Toronto Hospital First to Recognize Symptoms from Wireless Radiation

Original post made by Greenie on Jun 21, 2012

Web Link ournal.com/ pr/757245

TORONTO, June 18, 2012 /CNW/ - Women's College Hospital says family doctors must learn to detect the symptoms of exposure to wireless radiation.

The hospital released a statement saying the symptoms include disrupted sleep, headaches, nausea, dizziness, heart palpitations, memory problems, and skin rashes. These symptoms are now labeled Electro-magnetic Hyper-sensitivity, or "EMS".

"Health-care practitioners need to better understand EMS so they can help their patients," said Dr. Riina Bray, medical director of the hospital's Environmental Health Clinic.

Dr. Bray says the world is becoming dominated by wireless internet, cell phones and cell towers, and there can be a broad range of health impacts.

The hospital's Environmental Health Clinic has begun holding educational workshops on the subject for doctors.

Last year the World Health Organization placed microwave radiation from wireless internet and cell phones on an official Cancer watch-list. Since then several schools have removed their wifi systems and the Catholic teacher's union in Ontario has called for a moratorium on wifi installations in classrooms.

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Not that anything else can cause those symptoms. The luddites in PA will have a field day with this

But this is a golden opportunity for Palo Alto to show that they are a leader in this issue. Ban cell phones and wifi in Palo alto. Yoriko??? Peter?? Who will be the "green" leader and step up on this issue

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

Name calling doesn't change the fact thats.

Literally thousands of studies showing harm from wireless...
www.justproveit.net/studies

There is an attitude that any techological advances are good no matter what. How high do the autism and teen suidcide rates need to be before we take a good look at the consequences of wireless?

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm

"Literally thousands of studies showing harm from wireless..."
Most of them discredited and/or shown to be bogus. I would not call these studies :facts".
SHall be ban wifi and cell phones? What about microwaves in your home.
Let's use some common sense., As I said the luddites in Palo Alto will have a field day with this.

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:58 pm

BTW, greenie:

Web Link

"The majority of provocation trials to date have found that self-described sufferers of electromagnetic hypersensitivity are unable to distinguish between exposure to real and fake electromagnetic fields,[2][3] and it is not recognized as a medical condition by the medical or scientific communities"

"Electromagnetic hypersensitivity is not currently an accepted diagnosis. At present there are no accepted research criteria other than 'self-reported symptoms', and for clinicians there is no case definition or clinical practice guideline."

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

This shows your level of knowledge to be quite little in the area. First, these studies have NOT been discredited. This list doesn't even include all the latest discoveries. Second, common sense would say to look at the facts--not stick your head in the sand and declare cell phones to be safe because you like cell phones and microwave ovens. Third, the problem isn't just cell phones, but also cordless phones, wireless computer routers, wireless computers, wireless modems, wireless baby monitors, etc. The amount of radiation we take on daily is way out of hand, and the different frequencies we are exposed to have not been studied and they can't be studied because it is too complex.

Common sense says "look at these thousands of studies" maybe we should wire our computers and wire our routers. Common sense says "everywhere that SmartMeters are installed a certain number of people suddenly get very ill, and many others develop headaches, ringing in the ears, etc., so maybe rather than forging ahead to make everything wireless—perhaps we should stop this, use wires, and find a better technology."

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:28 pm

My advice, greenie, is get rid of your cell phones, cordless phone and microwave ovens if you see it as a problem.
If you want, try to get the city council to ban those items in Palo Alto.
This is a tempest in a teapot

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

I would like doctors to know the symptoms. I would like to raise awareness so that people (especially with children) get rid of wireless in their homes and at their schools.

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:45 pm

"I don't have any wireless, but I got headaches every time my next door neighbor kids played a wireless video game. If there games are giving me a headache--what is it doing to the kids?"

How do you know when they are playing wireless video games???????
How far are you from your neighbor? If you are in an apartment, how do you know what they are doing next door. If you are in a house, do you climb over the fence and peek in the window to see what the kids are doing? Sounds strange to me,

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

Bottom line is that I bought an RF analyzer. My sympathy to you that the only way you can imagine knowing something about your neighbors would be to climb a fence. There are some people who still talk face to face.

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

"My sympathy to you that the only way you can imagine knowing something about your neighbors would be to climb a fence."
So you were using the RF analyzer to detect wireless radiation from your neighbors? How did you know that the kids were playing wireless video games, though? I am not interested in what my neighbors do--that is their business. I do not surreptitiously monitor what my neighbors are doing. Your whole story sounds a little odd.

Posted by cherry, a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 21, 2012 at 2:51 pm

You two scare me. I think I'll hide my head under....

.... my electric blankie.....

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

If you have good neighbors and something happens on a regular basis you can figure it out together even if it is invisible. We figured it out, and the RF analyzer was interesting because it "gave form" to the radiation.

But this article is about the first hospital to realize there is a problem. It shows that someone took the time to try to understand this extremely complex subject, and is taking steps towards real solutions. This hospital is probably suggesting that a person get rid of cordless phones and turn off wireless devices before prescribing a drug to help with sleep. They are probably telling their headache patients to use a landline phone instead of a cell phone.

I admire people who take initiative. I think it is sad that us Americans didn't do it first. Stanford should be on the cutting edge. Our techies should be inventing safer technologies. And until they do we shouldn't be using wireless baby monitors, putting wireless in school classrooms, or encouraging cell towers on every corner.

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Yawn. Pseudo-science, conjecture, hysteria and the rise of the luddites.

