Wanted: Identity of man who lost camera at Super Bowl

Original post made on Feb 13, 2012

A New York woman who was in Indianapolis on Sunday, Feb. 5, for the Super Bowl is trying to reunite a fellow football fan with his camera, which she accidentally ended up with after the game. The woman believes the owner of the camera may live in the Palo Alto area.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, February 13, 2012, 11:16 AM

Posted by John
on Feb 13, 2012 at 12:32 pm

If this is a camera phone, why doesn't she contact the cell phone carrier and request the owner to contact her? If she has access to the phone, call a couple people in his address book and ask if they know the owner. She really needs to post all his pictures on-line?
What am I missing? It's nice that she is looking for him, but there seems to be an easier way.

Posted by call
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Feb 13, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Or just call the phone number on the phone and leave a voice mail message.

Posted by Resident
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:02 pm

If you read the article it says she has his phone not his camera phone, it seems she had both at one stage. Also, if you click on the video link, you see all the pictures on his phone.

It sounds to me that she is doing all she can to help find the camera's owner. She is doing the right thing and I hope she finds him. Please keep us updated.

Nice story - hope it has a happy ending.

Posted by Jocelyn Dong
editor of the Palo Alto Weekly
on Feb 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Jocelyn Dong is a registered user.

Correction: The NY woman has the man's camera, not his camera phone. We apologize for the earlier error.

Posted by John
on Feb 13, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Bad editing, make bad comments.

Hope she finds the owner!

Posted by Alphonso
a resident of Los Altos Hills
on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Mary Ellen McFaul

Thank you for doing the right thing - I appreciate your effort!

Posted by Obvious
on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Why not include the photo of the Palo Alto house? Wouldn't that make it really easy to find the person?

Posted by Jocelyn Dong
editor of the Palo Alto Weekly
on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Jocelyn Dong is a registered user.

Since the article was posted, we've learned that the house supposedly in Palo Alto is actually a picture of Steve Jobs' parents' home in Los Altos. So, not likely a relative of the Super Bowl camera owner. Thanks to George Kiriyama of NBC Bay Area for that info.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Feb 13, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Between Google and Facebook, there likely is now or soon will be a facial-recognition search feature that would identify these guys more quickly than the FBI could. Pleasant dreams...

Posted by alan
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:52 am

I think I know the bearded guy at the theatre behind him, sticking his tongue out. Does that help?

Posted by Circulate
on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:18 am

Send the story to NYTimes. Post on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin.

Posted by WilliamR
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:53 am

Would it help to send the serial number of the camera to the company's customer-service office, just in case the owner had submitted the warranty registration? They might be able to contact him.

Posted by AMRWR
on Feb 14, 2012 at 11:49 am

I wonder if the person who found the camera has visited ifoundyourcamera.net

Posted by Ronald L.
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Oh Great, you've shown him at the Further Festival after he told his manager he had the flu that day, and at the Superbowl with that guy he's not supposed to hang around with.

Posted by Lauren
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I know the bearded guy sticking his tongue out too! I wish I can help to do more. I have posted this on FB, Twitter and others have posted it on www.furthur.net & www.ratdog.org.

Fingers crossed to find this owner!

Posted by Neil
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Wait, I am the guy sticking his tongue out behind the gentleman in question. Hahaha, too funny. You never know how or when a moment of silliness can come back to haunt you and give your friends and family a good laugh. I also posted a link on my fb page to see if anyone knows him. Hope we can help find the owner.

Posted by MaryEllen
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I tried the camera company, unfortunately he did not register it. :-( Thank you to everyone who is helping find this man! I know is might seem silly to some, but something like a Superbowl is a once in a lifetime experience and I am sure this man would love his photos back. Thanks for the tip on Ifoundyourcamera.net I never heard of it and will try that now! Thanks! :-)

Posted by alan
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Think about it: If you were the guy in the photo and wanted to get your camera back, what is the logical pro-active thing you could do? Answer: Go to the Super Bowl stadium lost-&-found -- which is what she should do.

Posted by Lauren
a resident of Mountain View
on Feb 15, 2012 at 12:57 am

Mary Ellen,

We are going to find him! Your kindness will not be for not!!!

Lauren

Posted by Jocelyn Dong
editor of the Palo Alto Weekly
on Feb 15, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Jocelyn Dong is a registered user.

Editor's note: On Wednesday, Feb. 15, the owner of the camera was located. See Web Link for the story.

Posted by MaryEllen
on Feb 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Alan- I did try stadium security (first place I called when I realized I had the camera) but because I was 2 hours away at that point they told me to hold the camera. I left my name and number with them hoping they would forward any inquiries about missing cameras but unfortunely they did not, even though the owner had made several calls to the stadium. I'm glad I didn't rely on that and pursued the story myself and contacted local papers and tv stations. They were very helpful! Fortunately for the owner I did pursue it because his son saw the story and hewill now get his camera and priceless photos back!
To everyone else- thanks for your positive messages!! I'm so thankful to everyone that helped get the story out there to this man! The owner was so thankful and that means the world to me. :-)