Homework, counseling on crowded agenda

Original post made on May 22, 2012

Homework policy, graduation requirements, high school counseling and possible school budget cuts crowd tonight's agenda of the Palo Alto Board of Education. ==B Related story:==
• [Web Link School board to discuss middle-school growth]

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 9:47 AM

Posted by Get involved, parents! this affects YOUR FAMILY!!!
a resident of South of Midtown
on May 22, 2012 at 11:41 am

PAUSD Staff recommends "Postpone consideration of school facilities on the Cubberley site until at least 2019," based on lack of bond revenue to build and desire to keep $7 million lease payment. Can the city continue to pay this money to the district? Will they?

PAUSD staff also proposes increasing JLS and Jordan to 1250 students, possibly more. Staff has said more than once that an option is to leave portables that were put in place for construction period for a longer (unspecified how long) term beyond the construction period.

Bigger middle schools...more portables. Parents MUST get involved in this planning process NOW.

Posted by Paly Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on May 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I will not be able to attend the meeting this evening, but I am very interested in the homework discussion. I hope that the reporter attending this meeting will cover the homework discussion when reporting.

I particularly welcome the curtailment of group projects that involve students meeting together outside schooltime. I would like to see the end of busy work - coloring for high schoolers and cooking for languages. I also think that the makeup policy of one day per day out of school is too little. A student who has been in bed for a couple of days with flu or something similarly incapacitating, does not need double homework on the first day back at school when still not back to full strength.

Middle school enrollment also interests me and needs to be reported on.

Posted by Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on May 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

They really need to adjust the workload in 7th grade. Both my children got pummeled with homework in 7th, thus, became depressed and feeling like failures. It is also a time of adjustment for girls because 7th grade girls are psycho and my girls had to deal with the social dysfunction as well as the rigorous class load. They "hated" 7th grade.

Posted by guest
on May 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

@ Paly Parent:

"I also think that the makeup policy of one day per day out of school is too little." Well, that's what the Ed Code says, so you'll need to take that up with your state legislators.

Posted by Mom
on May 24, 2012 at 6:47 am

I agree with "Parent" above...the year my child had the most homework was 7th grade, which is crazy. My child had to curtail outside sports to free up enough time to get the work done. Most of the assignments were just busywork, but that still took up lots of time. I remember one especially useless assignment of drawing four illustrations of anything on the science notebook cover page.