'Steve Jobs changed the whole world'

Original post made on Oct 6, 2011

As word of Steve Jobs' death Wednesday swiftly spread -- via iPhones and other technology the Apple co-founder had pioneered -- local residents of all ages made their way to his Old Palo Alto home and the Apple store on University Avenue to pay tribute to a man they said had irrevocably changed their lives.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, October 6, 2011, 1:48 PM

Posted by Enough!, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Oct 6, 2011 at 3:09 pm

As was trending on Twitter yesterday, after it was temporarily shut down as people spread the word, #iSad.

Says it all. Heartfelt condolences to the family.

Posted by Jonathan Lustig, a resident of Stanford
on Oct 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Because of his passion and determination he was able to change the world for the better. His legacy will never be forgotten. I am sure he will continue doing momentous things on the otherside. Steve Jobs will always remain a true hero.

Jonathan Lustig

Social Crusader

Posted by Rob Browne, a resident of another community
on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Such a loss to his family, Apple and the world! He had such an incredible impact on our modern world, across so many disciplines. I would like to do a sculpture honoring Steve Jobs and welcome suggestions.

Posted by iphone lover, a resident of College Terrace
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I don't go anywhere without my iphone. Steve Jobs is always with us, he lives in our heart!

Posted by Observer, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Rob - how about a sculpture depicting people using their iPhones while walking into others or tripping on the sidewalk? That would be honoring the reality.

Posted by not a believer, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Ron, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by not a believer, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Rob Browne, a resident of another community
on Oct 8, 2011 at 12:40 am

Sharon and Not Believer -
I don't really know about Steve Jobs' role as a family man nor do I know his record of philanthropy. Many significant figures in history were flawed. (Even I am flawed!) The sculpture is to honor his accomplishments and worldwide impact on today's technology in terms of art, business and entertainment.

Observer -
I like your sense of humor and wouldn't mind doing that sculpture as well. (FYI: I have a Blackberry.)
Rob

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Oct 8, 2011 at 4:46 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

I found the iPhone almost impossible to use. Perhaps if my fingers were smaller?

Posted by Mort Blort, a resident of another community
on Oct 8, 2011 at 11:17 am

Hrm ... looking in on this from afar, it strikes me that there are some whose disaffection is so great that they can't allow the rest of us a simple period of profound respect. Steve Jobs touched so many in such a positive way. How? With the ultimate humility of producing products of quality. Sure, he drove his employees hard, and his style sometimes went beyond demanding. But that's because he cared like too few do about the people on the other end of the transaction. Sometimes Apple gets it wrong, like all of us, they make mistakes. But what distinguishes them is that they try really damned hard to get things right. And to me, that's a sign of respect for their customers that all good capitalists should learn from.

Whatever Jobs did to make you angry, leave it alone. Let it die. Let it be. Rest in peace.

ps. To questions of Jobs as a philanthropist ... I know Jobs did not subscribe to my faith. But my faith teaches me that one does not take credit for things done in this life. Among other things, that would be down to taking credit publicly for philanthropic activity. Matt 6:1-20 says to not make outward display of humility or generosity, but to do so in private. I've gone in and out of being a Christian in my life, but I've never doubted the essential universal truth of what that particular prophet was getting at there. Give quietly, and take satisfaction quietly. Giving loudly is to take a reward; the action becomes less about giving and more about showing off. Which was the point at the Last Supper.

Posted by Lacey, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 8, 2011 at 9:58 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]

Posted by Jill, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Oct 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm

[Post removed due to same poster using multiple names]

Posted by Svetlana, a resident of Meadow Park
on Oct 16, 2011 at 12:54 pm

The world is empty without him and his spirit, the Macs are just part of him. To live in the USA and don't believe in the money and expensive pants... his value far beond his gadgets

Posted by Sharon, a resident of Midtown
on Oct 16, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Jobs was a goods salesman.

He took ideas from Bell Labs--C ++
and Xerox PARC

Hired good engineers--he was not and engineer

Hired good designers--he was not an industrial designer

This hagiography about Jobs is getting really absurd.

Jobs was a successful Willy Loman--and self promoter with a good eye for machine fashion and selling.

The inventors of the Polio and Smallpox Vaccines did change the world.

Jobs is dead--RIP-- but lets see what his money does to " change the world " after his death.

[Portion removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

His legacy so far is that he made a lot of money for himself--good for him.

Posted by svatoid, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:50 am

[Post removed by Palo Alto Online staff.]

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of East Palo Alto
on Oct 17, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I agree w/svatoid. I'm not a huge Steve fan, for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't blind me to reality. Sharon wants to spin reality because he was a Demo. She even snarked about him on the style thread here at Town Square - talk about petty!

Besides, Jobs's wife founded a nonprofit w/several locations in the area which makes an incredible difference in peoples' lives. She didn't do it all on money she made prior to their marriage, ergo, he contributed. Also, he was a businessman, not a scientific researcher, MD, etc. We can be aware of the facts of his life that are public w/out tearing the man down publicly.

Posted by Emily Grant-Gould, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Oct 17, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Laurene,
I would love to help clean and wash all of the apples left behind and make you canned applesauce for your family to share for years, or for a charity the family holds close to their heart. If you please, send me an email, it's my name @ my hyphenated last name.com.

All my best.

Posted by Sharon, a resident of Midtown
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Jobs deserves whatever the Buddhist equivalent of RIP is.
alo
Our question is who pays for the massive security for the event @ Stanford?

Can we have a report on this?

Jobs had $billions--he was in the 1%

Palo Alto and US taxpayers should not have to pay for any of the security around the Stanford event nor any other security issues around his death.

Also

PAPD where stationed around his house for many days--these costs should be paid by his estate ASAP

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.