Woman arrested for assault with a deadly weapon

Original post made on Aug 29, 2012

A Redwood City woman who allegedly chased two men with a broken bottle at the University Avenue Caltrain station in Palo Alto was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon early Wednesday morning, Aug. 29.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, August 29, 2012, 5:33 PM

Posted by Sara, a resident of another community
on Aug 29, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I worked in downtown Palo Alto for years. It went from a nice quiet place to hang out to a dangerous place, even during the daytime. Sad.

Posted by neighbor, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:18 pm

...and the explanation for her behavior is...? (Self defense? pandhandling and turned down and turned aggresive...or ?!)

Posted by female train traveler, a resident of Stanford
on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:15 am

I have altered my various vacation and business travels to avoid coming into PA by Caltrain after dark because of the lack safety and of security at the University station--especially on holidays and weekends when the Marguerite shuttle isn't serving the station and taxi's are elsewhere downtown. Late one Sunday night (after arriving on he 10 PM caltrain) I had to wait 20 minutes for a taxi and was the only person at the station until a thug wearing a dark hoody approached me in a threatening manner and I got on my cell phone to dial 911--only then did he move on but I was very vulnerable. Something needs to be done to create a safer environment there.

Posted by Old Town Paly Resident, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Aug 30, 2012 at 11:28 am

EXACTLY what I thought upon reading....What caused this woman to react in such a manner? More than likely it was self defense. Two men? She could have been a victim in this situation and I just hope that the facts were thoroughly checked out for her sake on the real story.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm

This article slants that the woman was the culprit and the two guys were the victims.

I feel sure that there is more to the story. Is there any evidence as to whether this woman was drunk or high on drugs? Is there any motive for the attack? Is it possible she was defending herself from possible harm? Were either of the "victims" harmed?

Please can we know? She is innocent until proven guilty and as yet I see no proof whether she attacked or defended herself against attack.

Posted by Tiredof the BS , a resident of another community
on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

Sadly, I am familiar with Wanda, I doubt self defense was the reason. I would guess psych issues ....

Posted by Some Guy, a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 31, 2012 at 1:17 pm

To Resident, I doubt she was the victim if she is smiling in her mug shot. This little area has always attracted transients and wack jobs, back in the day they would hangout at El Camino Park and under the railroad bridge by Alma, now theyve gravitated to the transit center (or should I say transient center), Im guessing cause its easier to panhandle and there is seating. Anyhow I take the bus regularly and almost always see people talking and yelling at themselves, intimidating riders,asking for cash cause their car broke down and it seems to smell like urine almost everywhere. What can we do, Dont give them money!!

Posted by Two cents, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Sep 1, 2012 at 2:55 pm

The Caltrain and bus station at 95 University is under contract with local sheriff's offices. San Mateo County gets paid to patrol the train and train stations and Santa Clara County gets paid to patrol the buses and bus turn-around. Each has a lucrative contract to provide law enforcement at the stations in Palo Alto as well as the other stations along the routes. What some might be surprised to know is that the deputies assigned to the transit bureau don't work at night and when they are on duty they have a huge geographical area to patrol. Palo Alto Police doesn't routinely patrol 95 University because technically the area is in another jurisdiction (it would be liken to Palo Alto Police patrolling an area in Mountain View.) However, since the agencies that are getting paid to patrol there are routinely not on duty or too far away they call Palo Alto Police and have them respond. This presents two issues; the first being that City of Palo Alto resources are being diverted to these areas every day/night (not an exaggeration) yet the City is not recouping any funds for that. The second issue is that those who use the train and bus are doing so at their own risk because there is little if any police presence there.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.