Woodside: Good Samaritan killed on I-280 identified

Original post made on Jul 23, 2013

A man who was killed on Interstate 280 in Woodside on Sunday morning (July 21) had likely stopped to help victims of a crash, the California Highway Patrol said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, July 23, 2013, 9:31 AM

Posted by Raymond
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:36 am

He was a Good Samaritan and didn't deserve to die that way.

Why do people think that they can dash across lanes in front of on-coming traffic? Doesn't everyone know that it is difficult to judge distance and speed for objects traveling towards you?

I do.

Posted by cid young
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:11 am

Especially at almost 3 AM, in the dark!

Posted by Questions remain
on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:45 pm

What was an eighteen-yr-old doing out at 3 a.m., driving an SUV?

Posted by Judi Kiel
a resident of Woodside
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:50 pm

A terrible and heartbreaking tragedy. This man is a hero.
My sincerest condolences to his family & friends for their loss.

Posted by so sad
on Jul 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

We were recently stranded on an Idaho interstate, and a man pulled over to ask if we had needed help. We had already called AAA who also called the highway patrol, so we were buckled in, on the side of the narrow shoulder, and just waiting for the tow truck. No way did I want someone else to risk their life trying to change our tire on the interstate side! (I wish he had approached from the passenger side, it made me nervous enough for him approaching from the driver side, because too many people were not switching into the far lane and were whizzing by at 70 mph.

If we had been stuck on the road and he had flares to put out, I would have been more than happy to ask for help. But I did not want to endanger him when the AAA tow truck was (supposed) to arrive soon. It turned out the AAA roadside assistance involved changing our tire rather than towing -- on the interstate side! -- but at least his giant vehicle was parked behind us, at a distance, and I suppose it helped guide more people to take the far lane when they passed.

This is so sad. I realized from our situation that I did not feel like I had a very good idea of the right thing to do when stranded on the interstate like that. There was no way for us to exit the vehicle and get out of the way as there was barbed wire fencing not far from the shoulder, and no exit close enough for us to slowly make our way on the shoulder to. We just sat buckled in the car, which is what I remembered being told to do. But if someone needs assistance in the middle of a road because of an accident... It's too bad he did not have flares....

Posted by Silicon Vaaaalleey
on Jul 25, 2013 at 11:31 am

Who cares if an 18 year old is out at 3AM. They're an adult. That is none of your business.

I Told My Mom She's Dying