Our house got egged last night

Original post made by Midtowner on Apr 16, 2010

Some loser or two egged our house at 11 pm last night. I can't believe that they have nothing else more exciting to do. This is the third time that it has happened. I called the police and they said that they will patrol the area more. I hate to bother them with something so stupid.
I think that it is someone who lives in the area as I did not hear a car pull away.

We talk so much about how the students in Palo Alto get a good education and then go on to make a success of themselves. These kids are obviously falling through the cracks. I hope that they will realize that this behavior helps no one!! And they will go on to things more useful.

Posted by Who knows, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:12 am

"We talk so much about how the students in Palo Alto get a good education and then go on to make a success of themselves. These kids are obviously falling through the cracks. "

Let's see. You did not see who did it, but you state that it was Palo Alto students. How did you reach that conlucsion? Maybe they were from San Jose and parked their car down the street from you or who really knows who they were.

Maybe it was one of your "neighborhood leaders" who was unhappy with the fact that you disagreed with her.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:36 am

Do you have kids? If so, I bet they have a good idea about who is doing this.

And if this were happening repeatedly to my house, I would put up some cheap video surveillance cameras to catch the perp in the act.

Posted by Marty, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 11:03 am

I'm going to post a separate thread about an aspect of this, but I've seen kids near my house doing more than just "blowing off steam." Its spring break and they are probably bored, which is normal, but obviously there are some parents out there who are providing an adequate level of supervision and guidance for their teenagers.

Posted by Marty, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 11:04 am

Sorry - to clarify that last sentence, I mean "parents out there who are NOT providing..."

Posted by Anonymous, a resident of Fairmeadow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 11:29 am

Setup a surveillance camera with motion detection and turn over the resulting video to the Police. You may have to put a sign warning of video surveillance as well.

Posted by Anon., a resident of Crescent Park
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Video cameras are cheap and easy to buy and set up these day, go to Fry's to buy them off the shelves. You can have the camera email an address when it gets tripped and that email address can be to a cell phone to wake you up. Careful of false positives or you'll never sleep again.

I would also put motion detecting floodlights where it will illuminate the area so that it will make it possible for the cameras as catch the criminals.

They could be going by on bikes or in cars and throwing eggs, so you need the motion detector to be set to high sensitivity so it will activate the cameras, and set the cameras to keep a few minutes before whatever event triggers them, that will give you the maximum chance to catch whoever it is.

My house has never been egged, but down the street a neighbor's house was, and the tree had toilet paper in it for months. It is a pain to look at, and pretty hard to clean as well. Eggs can do real damage too.

Posted by Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Walter- good respond. Maybe it was Martians- but where would they get the eggs? And as you added- but more likely...
Steve-I do have kids. They can not think of anyone who would do it. Good idea re the camera- the police suggested it as well. He said that if I get a shot of the culprit they could take it from there...
I don't care where they come from- P.A. or San Jose this an immature, irresponsible and cowardly act. I doubt that this is it- but if anyone is against something my kids or I stand for- this is not the way to tell us. They should simply talk to us.

Posted by Kate, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Why is Paly closed today? Is this Spring Break - again? How many of these 'breaks' do the students have? It's mid-April!! Normally there is a ski weeek earlier and all sorts of holidays, but none on Good Friday this year or Passover for "Easter".Must be hard on moms working outside the home.

Posted by Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Dear Anon,
Thank you for stating: "Making fun of someone who is in this situation is not funny, or blaming the victim." I appreciate your writing that!
I found the first poster's comment not helpful and just ignored it.
I am going to consider your suggestions. I had been thinking about getting more lights in the front anyway.
Thanks again to you and to the other helpful posts!

Posted by Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Kate,
Paly and Gunn and all of the P.A. schools have been closed the whole week. It is Spring break. I agree they seem to have a lot of breaks. I think that it is hard on the parents and also on the students. But getting back to my main topic- They should find other more constructive ways to entertain themselves.

Posted by Who knows, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:39 pm

"I found the first poster's comment not helpful and just ignored it."

You made an unfounded accusation against young people in PA. I made a similar ridiculous accusation to show you how silly your comments were/ Ignore them at your own peril.

Posted by Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:54 pm

FYI-you did not read my first post well. I stated that " I think"- that means from my own deductions, that I assume, that I do not know for sure. I did not make, as you stated, an unfounded accusation. Then you suggested it might be a neighborhood leader. So you think it was an adult?! How would you know.
Pls read the other comments they were more helpful and more appropriate considering this situation. Again I thank the other posters-they helped a lot!

Posted by Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Marty,
I looked for your new thread but could not find it. What did you call it.
Thanks.

Posted by Who knows, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm

"Who knows- " ignore them at my own peril" that could sound threatening- another comment I will ignore."

As you wish

"FYI-you did not read my first post well. I stated that " I think"- that means from my own deductions, that I assume, that I do not know for sure. I did not make, as you stated, an unfounded accusation."
But you posted an entire paragraph about Palo Alto students falling through the cracks. From that and your statement previously about it being someone living in the area, it was pretty clear to me that you were accusing some group of Palo Alto students.

"Then you suggested it might be a neighborhood leader. So you think it was an adult?! How would you know."
I would not know,but as I stated above, I made a ridiculous accusation against a neighborhood leader to show you how ridiculous your accusation against Palo Alto student was.

You could have posted the incident without commentary--that would have been sufficient.

