Panda Express coming to Palo Alto?

Original post made by Pandamania, Adobe-Meadows, on Nov 15, 2010

I just saw two people on Twitter say that there are signs up announcing that Panda Express is coming to Palo Alto. It's about time--I've been having to rely on the one in the Hillsdale Mall in San Mateo. Does anyone know where the location is? I haven't seen the signs anywhere...I'm assuming it's near downtown?

Posted by WilliamR
a resident of Fairmeadow
on Nov 15, 2010 at 4:08 pm

It's on El Camino and Cambridge, across from Jack-In-The-Box. There used to be an old Chinese restaurant there.

Posted by no panda for me
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Nov 15, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Panda is one of the better fake Chinese food restaurants, but with so many real (and inexpensive) Chinese restaurants in the area, why bother?

Posted by Pandamania
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Nov 16, 2010 at 5:06 am

Yeah, I know. I get some crap from people who view Panda Express as the Taco Bell of Chinese food, and my liking it appears even more objectionable to some since I am Chinese myself. Too bad! Their food is in its own category, yes like Taco Bell, or perhaps more appropriately, Chipotle. I'm not looking for authentic cuisine, here, just something good. And to be honest, a lot of "real" Chinese restaurants have a lot of unattractive things about them that can make them a less than enjoyable experience.

Posted by Too Much Traffic
on Nov 16, 2010 at 8:05 am

I hope the new Panda Express does not cause any new traffic problems in Palo alto. Has the company guaranteed no new net car trips into Palo Alto? What about housing for their employees. I thought Palo Alto discouraged chains from opening in town, so that their would be no competition for locally owned stores.

(Why the deletion of this post, editors?? It contains nothing offensive and just states the position of many of our city leaders regarding other businesses and entities in town)

Posted by annoyed
on Nov 16, 2010 at 9:57 am

"so much traffic"...everyone wants more city services. How do you think they will pay for it if we don't bring more money into the city to boost our city funds. Get real. It's the El Camino for goodness sake.

Posted by palo alto mom
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:39 am

Guys - can't you see the "too much traffic" is being funny? and I love Panda Express, no one expects a chain to have "authentic" food, just decent prices and good taste.

Posted by Too Much Traffic
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:47 am

Thank you, Palo Alto mom. It is hard sometimes to convey emotion or purpose when posting on the internet.
Annoyed is correct, we want city services, which are paid for by tax dollars. Yet we do not want traffic or other issues that arise when people come to town to shop or stay. We cannot have it both ways. Unfortunately, many in the city have been using the "too much traffic" argument to stall development and drive away business

Posted by Yes!
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 16, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Finally they are coming to Palo Alto. I am Chinese and know good Chinese food for sure, but the Panda is good enough in a pinch, especially since my kids don't eat other fast food. I hope it has good cooks. The one at Valley Fair is good but the one in Redwood City is terrible.

Posted by Tim
on Nov 16, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Great food and cheap! When I visit the outlets in Gilroy, I always get some Panda Express to go.

Posted by annoyed
on Nov 16, 2010 at 10:23 pm

My apologies "too much traffic"

Have you guys tried Mr Chaus? They serve similar food to Panda.

Posted by Yes!
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 18, 2010 at 1:55 am

Mr. Chau's IS NOT similar to Panda. Chau's is inedible.

Posted by Disgusted
on Nov 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm

A very good restaurant that was there forever - Peking Duck - was forced out by the landlord, replaced by a POS fast-food restaurant. What progress, indeed!

Posted by RickGrind
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 24, 2010 at 11:31 am

Palo Alto is now complete. I CANNOT wait for Panda to open.

Posted by Yes!
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Peking Duck? Dirty restaurant, expensive, lousy food. Welcome, Panda!

Posted by ashley
on Mar 8, 2011 at 8:48 pm

When is panda express opening?

Posted by just thinkin'
on Mar 10, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Soooooooo I guess all the noise about Peking Duck moving out of the location with the fadeddddddddddd awning was not heard by the herd...........................