Karate Kick-a-thon to support families from Newtown

Original post made by Jon Keeling on Dec 15, 2012

I have been teaching Karate and Self-Defense in this area for many years and have been organizing an annual charity kick-a-thon for quite a few years as well.

We just added a second charity option for this coming week's event (we had previously set it up to benefit Direct Relief, itself a very worthy cause). The United Way of Western Connecticut created the 'Sandy Hook School Support Fund' to provide support to people affected by this tragedy in normally very quiet Newtown, CT.

We will be attempting to perform 2013 punches + 2013 kicks in the adult class. In the kids' classes, we will try to do as many as 500 kicks. It is a challenge, to put it mildly. But we will all try, knowing that we are doing it for a great cause (or two).

Please note that this is a bit personal for me, as I grew up in Newtown. Teaching Karate and self-defense to our community is my life. I want to keep kids as safe as possible. I started teaching Karate in Newtown in 1984. It is possible that some of my past students had children at that school.

For more information on our kick-a-thon event, please see the following:
Web Link

If you make a donation to support our efforts, please send me a note (jon@jkasv.com; if the Palo Alto Online staff decides to edit out this email address, hopefully they will at least keep "Please contact me through the website"). You can take the tax benefit and try to get company matching. I am just keeping track of our fundraising efforts.

Thank you.

Posted by Jon Keeling, a resident of Midtown
on Dec 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm

In case you have any problems with the link I originally posted, this one is actually more direct:

Web Link

Thank you.

Posted by Pacifist, a resident of Professorville
on Dec 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

How about something more pacifist, given the tragedy?

Do you really have to promote your business in this way?

Folks: the Red Cross and numerous other agencies will help also, or you can just send the donation to whomever the karate kid says he is sending it to.

Without violence.

Posted by Jon Keeling, a resident of Midtown
on Dec 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Please note that I am NOT asking anyone to send donations to me or our Karate group. Please make your donations to the charity itself. We are trying to bring more attention to this charity through our event, as we have done with many charities over the years.

Also, please note that we are not just a NON-violent group but actually ANTI-violence. Our punches & kicks are done in the air. And I remind my kids very often that they are never to use their skills except in extreme situations of self-defense (which rarely, but unfortunately sometimes may happen). One of our motto's in the kids' classes is "The best defense is a good DEFENSE." :-)

Posted by geraldine, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Dec 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Pacifist, that was mean. Especially for a pacifist, if that is what you truly are.

Posted by coat tails of tragedy, a resident of Jordan Middle School
on Dec 15, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Marketing promotion based on this tragedy?

Weak.

Training kids to fight is okay, I respect some of the values, but lay off the massacre.

Posted by Read the post, a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Dec 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Did you guys even read his post? He's FROM Newtown.

Please, put the skepticism aside for once and be grateful for this man's efforts to help his community heal.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Palo Alto quietly gets new evening food truck market

See Me. Hear Me. Donít Fix Me.

Foothills Park: a world away