Shop Talk: Piazza Fine Foods to expand

Original post made on Jun 24, 2012

Piazza Fine Foods at 3922 Middlefield Road in Palo Alto's Charleston Center is in the midst of growing another 4,000 square feet, an increase of about 20 percent.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, June 24, 2012, 7:47 PM

Posted by A Winner.
on Jun 24, 2012 at 11:17 pm

So, the BIG question is HOW and WHERE are they expanding???? How much further should i expect to be walking inside the store? This is difficult to even take in right now, I am short so too much stress on my legs will make them weak and sore. Can they add chairs in the store for people that want to sit and think about what products to purchase? All the standing NEEDS to GO! I am so gosh darn upset.

SLOW DOWN!

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jun 25, 2012 at 6:25 am

Looking forward to Piazza's expansion. I remember when it was Mayfair Market.

Posted by Carny worker
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:17 am

I am happy Piazzas is getting more space and hopefully bigger aisles.

Posted by moi
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:34 am

Piazza's adding more square footage --

Lovely that they will support local businesses, but expanding the meat and cheese departments undoubtedly will serve to increase the abuse and death of factory-farmed animals.

I wish the defunct dental office had been on the opposite side of Piazza's so that they could have expanded their produce section.

Posted by anonymous
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:29 am

Yayy! Piazza's is a great store, where I regularly shop - a special store and I am pleased they are expanding their offerings.

Posted by danielle
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

agree, Piatti's should expand their produce section, not meats and cheeses. the western diet is a killer!

Posted by bigger grocery stores
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:39 am

We badly need bigger grocery stores in all parts of town. The selection at the existing stores is terrible. This is a diverse city that enjoys diverse menus and the grocery stores need to stock a diverse selection of fresh foods.

Posted by Anon.
on Jun 25, 2012 at 9:33 am

What an amazing bunch of illogical and irrelevant comments?

Don't expand the supermarket because it might lead to the meat section getting bigger and more animals being hurt and killed?

Don't expand the store because short people will have to walk too much?

Don't expand the store because the Western diet is a killer?

Is Palo Alto putting something funny in the water or are some of us really so stupid?

This has got to be someone's prank idea of entertainment.

My only problem with Piazzi's is the high prices and the fresh squeezed orange juice that I like to buy is occasionally so sour and bad tasting it is not worth it.

Posted by Phil
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Jun 25, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I recall that Piazza was one of the stores that sponsored the "Hold the Line" petition to limit Lucky/Abertson's to 20000 sq feet. Now that the replacement at Alma Plaza will be a rather small 19000 sq feet market (half the size of the original Berkeley Bowl), I guess they've decided that a little bigger is just fine (24000 sq feet if my math is correct, based on 4000 being a 20% expansion). I have nothing against Piazza expanding, but I wish they hadn't helped kill what would have been a larger, more traditional market. I hope Berkeley Bowl's Alma Plaza version will at least provide a good alternative for shopping in Palo Alto (as opposed to driving to Mt View) and that their prices are better than Piazza's

Posted by Sam
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 25, 2012 at 7:16 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Outside Observer
on Jun 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm

When that Ranch 99 opens, I'll be their first customer.

Other than that or a Lion market, I'll never shop in Palo Alto.

Prefer to get value for my grocery money, not fad-driven yuppie foods at 10 times their intrinsic value.

Posted by neighbor
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Jun 26, 2012 at 10:49 am

Glad to hear about the expansion, and do hope they are able to increase the produce section as well. Great store, friendly people.