this forum (i.e. it was not edited to his liking--comments he did not like were not immediately removed). Now he gets to censor comments by those that disagree with his stands on issues

Doug mentions on his blog:
"However, any comments that venture too far into right/wrong will be deleted by me (as off-topic). This is not censorship:"
ad
"For "I'm right, you're wrong," go elsewhere."

But that has been Doug's mantra for years--that he is right and everyone else is wrong. Views that are not in complete agreement with his view are not to be tolerated. Only Doug knows the real facts of the issues--everyone else is being misleading.

Giving Doug a blog with editing control is a serious mistake by the Weekly.

Posted by Brevity, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:02 am

Mr. Moran might profitably investigate the virtues of brevity.

Posted by Michele Dauber, a resident of Barron Park
on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:06 am

I posted this morning a brief comment on Doug's post disagreeing that it was objective and pointing out some of the more egregiously biased statements on Measure D. I don't know that he shouldn't have a blog -- I mean who cares? But the idea that Doug is somehow giving us an objective way to understand the debate over Measure D is ridiculous. Anyway, the comment was deleted. So there you go.

Posted by Biasedblog, a resident of Stanford
on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:46 am

Michelle--noticed that your reasonable post was deleted from Doug's blog. Not surprised. You are correct that Doug is not objective. There is only one right opinion and that is Doug's and there is only one correct set of facts and that is Doug's (according to Doug).
i think most people realize Doug's attitude toward those that disagree with him. Hopefully his blog will be ignored.

Posted by Michele Dauber, a resident of Barron Park
on Oct 11, 2013 at 11:53 am

It's very unfortunate that BPA has been divided by Measure D this way. It would have been reasonable for BPA to decide to stay out of it since there are members, including a past president, myself, and others, who support Measure D. That's not what the board decided and that's democracy, but it is very regrettable in my opinion because of the strong views on the part of the opposition and the willingness to, for example, make personal attacks on PACC members and on PAHC staff and board. That part of this was truly unanticipated at least by me. It's one thing to oppose the development, which is fine, and quite another to attack the integrity of public officials and nonprofit managers without any evidence. I don't think this has been a good thing at all. And now today the Weekly has published a fact check type piece that finds, unsurprisingly that there is absolutely nothing to the charges of "backroom dealing" etc. that have been made, but that's a bit of a barn door/horse issue. The Weekly has been letting these folks broadcast their unfounded accusations of corruption for weeks. Don't you think the time to "fact check" these allegations was before you published them a thousand times?

Anyway, I don't begrudge Doug his platform or his views. But he's not objective.

Posted by Dougless, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Doug can have his blog, we do not have to read it. if he gets no comments, he will ( hopefully, possibly) get the point.

Posted by curmudgeon, a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 11, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Doug's got a comment. I'll save you the trouble of finding his blog (which may require some searching on this new layout) by copying it here:

As excellently written and argued as usual, Mr Moran. I see this election as a citizens' revolt against the assault on our quality of life by the incredibly reckless development binge being pushed down our gullets by our heedless city government. It is too bad that we must vote against housing for seniors (nominal as it is in this instance) to make our point, but that vote will make the message that much stronger.

NO!! on D

Posted by Resident, a resident of Community Center
on Oct 11, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Michelle Dauber,

People in public office are not exactly off limits, as you may know from your engagement with Skelly, Toma, or other Palo Alto district staff in raising important issues that matter to the entire community.

You never got personal? I'm not even sure if Toma is a public figure, he is now though.

But you are not always right, Opposing D is the democratic process.

I oppose D for so many reasons, it's a very very messy deal.

I do not know any of the players.

I admire the people who have been working on opposing D.

Thank you BPA.

Posted by Michele Dauber, a resident of Barron Park
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:00 pm

What I said was "quite another to attack the integrity of public officials and nonprofit managers without any evidence." The key words are "without any evidence."

I'd be happy to rehearse the evidence about Mr. Toma's appropriateness to serve as the IS of the Paly Math department at any point, though it would be off topic for this thread. There is plenty of evidence to support everything I have said about him, though I did not attack his integrity or suggest that he is corrupt as those against Measure D have done with PAHC managers.

[Portion removed.]

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Most Seniors do not Need Senior Housing But Could Benefit from other Choice to Remain in Palo Alto
By Steve Levy | 54 comments | 2,360 views

Custom pizza joint on its way to Mountain View

"The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden"
By Anita Felicelli | 0 comments | 1,275 views