Shop Talk: What is the future for MacArthur Park?

Original post made on Aug 5, 2012

MacArthur Park, one of Palo Alto's oldest and grandest restaurants, has shown its determination to survive throughout its 31 years. While the restaurant was once considered a Peninsula hot spot, its future is now uncertain.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, August 5, 2012, 2:49 PM

Posted by Howard
on Aug 5, 2012 at 6:11 pm

The demise of MacArthur Park is long overdue.

Posted by going-going-gone
on Aug 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Alison Bakery was not likely to succeed because of its location. Even though Starbucks and sandwich shop are big draws, the bakery didn't offer much to compliment these two draws. The products were somewhat overpriced.

Posted by Gus L.
on Aug 5, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I will go out on a limb and say a billionaire developer wants the land so bad he can taste it.. He will build a center there and put his name on the building...

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Aug 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I thought it was already determined that the MacArthur Park spot will be high-rise parking for the HSR station.

Posted by PA Native
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Aug 6, 2012 at 2:04 am

I never understood the appeal of MacArthur Park. Parking is terrible, food was never good and service was snooty. I think their success was due to their uppity atmosphere, something new for the 80's. I'll be first to wave bye-bye.

Posted by neighbor
on Aug 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

I adore MacArthur Park. Good food, quiet, sophisticated -- and the historical building and setting is a gorgeous bonus. It's a lovely gateway to the University and a good buffer between the increasingly dense/ugly development along University Ave.

Are the "low density/no parking" freaks going to protest a high-rise going onto the site?

Posted by Munchen
on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

I also love MacArthur Park and hope they find a new place. There are no better ribs anywhere!

Posted by the_punnisher
a resident of Mountain View
on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:45 am

the_punnisher is a registered user.

Spring was never waiting for us, girl It ran one step ahead As we followed in the dance

Between the parted pages And were pressed in love's hot, fevered iron Like a striped pair of pants

MacArthur's Park is melting in the dark All the sweet, green icing flowing down Someone left the cake out in the rain

I don't think that I can take it 'Cause it took so long to bake it And I'll never have that recipe again, oh no

I recall the yellow cotton dress Foaming like a wave On the ground around your knees The birds like tender babies in your hands And the old men playing checkers, by the trees

There will be another song for me For I will sing it. There will be another dream for me. Someone will bring it.

I will drink the wine while it is warm And never let you catch me looking at the sun And after all the loves of my life After all the loves of my life, you'll still be the one

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it I will have the things that I desire And my passion flow like rivers through the sky

And after all the loves of my life Oh, after all the loves of my life I'll be thinking of you and wondering why

I don't think that I can take it 'Cause it took so long to bake it And I'll never have that recipe again Oh no, oh no, no, no, oh no

-MacArthur Park

Probably just as useless as the song....XMq

Posted by John
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:27 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by neighbor
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:07 pm

To "the_punisher"
The MacArthur Park restaurant can't be faulted for the lyrics of the song....and maybe the restaurant was named after MacArthur Park in LA, which existed for 50-60 years before the song.

In recent years LA's MacArthur Park was refurbished and has enjoyed a tremendous resurgence in popularity. It's an extremely popular jazz concert venue.

I appreciate the LA Park and the PA restaurant.

Posted by helene
on Aug 7, 2012 at 12:57 am

Several years ago MacArthur Park restaurant was delicious with a lovely atmosphere. I no longer care to dine there as I find the food is not very good. Bring in a new chef with great ideas, and I think the restaurant could turn around.