What's with 101S bumper-to-bumper?

Original post made by Palo Alto Native on Sep 21, 2013

It was backed up last night, backed-up this morning, and backed up now. I cancelled my trips so I never got to the root of it. If someone survived, please let me know to quench my curiosity. Thanks.

Posted by PACA, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:08 pm

29th Moonlight Run last night and Stanford Football today.

Posted by Driver, a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Just got back from taking a short cut through Google as it was backed up SB from Embarcadero to south of Shoreline. It seemed to be at a standstill. Can't be Stanford game as sb traffic would have been leaving at Embarcadero. Must be the weather!

Posted by Palo Alto Native, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Sep 21, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Right, it's southbound traffic that's backed-up past Embarcadero, not northbound. Maybe it's that California drivers fall apart when it rains.

Posted by Maybe, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Sep 21, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Could they possibly be completing the extended construction? Nah.

Posted by Driver, a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 21, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Someone just sent me this youtube video taken at 2.30 this afternoon

Web Link

Posted by musical, a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 21, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Traffic reports (AM radio) said a northbound truck overturned in the rain and hit the divider, knocking concrete into the southbound lanes. I opted for 280 instead.

Posted by Freeway, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Sep 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm

@Driver: Why was that person taking a video while driving, especially with a child in the car? It's illegal to do that, not to mention stupid and dangerous.

Posted by Palo Alto Native, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Sep 21, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Thanks for the info!

Posted by musical, a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 22, 2013 at 2:50 am

@Freeway, the videographer was in the back seat. I assume the driver was in the front seat, probably the guy whose window reflection appears at upper right resembling the YouTube account profile photo.

@Driver, thanks for the link. 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute. I watched us land on the moon, but could never have predicted this.

Posted by Driver, a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 22, 2013 at 7:46 am

I do not know the person who took the video, but it was posted and shared on Facebook and I got it from one of my friends.

I think the camera was a back seat passenger. I posted it because I felt people who were stuck in the traffic may have liked to know.

I have not seen anything about how serious the injuries were. It looks quite a horrendous accident and I heard that they were still working on the center median many hours later and the traffic was bad all evening.

I believe there were bad accidents all over due to the heavy rain yesterday.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.