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

Really, name calling again? I am NOT against technology. I am against harmful technology. There is a difference. If the military came over to your house to test their latest microwave defense weapons and you objected to them harming you--I assume that would make you a luddite too. And I suppose all those people dying from radiation in Japan are luddites for wanting to shut down nuclear plants located in tsunami areas? Or are you just against knowledge in general?

Oh but I see that if I put "svatoid" into the search engine it reveals that you're a techie. Let me guess--your job is dependent on wireless? You're worried that people will learn how harmful your work is. How about turning your efforts toward inventing a harmless technology?

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

I enjoy watching drug commercials with their endless listings of side effects. Sounds to me like those folks are taking too many pills!

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

I agree! They should be getting rid of their wireless instead so they don't have headaches, heart arrythmias, insomnia, etc. in the first place!

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 6:57 pm

You are now comparing nuclear plants to wifi? Quite the Jump. Cars are dangerous. Electricity is dangerous. Get rid of your cellphone and microwave, if your want. But do not try to force your pseudo science onto others. Had you really put "svatoid" into a search engine it would have Told you that it is not an English word. Sounds as fishy add yourheadache story. Oh, I am not a "techie".and they're is a difference between knowledge and pseudo science, conjecture, speculation and hysterical pronounvements. On march the luddites.

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

Wow svatoid, you read stuff into things that aren't there. We are learning that non-ionizing radiation some things in common with ionizing radiation, but I was comparing your incorrect use of the word luddite. Are you aware that concentration problems are one of the symptoms of wifi radiation? Maybe you should check this hospital out?

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Greenie-why would I check out a hospital that practices pseudo-science.? Actually there are no symptoms from wifi radiation. Lack of concentration can be attributed to many things. But that does not fit your scenario. As I said get rid of your wifi, cellphone and microwave if you feel the need. I well wait for real evidence not hysterical pronouncements of doom and gloom from discredited studies.

Posted by Greenie, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Greenie is a registered user.

So now svatoid is a doctor and a researcher who has more information than the experts in the field! Hmmm. The link above to the thousands of studies wasn't good enough? pretty sad, but here are some experts...

www.stopsmartmetersirvine.com
www.scribd.com/doc/24352550/Cell-Tower-Rpt
www.magdahavas.com/womens-college-hospital-diagnoses-patients-with-electromagnetic-hypersensitivity

To bad we are limited to three links because I could post a hundred.

Svatoid, say what you will. Others will look at your comments and realize you have nothing better to do than be annoying. You've added nothing to this discussion besides name calling. This hospital is taking a wonderful step, and I have other things to do than argue with a "knowledge-luddite".

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 21, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Greenie is good at two things-puttingwords into peoples mouths and comparing nuclear radiation, wifi, cellphones, microwaves and wireless Game consoles as all being equally bad. Most people have ignored your comments and the discredited studies you champion. As for " name calling", you are familiar with the kettle and the pot?

Posted by Jarred, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:09 am

Greenie, while I applaud your vigilance about the perils of electromagnetism, I fear you may be complacent regarding a more serious threat that I've observed in all too many houses in Palo Alto: dihydrogen monoxide.
Web Link

I urge you to look into this and report back on your findings.

Posted by John, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:59 am

>"symptoms include disrupted sleep, headaches, nausea, dizziness, heart palpitations, memory problems, and skin rashes. "

I have a ranch in the middle of wildnerness. There is no cell phone reception there, unless I go to the highest peak. My wife doesn't like the place (too isolated, according to her) She gets all those symptoms when we go to the ranch. They immediately disappear, once we get back to Palo Alto! Conclusion: Electromagnetic radiation prevents all those symptoms!

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:09 am

John--Maybe there are children playing wireless video games in that area, but they are not in Palo Alto

Posted by John, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 22, 2012 at 10:52 am

svatoid,

Kids who play video games don't like to hang out in the wilderness. Too much work! Try another theory. I think my theory is as good as the rest of them: Electromagnetic radiation prevents the symptoms described.

Posted by Perspective, a resident of Greater Miranda
on Jun 24, 2012 at 5:31 am

Walter and Cherry: Well said! You made me chuckle.

Svatoid: You will be appalled and maybe I shouldn't ruin your day, but I agree with you 100%. Except for the way you say what you mean. Comes across as a mean spirit. Maybe you don't realize this, and that some people need help, not knock-downs.

Read the list of possible side-effects from, say, aspirin. And then read the original studies. Amazing how many people feel these side effects in the presence of placebos. Our minds are very, very powerful, the first thing we have to recognize. "Suggestible" is not simply a word, it is a reality. Along with our minds having an incredible ability to protect our psyche the best way it knows how, to the point of hallucinations. A good example is the Ekbom syndrome Web Link. I have known folks with this..full work up by all we know, and still they see and feel bugs in them. Anti-anxiety, or even anti-psychotics, help tremendously, along with counseling.

Symptomchecker.com finds "139 conditions associated with dizziness, headache, nausea or vomiting and nosebleed." Heart palpitations, memory problems and skin rashes have far too many causes to believe that there is one cause, even taken together with the rest. What are called "confounding factors". I am not trying to be insulting,but the combination of these symptoms in one person implies something other than one physiological cause to me. As the following link by NCBI (PubMed) states, "...patients diagnosed with EHS also report profound social and personal challenges, impairing their ability to function normally in society." Web Link

Perhaps there are people who are sensitive to wireless radiation; as there are people who are believe they are sensitive to mold but also have many confounding factors, Web Link

I think that this is true for EHS. Maybe there is an increased sensitivity, maybe not, but in the meantime if you are feeling these things, Greenie, I highly recommend a good work up and treatment by a psychiatrist/counselor to help you live in our world in the absence of any ability to stop our wireless from expanding. We have to adapt.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.