Palo Alto Elks unveil new lodge; public open house set for Sunday

Original post made on Mar 12, 2011

Opening the door to what they hope will be a new era for their 88-year-old organization, members of the Palo Alto Elks unveiled their 40,000- square-foot lodge at 4249 El Camino Real Saturday afternoon. A public open house is scheduled for Sunday from 1 to 4 p.m.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, March 12, 2011, 5:33 PM

Posted by Peter, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 12, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Is the facility open to the public? Can we dine in the restaurant?

Posted by Jocelyn Dong, editor of the Palo Alto Weekly
on Mar 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Jocelyn Dong is a registered user.

@Peter, the facility is open to Elks members, but they can bring guests.

Posted by Long Memory, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Mar 13, 2011 at 2:33 pm

This the same Elks Lodge Association that used to bar Blacks and Jews from membership until the civil rights act passed and it was forced to do so. I remember when my friends father was the first Jew allowed into the Palo Alto Chapter in the mid-sixties. A 'token" member.

Posted by Toady, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Mar 13, 2011 at 3:28 pm

You mean, like baseball and college basketball?

Jeez. This is 2011, not 1950.

Posted by Longer Memory, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 13, 2011 at 9:06 pm

""It blows my mind that people would want to be associated with an organization that once institutionalized racism and bigotry."

You mean, like baseball and college basketball?"

Or even the United States of America. Go back far enough, and there are skeletons in everyone's closet.

Posted by Mountain View Mom, a resident of Mountain View
on Mar 14, 2011 at 10:49 am

I'm an Elks member and can tell you that an important part of membership is community service. We spend hours at the Veteran's hospital, fund physical therapists for geographically isolated children with handicaps, organize special events for people with mental and physical disabilities, fund college scholarships and more. As a female member, another group previously excluded from membership, I can tell you that the Elks have grown as an organization, much like Americans in general.

Posted by Eva, a resident of Ventura
on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I agree with Mom from Mt. View. My husband is also an Elk member and it is very community oriented. As a matter of fact the current president is a woman. So yes, the history may have been limited to white men, but that fact is very changed now.

The Elks are very committed to growing their membership, so if you know an Elk contact them about joining! It's very family oriented.

Posted by John , a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm

When I got drafted in 1944 the Elks provided everyone on the draft detail with a toilet kit to take to the induction center and on into the Army.

The writer of this story did not explain why did they used to glue members to the wall.

Posted by Got Elks?, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:06 pm

It shouldn't blow your mind, I am a Muslim, non white, and I am a member and "worst" of all for you, people that I find bigots and segregates are those who hide behind computer screens to unleash their loneliness issues.

Dear Elks Members, Thank you! Thank you ! Thank you!

I could not have met better people than you. My children are so happy when they visit and cannot wait for the pool to open. We already purchased the swimming gears.

Posted by Palo Alto Agnostic, a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Mar 14, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Website says: "To join the Elks you must be a U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years of age with a belief in God and country."

I guess it doesn't have to be the "Christian God" since GotElks is a member, but would they accept an atheist or Agnostic? I'm a firm believer in my country, but not in a god.

Posted by P.A. Native, a resident of Mountain View
on Mar 15, 2011 at 6:17 pm

There are some nice people at the Elks Lodge and they have a fine organization. That being said, the new lodge looks like a hip new sushi restaurant.

Posted by Jason Castlebury, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on May 28, 2012 at 1:01 am

Well if your against the days that were the big Grand days of BPOE.
Then I'm sorry you have to read about something your not involved with in those days.
If you think white Elk members were bad to African American's.
Then why did a certain African American Male "Stole" out of a Elk travel bag on a train.
I have forgotten where and what train, but the ticket clerk saw the right time and took
The BPOE Elks ritual hand book for his own.
To learn about the meeting practices and hidden meanings of Elks rituals.
With that they went and did a very dishonest thing and put a copy right on the BPOE
and turned the ritual into the I.B.P.O.E. of the World trade mark.
How would you like it if some one stole your Bank accnt. #.
You wouldn't be to happy with that person or person's.
So , dude their are lodges for African American's

Posted by Jason Castlebury, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on May 28, 2012 at 1:20 am

Plus if we're that much of a secret society still.
Then Like the Mason's and Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias,
Why do I need to care about what a non-member thinks?
The public and all fraternal lodges should have a good relationship
But I am not going be Governed by outside public influences other than State and Fedral Goverment!
Just like I don't tell the guy who said Palo Alto Elks Lodge is racist.
I don't go and say discriminating things about the way he does things in his private life.
Or tell him he's a horride guy and tell himm what to do , say, feel, or think!!!
And on top of all that . I don't think the IBPOE of world would allow me as a White male into the Elk lodges or Temples. Plus if you don't like Masons and think they rule the world. Then I will have you know the IBPOEW is more Masonic like then we are today in the BPOE USA. If white elks are so bad why practice rituals from the White Devils Hands?

Posted by Jason Castlebury, a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 28, 2012 at 1:34 am

To answer the last question I want to answer:
Yes you have to believe in the Supreme Being
or Grand Ruler of the Universe aka God if you want to call
Him or for Masons Grand Archt. of the Universe or
Deity .
To join any of the worlds or American fraternaties!!!
Period.
No non-believers need to apply.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

The dress code
By Jessica T | 21 comments | 1,861 views

Two Days to Save This Dog?
By Cathy Kirkman | 15 comments | 1,230 views

September food and drink goings on

. . . People will never forget how you made them feel.

It Depends... Disguising Real Characters in Fiction