Too bright!

Original post made by Parkinson Resident on Aug 24, 2012

The new steet lamps on Parkinson are too bright! Thought I was in a scene from Close Encounters last night when the bright white light shone through the bedroom window.

Can the intensity of these new lights be lowered?

Posted by adiymom, a resident of Community Center
on Aug 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

touche! talk about turning the night into day!

Posted by desperate, a resident of Southgate
on Aug 24, 2012 at 3:54 pm

More whining. The lights are too bright otherwise it would be--there are not enough lights!!!! Whine, whine whine

Posted by safety first, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Aug 24, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I don't know how bright the lights are in your area, but the lights in most parts of town are too dim, making pedestrians hard to see. Even when they are wearing bright clothing, they are still nearly invisible in the crosswalks at night and a lot of cars don't exactly stop at stop signs.

Posted by Lights should adapt to location, a resident of Southgate
on Aug 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

To desperate:Can you hold two ideas in your head at the same time?
Please try. It is possible that (1) some lights are too bright when they shine into your house, and also (2) that it is good to have bright lights on dark streets.
I realize this may be too complex for someone who says whine three times, but please, do try to understand what the writer said.

Posted by community center resident, a resident of Community Center
on Aug 24, 2012 at 9:08 pm

as someone who has to walk a dog in the wee hours of the night on occasion, i applaud the new lights and their brightness. I also wish they could get a flood light on the picnic area in the park so teenagers would stop smoking and drinking there

Posted by Anon., a resident of Crescent Park
on Aug 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm

> I also wish they could get a flood light on the picnic area in the park so teenagers would stop smoking and drinking there

LOL ... I hung out at the park when I was a kid 30+ years ago and I imagine lots of others did before me and will after. Let the kids have their fun, they don't get out of hand too often, at least we did not when I was a kid ... today ... who knows for sure.

If they're bothering you call the cops.

Posted by Anon., a resident of Crescent Park
on Aug 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Thinking about this post ... I think streetlights should be for light out on the street, wherever, and are supposed to be bright enough to see. Streetlights are not spotlights and do not behave as such unless they are misadjusted. So my response to this would have to be that it is up to the homeowner to process their environment as they see fit within the law. Put up blinds, or a curtain, or a shade, or get windows with tinted glass to lower the intensity of the light. When we have a situation today where random crime is hitting even at the neighborhood level now and the police are at a low concentration and may be there or be able to respond, light cuts down on that or makes it easier to see or deter ... I am PRO STREETLIGHTS BEING AS BRIGHT AS POSSIBLE.

BUT, I really have to opine, maybe people post trivial stuff, complaints, thinks other are not interested in or disagree with, but why can't the editors see clearly that anyone who posts a comment that has nothing in it but to call people names ... ie. "whiner" in this case need to be deleted as just being pointless and offensive? Please do your job and get rid of such posts EDITOR ?? or explain why you are not ?

Posted by private property, a resident of another community
on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:17 pm

The street light are suppose to light the streets not your yards and up to the front door and windows. That is why I have a porch light. So, light the streets and not my property. day is day and night should be night.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.