Posted by Other Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Kate and Midtowner,

You've got to be kidding about the "many school breaks"kids supposedly get in Palo Alto.

Other than summer break, the kids get 2 weeks off in winter, and 1 week off in spring (this week this year). That's it! We no longer have "ski week", thanks to working parents who objected...

Other than the above mentioned breaks, all the kids get are some extended (usually 3-day) week-ends. That is not much, and I would argue that kids should get more breaks to get over being so tired and stressed by their school schedules and curriculum.

School children's schedules and breaks should revolve around the students' needs, not around the parents' needs.

Posted by neighbor, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Apr 16, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Other Midtowner -- kids definitely get many more breaks now than in years past (as in previous generations years past, not recent years past). The half-days, the teacher prep/training days, etc. are primarily the result of teacher union negotiations. Given the two weeks off December/January and spring break several months later, a ski week seems over the top. Many kids struggle with the transitions and take awhile to get back in the school mode, so frequent changes in schedule are not necessarily a good thing.

It makes sense that issues like child care be considered when increasing breaks by a week -- for parents with minimal resources and work schedules necessitated by a high cost of living, of course their schedules should part of the decision process.

Couldn't agree more that some kids are over-scheduled and some (not all) are overstressed. It's a pretty complicated issue that is unlikely to be impacted much by a ski week. It does, however, need to addressed on an ongoing basis in both schools and homes. Parents expecting a reasonable level of effort (not grades and AP classes that keep a child up until 2am every night) and a balanced life is key.

Posted by Outside Observer, a resident of another community
on Apr 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm

"Things like this were better handled by people with shotguns and rock salt, lessons are learned better and cheaper and the results get around more."

The best advice I've heard, but alas, the days of common sense and consequences for actions are long gone.

Now we have political correctness and a constant stream of excuses for vandalism, as exemplified by many of the posts here.

Posted by Another parent, a resident of South of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm

My teenagers have been out of school for a week but both have used the time well, resting, practicing music, getting some job skills, socializing, practicing sports. But I've been home with them and in the evenings they are with their dad and sometimes with friends. I agree this would have been a difficult week if I had a job outside the home. But it is the parents responsibility to know where their kids are and to provide safe supervised activities for them. Letting them hang out in midtown or downtown unsupervised is a recipe for trouble. I like the video camera idea. You just might catch some of the egg happy parents in town who think it's not a bad thing to throw eggs at other people's property - remember the egg wars? Adults will be, well, kids.

Posted by Other Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 8:35 pm

To neighbor:

I don't know how things were generations ago, but I do know that for many years now the school year in California has been mandated to be 180 days long. So it is 180 days no matter what. If we don't have breaks during the school year, then we have a longer summer break. It makes no difference how it's arranged when it comes to the number of days without school.

Based on that, I would much rather have the school year reorganized with more breaks during the school year and a shorter summer break. Why? Because I think it would benefit the kids, who would be more rested during the school year, and would forget less of what they learned if they had a shorter summer break.

Posted by Marty, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 16, 2010 at 9:35 pm

To Midtowner - I haven't had to post my thread yet. Too busy supervising my own kids! Basically I was just going to talk about how many kids I see at night pounding down beers at night in the schoolyards and then driving away, but I didn't want to risk distracting people from your thread. I will try to post it up later tonight or tomorrow!

Posted by Nora Charles, a resident of Stanford
on Apr 16, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Midtowner, sorry to read about the vandalism. So stupid and senseless. I hope security cameras or extra lights will help. It would be great to catch the creeps!

Posted by Paly Alum, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Apr 16, 2010 at 11:42 pm

If this is the "third time it has happened", someone has it out for your kids. I'd take the eggs instead of bullying at school. Do buy a camera and nail these kids. As to the blame, their parents have obviously failed in nurturing them.

I graduated from Paly in the 80s and we did have less breaks, but we also had much less homework and much more free time. I welcome the breaks nowadays because academics are much, much more rigorous than before. Jordan is teaching things we learned at Paly. Breaks are good for our students.

Posted by Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on Apr 17, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Nora Charles, Marty, Paly Alum, Anon, Steve, Another parent, and Outside Observer,
Thank you for your comments! You helped me with my feelings, and figure out what to do. I also spoke with several of my neighbors who were all annoyed at this vandalism and will all help watch out if it happens again.
Paly Alum- my kids have never been bullied- but to me this is a coward's act. And it would be good for their parents to know.
I think breaks are good for kids- but there are more constructive and productive things that they should be doing. And at 11:00 they should be home. I told one friend- next I'd like some bread so I can make french toast. But the whole thing is not funny, and there are no excuses for it.

Posted by Nora Charles, a resident of Stanford
on May 13, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Midtowner,

It is a bad feeling to be targeted like that. And you're so right--it was a very cowardly act and the parents should know. Well, let's hope the culprits have grown up a bit and will find their kicks in more acceptable ways!

Posted by Midtowner, a resident of Midtown
on May 14, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Nora,
Thanks for your comments.
After the first couple of times I got used to it and it was more like here they go again- kind of cheap this time only 2 eggs! And I forgot to mention that the first time we found plastic forks on our lawn. It was odd. I said to my friends we got "forked!"
It is cowardly-they think that we can not respond. But it is a small community, and often eventually people will talk. So even one of their friends may tell someone and we will find out. It is also vandalism, and they can get in trouble for that.
Nothing in awhile- so maybe they are doing more interesting, exciting and mature things.
Thanks again Nora for your thoughtful responses!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.