Greenpeace sidewalk-blocking

Original post made by Citizens for Unobstructed Sidewalks, University South, on Apr 23, 2013

Am I the only one who objects to Greenpeace's sidewalk-blocking? They have the right to canvass in public, of course, but they deliberately plant themselves in the middle of the sidewalk at both ends of the Apple Store on University so you have to walk around them. What's the line between free speech and obstructing public ways?

Posted by resident
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Apr 23, 2013 at 6:46 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Free OSHA
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Apr 23, 2013 at 7:15 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by bru
on Apr 23, 2013 at 10:37 pm

bru is a registered user.

> so you have to walk around them.

If you're Stephen Hawking, you might have a point, otherwise just walk around them. When I'm downtown Palo Alto I have to walk around all kinds of things.

Posted by Chris Zaharias
on Apr 24, 2013 at 8:42 am

I often exercise my right to argue with them over their assumption of moral righteousness. They don't like that, but someone needs to confront them.

Posted by vote with your feet
on Apr 24, 2013 at 9:49 am

Thanks for the heads up. I rarely go into downtown PA and will avoid that area you noted.
You are doing a service by alerting more people to their discourtesy and strong arm tactics, so others will consider not donating/supporting them. I don't care who you are, if you operate in this fashion, I won't support you or do business with you. I guess it's like having a bad experience with a restaurant or business - I don't believe everything on YELP (in terms of negative reviews), but I do know my own experiences (or those of publicly able to be corroborated things like from the OP) and the solution is to take your business/support elsewhere.

Posted by Guess What?
on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Now they are accosting people on California Avenue as well. Not just one or two, but several of them!

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

This is one of the best public first world problems ever! I'm pretty green, but not w/envy - I find them obnoxious as well. They need to go to Eco Etiquette Academy.

Posted by Sean
a resident of Ventura
on May 2, 2013 at 9:35 am

I live on Wilton Avenue and sidewalk blocking by the same few vehicles is an everyday occurrence. Is it illegal? I would love to have something done about it if it is as it is dangerous for pedestrians to have to walk out on the busy road to get around a parked vehicle. I am not sure how disabled people in wheelchairs deal with this issue.