East Palo Alto Police enforce one-night curfew

Original post made on May 31, 2013

The one-night curfew enforcement that East Palo Alto Police Chief Ron Davis announced at a community meeting Wednesday night yielded no contacts with youth and no detentions, he tweeted Friday morning.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, May 30, 2013, 5:04 PM

Posted by mutti
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 31, 2013 at 12:14 pm

People complaining about lack of jobs in EPA need to look a little wider. There are several businesses on University Ave in Palo Alto with Help Wanted signs in the windows. This is a short bus-ride away. BUT these businesses want young people who will dress appropriately (not expensively), speak nicely, and be responsible hard workers.

I heard a group of EPA 5th graders recite a poem about Attitude this morning -- it's all about your attitude. Don't sit back and wait for the City fathers to hand you a job. Hustle out there and find one for yourself!

Posted by Raymond
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 31, 2013 at 1:53 pm

I was witness to gunfire late one night in EPA, Whiskey Flat. When a police officer showed up and started surveying the 'crime scene', I went out and told him which way I saw the 'shooter' run.

The 'officer' didn't want to know. Didn't take my name, didn't pursue, just plain didn't care.

In fact, his demeanor toward ME was less than friendly.

I understood, at that moment, that I was expecting too much for him to risk his life in order to protect the neighborhood.

Need I say more?

Posted by Leland
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 31, 2013 at 5:40 pm

My apologies for the delay in providing the following;
The City/Community & School District is absent of a Public Saftey Committee and has been for many years. Much of the records are
available for review to anyone interested in discussing the, much
needed, re-initiation of this committee. In addition to this, public
safety communications policies associated with our vast electronics
communications industry within this mid-peninsula area should also
be a concern among the residents. Steps have already been initiated
through our 911 Community Monitoring Station to request the
assistance from the Federal Communications Communications [FCC] to help us better understand our surrounding technical problems...[c/o Community History Survey and Safe Day Campaign....
communityhistorysurvey@yahoo.com, 650 461 0276

Posted by unknown
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 31, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Alot of these young fellas have no parent to tell them whats bad from good. so the. Seek friends/ the streets as part of their family. I suggest for the parents to pay more attention to their children, who they hang out with. The street life is not a beautiful life that nobody deserves. Also, if the East Palo Alto police department wants to make a change in the community, they should start by not harrasing the people and patrol more the streets.

Posted by Candy
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 31, 2013 at 11:35 pm

The recent curfew enforcement is brilliant! Good work Chief!

Posted by EPA Resident
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jun 2, 2013 at 7:49 am

Finally a "what if we try this" strategy out of the Chief. Good, good. Afterall, he is the man leading the police. Take charge Chief, act the role, be unafraid to use your hounds to hunt down these Wolves.
Now we need our other city bigwigs to do the same with their respective positions. You're not here to just sit around in big chairs. You're here to perform certain tasks and duties. Earn your paychecks, be deserving of praise; apply what knowledge and experiences got you the job in the first place.
Remember, A governing force never really "rules" the populace, it is only there to maintainsmaintain some kind of order.

Posted by C C
a resident of Mountain View
on Jun 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

I lived in EPA for years. I worked in Palo Alto for years. I got stopped everyday that I worked and closed at Stanford Shopping Center for years walking home because the last bus already left. Even if I was in a buttoned up shirt I got stopped all of the time because I looked out of place in Palo Alto. EPA needs to develop more programs to allow children and youth to hang out in just a safe environment. The only place to hang out is a program that you must be signed up for. The Plugged In and U-Turn centers are gone. Reality is that everybody under the age of 18 cannot find a job. They need to be somewhere that is nurturing and allows them to grow with as many positive influences as possible vs the current method of either keep kids off the streets or they need to work. These children are present with grown situations everyday and see the way the city and its citizens function. These are children there is no perfect one way solution to fix everything for the youth in EPA. The only thing you can do is provide positive alternatives hopefully as many as possible to catch as many youth before they fall through the cracks.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jun 2, 2013 at 1:03 pm

C C - may I ask if you're white? I am not trying to be rude. I ask because I've also lived in EPA for years & now my husband has, too. We NEVER get stopped when walking or cycling in Palo Alto or Menlo, even if we're near a closed business. People outside of EPA generally like to refuse to believe that there's a disparity between how I get treated & how non-whites get treated in the surrounding areas.