Recent "King Kong" Effect From Shoreline

Original post made by baumgrenze on Sep 3, 2011

Last Saturday, 8/28/11, and again last night, 9/2/11, Shoreline Amphitheatre featured rap extravaganzas, the first, 12 hours long, and the second, 3 hours long. The net effect in my neighborhood was that of an automobile equipped with an 800 watt amplifier and matching speakers, parked out front with the windows down and a rap CD cranked up to full volume. The whole purpose of this entertainment is to make the ground and surrounding buildings shake, to make a statement, to say look at me.

Am I the only Palo Altan who would prefer never to experience this again?

Here are some suggestions:

2) It is time to recognize that as a cash-cow, Shoreline has served Mountain View for 25 years. As with real live cows, perhaps it is time to make hamburger out of Shoreline Amphitheatre I and to buy a new heifer, to have Shoreline Amphitheatre II rise from Shoreline Amphitheatre I's ruins, constructed with its stage pointed in a new direction so that the spillover noise and the money all stay in Mountain View.

Does anyone have any more alternatives.

Thanks,

baumgrenze

Posted by Rap?, a resident of Mountain View
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

How about limiting Shoreline to just music, banning rap?

Posted by Complain, complain, complain, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:40 am

How about if we stop with the gross exaggerations (baumgrenze's post) and the ridiculous suggestions (rap?'s post).
Does living in a house in Palo Alto confer a guarantee that you will NEVER be disturbed by noise? There are avenues to address this issue. isn't there a complaint line??
Or are complaints from Palo Alto ignored, since the residents seem to complain about everything and anything!!!

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

Is it the noise or the genre of music?

If Shoreline had a concert of music to your taste, you would probably be opening the windows and enjoying it for free!

Posted by right, a resident of Southgate
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

Too much noise,sometimes it would feel like a flock of crows singing.They resembles the sound of crying from those dead people.

Posted by techo, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

Aug 28th was not a Saturday, last Saturday was 9/3 and I heard the music, so I assume you meant 9/3.

Saturday Sept 3 was the identity festival which features a style of electronic music called techno. I have heard all styles of music when the weather is right to propogate the sound further. Nothing will be done to fix this, at this point its like caltrain, the freeways, and the airport. Learn to live with it, or move away from it. You may not like this reality, but it is what it is.

Posted by baumgrenze, a resident of Triple El
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:17 pm

baumgrenze is a registered user.

In reply to techno, I was off by a day, it was this Saturday:

Web Link

Rock the Bells Festival Series
rockthebells.net/ - Cached
Get Tickets for Rock the Bells ... San Francisco - Saturday August 27, 2011: Shoreline Amphitheater;

Web Link

Note the set time schedule that starts at 10:55 AM "Freddie Gibbs" and ends with "Raekwon + Ghostface" 10:15 - 11:30 PM. To view this schedule you need to select 'set times' and then use the maximize button to see it clearly.

Web Link

Lil' Wayne
Friday, Sep 2 7:00p
at Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA

Due to popular demand, iconic rapper and label owner Lil' Wayne will extend his 2011 North American "I Am Still Music" tour.
Accompanying Lil' Wayne in Hershey will be Rick Ross, Keri Hilson, Far East Moment and Lloyd.

A dynamic performer celebrated for his endless energy and high voltage live show, Lil' Wayne's I Am Still Music tour continues to be his strongest to date. read more

I have neighbors who bought their homes in 1955 and were resident 30 years when Shoreline was built and pointed right at us. I was here only 15 years. If I opened a night club next door to your house and had acts performing until late on an outdoor patio, would you assume that you should move out if you found the new intrusion an invasion of privacy? Commercial airplanes and CalTrain are momentary irritations when compared to continuous hours of drivel from Shoreline.

I doubt that anything will ever come of the 'complaint line.' I called and/or wrote for years to no avail.

Posted by Complain, complain, complain, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Sep 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I thought the issue of sound from Shoreline also has to do with weather conditions, i.e. cloud cover etc. I live near Shoreline and usually hear nothing that annoying.
I think you are overexaggerating the amount of noise ("an automobile equipped with an 800 watt amplifier and matching speakers, parked out front with the windows down and a rap CD cranked up to full volume" and " I opened a night club next door to your house and had acts performing until late on an outdoor patio, "). Since had it been that way, the phone lines at police HQ would have been flooded.

Your first suggestion ("1) State legislation to provide for the transfer of all gross receipts from such an event, including parking, to a neighboring community if the noise spills into any neighboring communities in the obnoxious way these two shows did."

Sounds suspiciously like a post on this thread
Web Link
"Posted by Sharon, a resident of the Midtown neighborhood, on Sep 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm
This is an outrage--this thug-drug noise is still going on at 9.30 pm
the owners need to stop the noxious noise or pay for this noise pollution at $10,000 per PA home owner."

The Shoreline concerts are not everyday occurrences, Caltrain and airplanes are. Sounds to me like you object to the type of music, as another poster pointed out. Or else this is all a put on, as I think it is based on your orignial post.

This is not the 60s when such drugy noise had some market value.

Report Objectionable Content

Posted by Louder than ever, a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I have lived in Palo Alto for 35 years and the past two weekends have been louder than I have ever heard it before. The original poster is not exaggerating when he/she says that it sounded like an automobile was in front of the house with an 800 watt amp. Our house was literally vibrating from the bass from Shoreline.

I've heard a few concerts get very loud, Toby Keith was one in the past, but the last two were far louder than any we have experienced in the past. Both nights were clear, no clouds or fog in the sky. Mountain View needs to put a clamp on their amps.

Posted by Complain, complain, complain, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Sep 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

"Both nights were clear, no clouds or fog in the sky. Mountain View needs to put a clamp on their amps."

So how come I did not hear it in my house and I live a half a mile from Shoreline????
Why do we begrudge people having a good time, enjoying some music. These concerts happen on rare occasions. Should we shut down Shoreline as well as SFo to appease PA???

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.