Buyer Beware! Door to Door guys trying to sell AT&T U-verse

Original post made by Crescent Park Dad on Jun 24, 2011

There are sales guys going door to door trying to sell you AT&T U-verse.

They are not AT&T employees, they work for an SF firm called "EMW".

They claim they are contracted by ATT, but they did not have any photo I
ID's nor did they have any Palo Alto permitted ID/paperwork.

Whatever you do, don't buy from them without calling AT&T to verify whether you can receive U-verse (I want it for faster Internet). I called ATT this morning and found that U-verse is available in my neighborhood, but barely faster than the DSL speed I have now.

The guy was also trying to sell U-verse voice to me. ATT said that the voice option is not available in our neighborhood at all.

Posted by AT&T sucks, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:34 am

AT&T sucks. I am constantly junk mail and junk phone calls from "AT&T contractors" trying to sell me U-Verse. I keep telling them "do not call" but they say they cannot since I'm already an AT&T customer (phone landline).

Posted by Thanks, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jun 24, 2011 at 11:42 am

I'll send this to my neighborhood.

Posted by TedM, a resident of Midtown
on Jun 24, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Thanks for posting about this. This guys are super annoying. They always come during dinner. The last time, I opened the door, and saw some AT&T brochures, and immediately said, "I don't want Uverse." Then he tried to pretend he was "just coming about a problem with the lines in the area." As if. Like repairmen usually wear ties on the job, and the only equipment they have is channel listings for uverse. So, when I told him I wasn't interested, he goes, "oh, can I ask why not," and so I said, "cuz."
Great point, Crescent Park dad - these guys probably don't care at all about the quality of your service. I haven't read any tremendous reviews about Uverse. Additionally, I would like to dump AT&T DSL because they keep jacking up the prices. At this point, I wonder if going back to cable might be a good option. Who knows.
I'm going to find my old 2400 baud modem and see if I can still connect to Compuserve.

Posted by Bob, a resident of Community Center
on Jun 25, 2011 at 11:50 am

My wife and I fell for this - initially , having had it with some problems with ATT DSL. SHE was impeccably dressed, slight accent, claimed to have a Master's degree from SF State, and was concerned about our DSL speed since high speed lines were or are being installed in our neighborhood.(Already here). She was from someplace in Europe. Mentioned nothing initially about UVERSE. It was a weekend and was very hot, and we offered her cold water or lemonade. It was only after she 'checked' our computer to check the speed did the hype over U-Verse begin. I told her I was not going to dump DISH - period. She politely said that was not a good idea. She finally left when we held her ground and escorted her out. I saw another young man also impeccably dressed carrying a similar clipboard and papers the next day on the corner of Channing and Guinda.

Posted by Not Gullible, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Bob, are you naive? You just let anyone into your home? These adults who knock on doors never have anything worthwhile to sell and you are risking your safety. I don't open my door to any of them. I turn them down through my window. I suppose you'd also fall for the email of "Hello, I am stuck in Europe - please send money" or the phone call of "What is your Social Security number and birthdate?" or even the "I've got land in Florida to sell for cheap."

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jun 25, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Yeah, you are under no obligation to open your door to YOUR home to anyone. The likelihood of their offering a legit, worthwhile service is pretty low and there is a certain amount of risk when you engage with someone off the street like this. If you may be interested in AT&T, for example, why not research their products yourself and buy from them in a business setting as opposed to door-to-door, which is proven to have so many risks.

Posted by Don't Be Rude , a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jun 25, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Hah! The gypsies strike again!

Also, quit carping on Bob - he's not in the wrong and he can let whomever her wants in his home. Not Gullible's comments were rude - try an etiquette course.

Posted by Amy, a resident of another community
on Feb 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm

These douch-bags are at my door right now and I tried telling my husband that we were not getting service through these people and I was shooed away. They've been talking for over 45 min. We'll see what happens.... :-/

Posted by call the police, a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 12, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Ask to see their IDs. Door-to-door solicitors are required to have IDs and permits. If they cannot produce them, call the police.

Half the time, these guys are just burglars casing your home. If you don't answer the door, they look for an unlocked window and break in. If you are home, the pretend they are salesmen, but they also try to figure out when you are not home so they can break in.

Not answering the door is a bad idea, though replying without opening the door may be safe.

Posted by bettyswift, a resident of another community
on May 21, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Many individuals who are selling things door-to-door are completely honest and have a tough job. However, not all are, and some want to do more than just to get you hopelessly addicted to infernally scrumptious cookies. A number of door-to-door cons are being reported nationwide, so the amount of them active in many areas might be growing. Some people end up needing installment loans to get by until the month is over after a scam.

Posted by Crescent Park Dad, a resident of Crescent Park
on May 22, 2013 at 11:41 am

There was a firm (from San Francisco) who tried doing this about 18-24 months ago. It is 100% BS and then some.

If you want U-Verse, call AT&T directly. They'll tell you whether you can receive U-Verse and/or whether the service is any better than their DSL.

Posted by Matt, a resident of another community
on Jun 16, 2013 at 7:39 pm

I'm one of the creeps selling Uverse door to door. It's a challenging job, but I am compensated for my efforts. I am paid 100% commission. That doesn't automatically make me a con-artist. Uverse is a good product @ a good price and when you buy through the door to door creeps we can often save you money and upgrade your services at the same time.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE AFFRAID OF THE SALESPEOPLE. If you open the door I'm going to smile at you, compliment your lawn, pet your dog and ask you a few questions about your cable bill and the services you are already receiving. Lighten up people

Posted by Amber, a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 17, 2013 at 9:21 am

Me, too. Also one of the creeps, passing a background check and drug test. I've cut $100 off of people's monthly bills. I don't feel bad about what I do. At all.

