How did you find a good gardener?

Original post made by Michael on May 26, 2012

Suggestions for how to find a skilled, reliable gardener who doesn't break the leaf blower ordinance? Names you'd like to pass along?

Posted by neighbor, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on May 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm

There are so many out there and quite a range of skill level/services and price. I would get recommendations from nearby neighbors. For one thing, you can see their yard and then if you hire them, a truck will come (on one day per week) to take care of both homes. In my neighborhood, there is at least one different truck every day of the week on our street (and noise) since each homeowner uses someone different...

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on May 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Most of my neighbors use yard maintenance crews who basically mow and blow. Landscapers are used to come in and do complete 24 hour makeovers.

I see very little gardening done except by homeowners. If you can find a true gardener who plants and nurtures flowers, veg, shrubbery and trees, then please pass the name along.

Posted by Michael, a resident of Los Altos
on May 27, 2012 at 11:30 pm

All my neighbors use mow and (illegal) blow. Can anyone recommend a good gardener?

Posted by Ada, a resident of Midtown
on May 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I have been searching for a "real" gardener for years. All the gardeners that I have tried so far have no idea how to take care of sick plants, prune correctly, foresee problems or "have green thumbs". I can't understand why the problem of poor gardening skills is so wide spread. And it is not just gardening. House cleaners also "slack" a lot, not on purpose, they just seem to have a different notion of "quality work".

Posted by moi, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on May 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

Angie's List is the best way to find any service worker or contractor or craftsperson. It is a membership-only website and as a result does not have phony ratings or reviews. I have used them for years and swear by their listings.

They are also extremely helpful by phone in case of questions or concerns.

Money well spent.

Posted by thanks, a resident of St. Claire Gardens
on May 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm

thanks moi.

Can you tell me the exact web address

Posted by thanks, a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm

All my friends gave me gardeners numbers without license.i am afraid they might not have medical insurance either. some work with commencial license only, not residential license.Help.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.