Paly Students Weigh in on School Board Candidates

Original post made by Student Advocate, Another Palo Alto neighborhood, on Oct 22, 2012

Paly Students Have Spoken!! The Campanile, Paly�s award-winning student newspaper, has published their recommendations for school board. You can view the Campanile�s recommendations here:

This story contains 520 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Gunn alum
a resident of Gunn High School
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I agree with the Paly editorial. I work in tech, grew up in PA and live in LAH now. I agree that it is past time to do something to fix Gunn counseling. It was not much help 20 years ago and it doesn't seem that it has improved since. I'm voting for Dauber. He's smart and focused and he's a Google engineer for God sakes. Sounds good to me.

Posted by Jan H.
on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:10 pm

The kids in the high school system are in the best position to judge the merits of each candidate. I would listen to their recommendations.

Posted by Kim Bomar
a resident of Nixon School
on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Just a correction, but the Nixon/Escondido forum is this Wednesday, Oct. 24th, at 7 pm, not 3 pm as mentioned above. It's at Nixon school, and all are welcome.

I'm glad to see that the Paly students are judging Ken Dauber on his merits. I have attended school board meetings with Ken for two years, during which time he has achieved real results for our students. I know him to be a persistent advocate for students, someone who doesn't mind going out on a limb for them, and who has the courage to act on ample data, rather than waiting for the years to go by. Ken's courageous data-driven analysis and recommendations for student well-being will provide much needed leadership.

Posted by Sally Bemus
a resident of Community Center
on Oct 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm

It is gratifying to know that the Campanile staff is paying attention and appreciates all that Ken is doing to support our students. Thank you Campanile! At the Weekly forum on October 16th when the candidates were challenged to name their number one priority to boost student learning, Ken replied that he would work to ensure the district is listening to students through the use of data. Ken has shown through his tireless efforts advocating at the board for changes that promote student well being that he is listening to our students and often uses their voices captured in data to advocate for them. The board is listening too and has been making progress on the issues that Ken has raised. I hope that the voters listen to our students and vote for Ken Dauber.

Posted by Peggy Duncan
a resident of Community Center
on Oct 23, 2012 at 7:50 am

Peggy Duncan is a registered user.

I have attended 3 of the forums and I agree with the Campanile's opinion about Dauber, although I put Caswell on an equal footing as to her knowledge of the issues and substance. At the forum put on by the Weekly she said that she supports one counseling system at both high schools, so I am not sure what the students are referring to there. I think she and Dauber have similar views. She certainly has a lot of knowledge about the district at her fingertips.

I have found choosing between the other two candidates to be a little vexing. Emberling often fails to answer questions in a clear and straightforward manner, the same problem that the students speak of. Townsend has a better command of the issues but I dislike giving her a third term. I may simply vote for Caswell and Dauber, in order to boost their chances of being elected.

Posted by Jan H.
on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Jan H. is a registered user.

I have enjoyed the Campanile since my son went to Paly. They have always had astute and exceptional writers and artists. Back when Bill Hewlett's grandson was on the staff, there were some spot-on articles about Palo Alto PD harassing high-schoolers because they didn't dare hassle their parents.

I am so glad to see that the quality, on-target writing continues.

Thanx, Kids!

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Disputing a Council Endorsement on Attitude toward residents

Why Are Two Plastic Bag Propositions on the California Ballot?

By Max Greenberg | 0 comments | 562 views

Marriage Interview 16: X-Wife and Widow Issues
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 447 views

Hangin' with the best

The results are in. See who Palo Alto Weekly readers have selected what they feel are the top spots and service providers in the Palo Alto area across 83 categories.

See the Winners