Posted by fed up, a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 17, 2013 at 9:59 am

I got so fed up with the constant AT&T U-Verse phone calls, junk mail, and door-to-door hawkers that I canceled my AT&T service altogether. "Do Not Call" and "No Solicitors" don't work. I'm happy to have no ties with these scammers anymore.

Posted by Travis, a resident of another community
on Nov 23, 2013 at 6:02 pm

As one of those door to door salesmen, I just want to say that most of us are good, hardworking people who have a tough job. However, you are DEFINITELY not wrong to ask for IDs/permits before doing business with any of us. There are a lot of scammers out there, and they give us legit salesmen a bad name, I would prefer if everyone would ask for IDs/Permits and call the cops if they cannot produce these items, because the less scammers out there, the better for all of us.

That being said, most of us are only out here to help. I encourage everyone to keep an open mind. If it makes sense for you to switch, do it. If it doesn't make sense, no worries. We are just here to present the information, and to make the process of switching service providers as convenient as possible for the customer.

Cheers!

Posted by John, a resident of Los Altos
on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:46 pm

These solicitors who attempt to hawk AT&T's U-Verse are ruthless thugs. A few years ago my elderly mother was almost the victim of identity theft when two guys came to her door trying to hawk AT&T's U-Verse. Thank goodness I happened to overhear the conversation that was taking place. One of the solicitors was doing all of the talking, while "his accomplice" wasn't saying much at all. He was squatting down on my mother's porch smirking the whole time. The first thing that the talker said to my mother was, "All of your utilities are going underground and you need to upgrade right away." My mother looked shocked and surprised at the same time. Then the same solicitor said, "We'll need to sign you up right away. You will need a new password." Then my mother was asked for her social security number! What? I was seething inside listening to this con artist playing and preying. The solicitor asked my mother for her Comcast billing statement. My mother said she didn't have the statement as she paid the bill. My mother said, "All I have is my water bill statement." The solicitor said, "Oh that'd be fine." That's when I stepped in and told these guys that we're not interested in your service. They would not take no for an answer. I had to resort to calling 911 and a police officer was questing the two men. Sadly they weren't arrested since they were "documented" with the "proper ID and permits." Yes, but they attempted to steal case sensitive data from my mother. Why did they want my mother's social security number? And why did they want to see my mother's water bill? Account numbers are as good as gold for these thugs. My mother was raised in an era to trust people. Trust your doctor, trust your minister or priest, trust, trust, trust. Well, we now know that you don't always trust your doctor, never trust a priest or minister, and NEVER trust some Bozo going door to door telling tall tales with intentions to ravage your bank account! I called AT&T to complain and all I got was the typical runaround. AT&T claims that they employee their solicitors from third party sources, and the rep I spoke with refused to tell me the name of the agency they use to contract their solicitors. You suck AT&T!

Posted by corporate trainer for uverse door sales, a resident of Stanford
on Feb 26, 2014 at 3:44 am

Fyi, at&t outsorces not only for outdoor sales but call centers and retail stores. Unfortunately a few representatives hold no integrity to what they do because they lack information about the true job for the client: provide better communication and customer service for new and existing customers acquisitions. I worked for one such company alongside a graduate of Harvard and William and Mary. I graduated from Middlebury College. We are the new faces for at&t. We strive for the American dream...be successful and enjoy life...we are the ones beginning to train and develop others to have better skills tan us. How we do so is by following a legitimate business plan/ system that not only increases revenue for the client but also improves their image via exemplary face to face facilitation...so i totally understand how many may feel regarding strangers at your door. I felt the same way too before this opportunity. What i found by working with the company is that you customers don't know why I'm at your door...you don't know who we are...not taking it personal. But many of us uphold our professionalism and educate ourselves immensely in order to help with transitions to the new ip networking system. I can't change opinions immediately but i can help 1 to 2 of you daily. Over time perfected automated drones will be at your door lol...please consider the positives behind outsourcing

Posted by neighbor, a resident of another community
on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:34 am

THIS STORY IS FROM 2011....this is 2014

Posted by AT&T sucks, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:38 am

AT&T still sucks in 2014. We cancelled all our AT&T services because the company is so obnoxious.

Posted by AT&T SUCKS, a resident of Crescent Park
on Feb 27, 2014 at 12:30 am

Just go around Palo Alto and ask people how many if they had the choice would move away from AT&T ... I think the percentage would be around 66% .... two-thirds.

As far as I know there is no competition for phone and Internet without being forced to buy cable.

I was one of the first people I know to get DSL/broadband to my residences, and the first years were hell. Outages, slow performances, customer representative that knew nothing and would make you scramble around trying to pin outages on the customer when it was clearly a system issue.

Well, thankfully DSL has gotten better, but I have had outages that last days at times ... not often, but never once have I been offered any compensation back. No breaks on my bills.

AT&T used to be a well-respected company, now it is a thug.

If I had an alternative I'd cut the cord and never look back, and I bet lots of other Palo Altans would too. So ... why doesn't our city do something about getting some competition into the communications sector.

Not only that, but way into an are where cellphones/smartphones are ubiquitous, I still be very low connectivity bars on my phone. Just the edge of acceptable down near unacceptable. I found out how to switch my iPhone from showing bars to showing a numeric rating ... and the rating in my house in the middle of Crescent Park in this age of the Internet in Silicon Valley is one step from being the worst possible.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.