You can kill HSR. Here's how.

Original post made by David Lieberman, Professorville, on Feb 4, 2012

The No Train Please Act is a ballot initiative to end the High Speed Rail project in California. You can see the complete text at:

Web Link

It is very short. You can read it in 60 seconds. Essentially it defunds the HSR Authority.

850,000 signatures are needed to put it on the November ballot. The signatures must be collected by June 1. There are no wealthy people backing this so there is no money for paid signature gatherers. Thus, qualifying the initiative will be a stretch and the failure to qualify will perversely be taken by supporters of HSR to mean that the public supports their position.

You can download the petition from:

Web Link

Each sheet has room for four signatures. All four must be from the same county but if you have friends in different counties, download and print multiple sheets and use different sheets for different counties. You do not have to fill all the slots on a sheet. Mail completed sheets to the address on the web site. Signers must be registered to vote in California.

The best place to gather signatures is at farmer's markets. If someone has a card table and would like to set up at the downtown Palo Alto market on Saturday or the California Avenue market on Sunday, please let me know. I'm willing to sit with you and help and if it's cold I'll buy coffee.

Posted by yes on HSR
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Feb 4, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Where do I sign to accelerate HSR? Tired of waiting.

Posted by whining loser
a resident of Woodside
on Feb 4, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:04 pm

David,

Thanks for sending the petition out. I will make sure that I get my petition filled out. HSR is an absurdity that should never have been approved. It makes almost no sense. This, from someone who avidly supports appropriate technology.

If any of my College Terrace neighbors want to sign the petition, I suggest that they download the petition. Alternatively, I will make sure that I have the petition ready to go...they can just stop by my house and sign it.

Democracy in action.

Posted by Vladimir
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Where do kishimoto and Klein stand on this petition? I assume that Craig Laughton is against HSR because he envisions using the money to build spine roads and add more traffic calming measures in CT.

Posted by David Lieberman
a resident of Professorville
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm

"are these the same folks who, when their candidate loses, immediately wonder how to impeach?"

Whining loser,

HSR was approved by a vote of 52% to 48% in 2008. It might surprise you to know that I voted for it, probably the stupidest thing I have ever done in my life.

The ballot said that the system would cost 30 billion, that it would carry 60 million passengers each year, that one third of the funding would come from private sources, that no work would begin until all funding sources were identified, and that once built no operating subsidy would be needed.

We have since learned that all of those claims were lies.

HSR will bankrupt the state of California. If you think that getting to LA is more important than educating your children then do not vote to kill this ridiculous system.

And by the way when you get to LA what are you going to do? Rent a car? There is no real public transportation down there.

Posted by David Lieberman
a resident of Professorville
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Vladimir,

Perhaps you can explain to me how running empty trains up and down the state of California at 200 mph will reduce traffic in College Terrace?

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 4, 2012 at 6:48 pm

"I assume that Craig Laughton is against HSR because he envisions using the money to build spine roads and add more traffic calming measures in CT."

Vlad, pretty funny! I was against HSR from the beginning, nothing to do with CT and spine roads. Remember, I fully support appropriate technology to solve our problems. HSR is not one of them.

I welcome all PA residents to sign the petition to put this turkey back on the ballot. Perhaps the PA councilmembers, who supported this disaster, will be the first to sign it. Larry Klein, will you lead the charge? Yoriko?

Posted by Vladimir
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 4, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Lieberman-read my post again. I never aid HSR would reduce traffic in CT. I just stayed that Craig had dreams of what the money could be used for. Understand now our do I need to simplify further?

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 4, 2012 at 8:14 pm

"I never aid HSR would reduce traffic in CT. I just stayed that Craig had dreams of what the money could be used for. Understand now our do I need to simplify further?"

Perhaps a tad too much vodka tongiht, Vlad?

The disaster of the HSR has nothing to do with CT, spine road, traffic within, etc. It stands on its own as an example of a bridge too far, not to mention a bridge to nowhere.

Posted by Vladimir
a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Stereotyping, are we Craig??

Posted by Sad
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Feb 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

...Or, how California, that used to be a forward thinking, future oriented place, has become paralyzed and stuck in the past. The future sure belongs to other countries now... all that because NIMBYism rules.

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:09 pm

California would be very forward thinking, if it rejects an absurd new technical toy that will not solve the issues that were presented to the voters, and hugely low-balled in cost.

I have reposted the link (thanks, David L.) that will provide the petition to get this thing back on the ballot, so that it can be killed, before it costs even more of our state and federal funds.

Web Link

8QgCZ

Posted by David Lieberman
a resident of Professorville
on Feb 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

If not wanting your community to be destroyed is NIMBYism, then fine, I am a NIMBY. Perhaps NIMBYism is the highest expression of community involvement.

But actually I would be just as opposed to HSR if it went up the east bay, miles from Palo Alto. HSR is a financial train wreck sold to the public by lies and deceit.

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:27 pm

I just got my first petition filled. I will keep working it. People seem to be very receptive to signing it. It appears that Palo Alto has had enough of the HSR turkey!

Posted by By Alma Street
a resident of Southgate
on Feb 6, 2012 at 7:12 am

California needs HSR. They are already working to move it to Altmond pass and cross from East Bay direct to Redwood City, but that is more than 20 years away. Right now is just Caltrain Electrification. Everyone in Palo Alto and Peninsula will be happy with quiet, no pollution, and much faster electric train. The people against must be the old folks still living here. In 20 years when my 2 year old graduate from Paly High and get in College I am out of Palo Alto. I will move to San Francisco. I am not going to stay here wasting time in a suburban environment.

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm

"California needs HSR."

I don't think so. HSR lacks the redundancy and specificity that private autos and charter buses provide. We already have a train to LA, BTW.

"They are already working to move it to Altmond pass and cross from East Bay direct to Redwood City"

Who is "they"? How would that make a difference?

"Everyone in Palo Alto and Peninsula will be happy with quiet, no pollution, and much faster electric train"

I would be happy by winning the lottery, too. "No pollution?"...do you have any science background, at all? Most those vibrating electrons come from burning coal.

"The people against must be the old folks still living here"

Wisdom comes with age, sometimes.

"In 20 years when my 2 year old graduate from Paly High and get in College I am out of Palo Alto."

Why not move now? You seem to hate suburbia, and you also appear quite willing to change Palo Alto into some version of a high density transit stop. I suggest you cut to the chase, and move to SF now.

For the rest of us, who oppose HSR, I suggest that we sign the petition.

Web Link

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I am just completing my second petition. It is easy, because so many people now oppose HSR. There is no need for high pressure tactics.

This is fun!

I now offer my services to our City Council: If you esteemed gentlemen and ladies would like to sign the petition, I am quite willing to bring it to you to sign. You can do it in confidence, of course, however, if you want the publicity that you have signed it, I am willing to publicize your signature.

You can reach me at:

Craig Laughton
claught1@earthlink.net

I live in College Terrace, on Harvard Street.

Posted by Anon.
on Feb 9, 2012 at 4:35 am

Interesting I read somewhere that El Palo Alto, the tree will have to be chopped down in order for the HDR to pass through Palo Alto if the current plans are instituted.

Just another omen of what a stupid idea this is.

Posted by Local yokel
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Local yokel is a registered user.

The PA Weekly had an article on 2/10/12 that states that the rail authority would prefer to reduce the width of Alma by one lane in order to accommodate a 4-track system. Alma, as everyone knows, is a main artery for traffic going north-south through our city. It is critical to getting around town in a reasonable amount of time. Removing a lane would be devastating.
Our politicians have failed us on this issue, including Jerry Brown.
I am collecting signatures and have 5 pages filled already.