Watch this BEFORE your football game or barbecue

Original post made by Peter Carpenter on May 27, 2012

This will help you remember what Memorial Day is really about and that some families will be missing a loved one today because that loved one died on a battlefield somewhere - for US.

Web Link

Posted by not just a three day weekend, a resident of Nixon School
on May 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Peter... dang it man! Just when I'm done with you and your posts, (mostly because our opinions being almost polar opposites) you go and post that.

Well done. A wonderful moment. Worth every second to watch.

Thank you. Enjoy your weekend.

Posted by Gary, a resident of Downtown North
on May 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I thought I heard Biden say that the Liberation of Iraq would be a success, and that Iran is being pushed away. I fully honor the American soldiers who paid the price. I also honor GWB, who made it happen. It is a world-changing war.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton
on May 27, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

Not just a three day weekend - Thanks.

I am a (100% disabled but still very alive) Vietnam Veteran and I still bear the far heavier scars that happened when I came 'home'. Hopefully we will never again confuse our anger with misguided leadership with our obligations to those whom we send to fight our just and unjust battles.

Posted by Gary, a resident of Downtown North
on May 27, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Peter,

The Vietnam vets were screwed, and I was part of it...to my shame.

I finally grew a brain, and realized that Hanoi should have been bombed into the stone age in 1966. You guys did your job, and paid the price. You are honored, especially, by me, with tears in my eyes.

It IS Memorial Day, not BBQs and long weekends. Thank you for your sacrfice.

Posted by Peter Carpenter, a resident of Atherton
on May 27, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Peter Carpenter is a registered user.

Gary - Your words did bring tears to my eyes. It is so moving to know that the scorn and scars we felt when we came home from Vietnam were undeserved. THANK YOU - you have made by Memorial Day.

Posted by ignore gary, a resident of Midtown
on May 27, 2012 at 8:30 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by not just a three day weekend, a resident of Nixon School
on May 28, 2012 at 1:31 am

Oddly, my post, that also thanked Peter for his service was also removed, as were several others before it.

Apparently, merely for mentioning that someone brought his usual rant into a thread specifically about Memorial Day and families of survivors. Please, boys, keep this thread free of the usual partisan hatchet jobs.

Peter, thanks again for cross posting this link.

Posted by Kings Rd, a resident of Woodside
on May 29, 2012 at 9:46 am

Best piece of video I've seen in awhile.

Biden goes off message and speaks from his heart.

Required viewing for anyone who claims to support the troops. Required viewing for anyone who claims we should get involved in unnecessary foreign intervention, imo...

Posted by Sam, a resident of Barron Park
on May 30, 2012 at 11:26 am

That man has a huge heart. A beautiful moment.

I no longer care if his heart gets stuck in his throat and he misspeaks once in a while.

A beautiful moment. Bless him and the families.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

September food and drink goings on

Two Days to Save This Dog?
By Cathy Kirkman | 15 comments | 1,284 views

College Freshmen: Avoiding the Pitfalls
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,269 views

It Depends... Disguising Real Characters in Fiction
By Nick Taylor | 0 comments | 423 views

Twenty-five years of wedded bliss
By Sally Torbey | 2 comments | 165 views