Sign of the times: gross government management

Original post made by The Real Slim K, Midtown, on Jul 27, 2011

Sad to say, cause you'd never guess, but I'm talking about about a terrific place--the Rincanada Pool. Yes, the perfectly maintained public pool, even the restrooms!, near the house of our town's hero, Steve J, where kids line up every Halloween for extravagant gift bags and ghoulish surprises in the backyard as if it were a Disneyland ride. The pool is bordered by a 'magic' redwood grove next to deep blue skies that make you wonder 'hey, how did I get to Pope Beach/Tahoe?' It is much better than San Francisco summer fog...it is exceedingly nice.

This story contains 839 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Knuckles Hooligan
a resident of JLS Middle School
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:57 am

They're making you pay WHAT?! Man! uh, would you like me and some of my friends to deliver a message to these gentlemen for you?

Posted by The Real Slim K
on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:25 am

Thanks, Knuckles. I think David Lynch called it a 'love letter.' nah. You kids stay out of trouble.!

btw, my subject line was supposed to be:

SIGN OF THE TIMES: GROSS GOVT. MISMANAGEMENT RECTIFIED BY FRAUDULENT GOUGING OF THE PUBLIC

Posted by Resident
on Jul 28, 2011 at 8:18 am

You raise some good points. Unfortunately your post comes across as a rant, it is too long and very confusing. The headline when it was in block capitals appeared immature.

This is what I understand from your post.

1. The new system does not have enough cards for the number of people who want to use them.

2. There is a minimum of 10 swims per person which have to be purchased regardless of how late in the season the cards are purchased and cannot be carried forward into next year.

3. The cards are not transferrable within a family.

If this is the case, I would send email to all the city departments and each of the council members in a simple and concise manner.

I hope you get somewhere because I discovered some years ago that the service at Rinconada Pool was going downhill. Do they have any lockers for valuables yet, or do you still have to hide your keys under your clothes at the side of the pool? That was my gripe the last time I used it, several years ago.

Posted by Roger Overnaut
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Jul 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

"There is a minimum of 10 swims per person which have to be purchased regardless of how late in the season the cards are purchased and cannot be carried forward into next year."

Nothing new. See Matthew 20:1-15

Posted by The Real Slim K
on Jul 28, 2011 at 11:26 am

thanks for response, a Resident. I halfway expected a joke about 'my hair covering up' my good point. But still...

to clarify, my entire beef is that were I told by the pool when I made my original purchase at the beginning of summer that I would need to buy 10 swims per kid and per adult minimum, no problem, I just would have done it and used them all (or most of them at least). Not only was this NOT the case, but I even saved the original flyer that specified there would be "no minimum" and the employee at the time also told me that I could "add on swims later, however many you want." Period.

Even now, the reasonable solution to this about-face policy would seem to me to be, just allow the people such as myself who were directly misinformed both verbally AND in writing by Rincanada Pool, to purchase the remainder of the 10 tickets--for each kid and each adult, that I did not purchase the first time. THEN, with only 4 weeks left, I would have at least a chance of going swimming 5 more times (rather than 10).

A resident: there are still no lockers, which there could be and that would be a reasonable way to make extra funds I would think. Although the Yelp page compliments P.A. residents when it says, 'you know your shoes wont walk off by themselves here,' you are certainly right to worry about other non-shoe items.

and please, Roger: No Jebus' verses. I try to live a non-superstitious life the best I can, even though some people think this makes me immature and ranting.

Posted by It's the Jews
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jul 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm

These new testament bible verses are about employers and employees, they are not about govt. agencies and tax-paying consumers. There is a difference. Further, the theme of the right that the "generous" employer has to pay the employee whatever he wants, even if one does less work than another and the (low level grunts who worked longer make no more), does not appear to bring any wisdom to this discussion...

Posted by nottrue
a resident of Southgate
on Jul 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I was there this year,they offered 3 people with 3 passes for close to $36 each time you use their pool.

Posted by The Real Slim K
on Jul 29, 2011 at 6:27 am

nottrue:

things change. The rule about minimum swims being purchased in advance did not exist in May/June. Now, it does and it is unfairly punitive against those May/June buyers who could not have known, as well as to those who may move out of Palo Alto before next year and so forth. It frankly is no different than being charged a higher price at a supermarket than it was listed in the aisle. It is deceptive, and it is wrong.

Its the Jews: thanks. That was one of my very favorite Seinfelds, about the limo.

Posted by nottrue
a resident of Southgate
on Aug 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm

it can be added later on.