Computer Privacy

Original post made by Priscilla, Charleston Gardens, on Dec 12, 2010

My husband set up the computers used in our house. Can you tell I'm not computer savvy? What do I mean by 'set-up'? He got them working, basically. I have no idea how to do that. I just got an IPAD as a gift and he got that operable for me, too. I'm wondering, does this mean that he can access my email...basically eavesdrop on what I do online?

Posted by yes
on Dec 12, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Anyone that has access to your computer and enough knowledge could easily see your email even if its somewhere like google. Heck he could even see this question to PAonline if he knew how.

Posted by Anon
on Dec 13, 2010 at 5:24 am

Posted by Why?
on Dec 13, 2010 at 8:16 am

Yes .. he can and someone else can too, if the network is unsecured.

But .. why are you so worried about your husband seeing your internet activity? If there are no secrets to hide .. why worry ! Make sure you make your netwrk more secure though

Posted by Priscilla
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Dec 13, 2010 at 8:57 am

Oh, I have tons of secrets. I'm worried. So how do I make it secure? I don't mean that I think he'll take my computer and forage around on it. I mean, can he, through his own computer see my stuff because he set mine up? I think you are all saying he can. How can I change that? Can I unregister my computer and then re-register it using my own passwords, etc.?

Posted by spyware
a resident of College Terrace
on Dec 13, 2010 at 11:12 am

If he has already installed spyware on your computer, uninstalling it will take some amount of expertise.

Posted by Priscilla
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Dec 13, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Jeez. I don't have expertise. Maybe Greg, on the Norwegian Rat thread, does. But he sounds outdoorsy.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis
on Dec 13, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

You can password protect anything you want to secure. It isn't perfect but it keeps honest folk honest.