Possible epilepsy trigger point identified

Original post made on Aug 23, 2011

A brain-circuit defect that triggers the most common form of childhood epilepsy has been identified by Stanford University School of Medicine researchers.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, August 23, 2011, 3:11 PM

Posted by question, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 23, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I don't want to undermine the significance of this remarkable achievement, but...

My first test in college biochemistry had an organic chemistry question on it. I thought the answer was obvious and having been something of a whiz in organic chem, I was a little stunned that I missed it. When I asked about it, the TA deadpanned: Yes, that reaction is correct, but it's not what happens in the human body.

Oh.

Just because these researchers can reproduce the symptomology in the mice does not mean that's what is happening to produce that symptomology in the human disease. I just find this approach a bit too circular. In children with absence seizures, the ketogenic diet can be curative - does anything comparable happen in some of these mice models if given the same conditions?

Posted by Kim , a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Aug 24, 2011 at 12:54 pm

This is very interesting. My 11 year old daughter started having seizures last April. We were told she has benign Rolandic Epilepsy. We have never seen her have the twitching of the face, drooling, silent stare. We have witnessed about 10 Tonic Clonic seizures. They begin with in 15 minutes after she falls asleep. During the beginning of the summer her seizures were coming more frequently. Her doctor in Oakland thought it might be a good ides to start her on medication because they were coming so regularly. We decided to wait and make a lifestyle change. We started making sure she was in bed no later then 10:00. She has not had a seizure since. It has been a little over a month. This is all very new to us I would appreciate any input...

Posted by E springer, a resident of another community
on Aug 24, 2011 at 9:11 pm

My daughter has absence siezures that we first noticed at 18 months. The sensory overload makes complete sense. She is 6 and we homeschool bc the more she concentrates the worse they get. She would be totally lost in a classroom setting. She also takes meds.

Posted by marie, a resident of another community
on Aug 27, 2011 at 10:46 am

My son was recently diagnosed with epilepsy. He has absence seizures, but they seem to be controlled well with Keppra. No one talked to me about the possibility of putting him on a ketogenic diet, and I haven't seen anything about it in the literature I've found.

One of the most puzzling things about my youngest son's seizures is that they result in expressive aphasia and he is unable to remember how to swallow a pill (he will have a seizure approximately 6 hours after missing a dose of Keppra). His older brother had a grand mal seizure a little over a year ago. Immediately following that seizure he was unable to speak. He underwent emergency surgery to remove a tumor on the right temporal lobe of the brain. My younger son's seizures originate in the temporal lobe, but fortunately he has no tumor.

I appreciate the additional avenue to pursue. I'm also hoping that the family history of "growing out of epilepsy" holds true.

Posted by A Senior, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Aug 27, 2011 at 12:38 pm

This research seems to concentrate mainly on childhood epilepsy which is most important. However, epilepsy can first manifest itself in the old which can be very troubling to an otherwise healthy senior.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.