Palo Alto mother seeks marrow donors for her son, or others

Original post made on May 6, 2011

As she watches her 12-year-old son grow weaker from repeated rounds of chemotherapy, Palo Alto resident Liz Poux stays focused on what will be needed to save his life. Nico Poux, a seventh-grader who has lived with leukemia since the age of 6, is preparing for a bone-marrow transplant at Stanford Hospital. His family is casting the widest possible net for the most suitable donor.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, May 6, 2011, 9:48 AM

Posted by Jane
on May 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I donated my bone marrow in 1979 and gave the gift of life to my sister. I also know the pain of losing a child. My heart goes out to the family. I encourage people to step up and help. It's an incredible opportunity.

Posted by HSS
a resident of Southgate
on May 6, 2011 at 5:09 pm

We're on the registry because my son died of Leukemia. I'd love to be a match for someone. My family hopes a match is found for Nico.

Posted by Sharon
on May 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm

A very sad tale

There is no shortage of Caucasian donors in the US

Could someone explain why Asian Americans are so reluctant to donate bone marrow?

The risk is tiny

Posted by Koa
a resident of Mountain View
on May 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I hope Nico finds a match!

Posted by Match?
a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 7, 2011 at 3:36 am

Oh!! I was just thinking of going over to be matched, but it looks like there is no way I could match if I am white? Does one have to Asian to be a match? Is there a chance if I am white?

Well, on the other hand..I would be going in honor of Nico, but I suppose there is a chance I would match someone else on a waiting list, so I will go anyway.

Posted by Brit
on May 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

Posted by James
on May 8, 2011 at 8:59 am

Good Morning!

I just wanted to answer some of the questions that were posted above. My name is James and I am with the Asian American Donor Program (AADP) with the Be the Match Registry.

The first question, "Why are Asian Americans are so reluctant to donate bone marrow"

There are many factors that contribute to why Asian Americans are reluctant to register as marrow donors. One major factor is education. I've personally seen that if we can show how simple it is to register and how important it is to be a marrow donor, people make better decisions about becoming a bone marrow donor or not.

The next Question, "I was just thinking of going over to be matched, but it looks like there is no way I could match if I am white? Does one have to Asian to be a match? Is there a chance if I am white?"

The centers that manage the transplants has found that ethnicity is a major factor when matching between patients. This means that if the patient is Chinese, their donor is probably going to be Chinese. This does not mean a Caucasian person cannot match with a Chinese person-- the probability is just significantly lower.

The last question, "British people are not allowed to give blood. Does that mean British people can't donate or go on a marrow donors list?"

You are definitely welcome to register to part of the Be the Match registry. There are different guidelines to register as a potential marrow/stem cell donor. The general guidelines are:
-Be between the ages of 18-60 years old.
-Be in general good health.
-Be willing to donate to anyone in need.

Please visit www.aadp.org/drive to see upcoming marrow/stem cell registration drives in the Bay Area.

If you have other questions or concerns feel free to email us at info@aadp.org or check visit www.marrow.org

Thank you for your continued support!