Open Letter to Nancy Pelosi

Original post made by Agree with Guthrie on Feb 16, 2010

If you dare, read this scathing letter to Nancy Pelosi from Dennis L. Guthrie, an attorney,(Mercer University, 1969 JD, Phi Alpha Delta), Vietnam veteran ( National Defense Medal and 2 Bronze Stars), U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina; U.S. Tax Court; Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals; Vice-Justice, District XIV, 1968 - 1969; Board of Directors of both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts etc. ( Remaining credentials are listed below the letter)

It was written last August, in the midst of her horrifying statements about us who disagreed with her. Especially from one of her generation and ilk, who represented and continues to represent those who spit on the very people and their families who have died or been maimed in the name of her freedom to call us whatever she wishes...I know she will never, ever be demoted in San Francisco (she will probably still be re-elected even after her funeral Mass)... they are too far gone to see her for what she represents, but for the rest of the country, I suspect it is bye-bye Pelosi.

This has been verified on Snopes. Link to Snopes page with verification and full pdf. letter ( with letter head included on that one...I can't "copy and paste" the letterhead part, I am sure for good reason) (Web Link)

He pretty much sums up how I believe most Americans feel about this 3rd most powerful person in the USA, and one of the leaders of a Party which has lost its way...It has taken this long for this letter to wind its way to my e-mail page.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Dated August 11, 2009

Dear Ms. Pelosi:

I write to you out of utter disdain! You are as despicable and un-American as the traitor Jane Fonda.

I am a soon to be 65 year-old who has voted in every state and local election since 1966. I have voted for both Republicans and Democrats alike. I have worked on campaigns for both Republicans and Democrats, white and black. I served the country that I love in Vietnam, as my son did in the Middle East. I was awarded two bronze stars. I have been involved in politics since age 6 when my father was campaign manager for a truly great American Congressman, Charles Raper Jonas, who worked for his constituents and his country, and was to be admired, unlike you.

You obviously haven't read the Constitution recently, if ever, the Federalist Papers, or even David McCullough's book on John Adams. You ought to take the time while riding around in your government provided luxury executive jet to do just that. You represent Socialistic and even Marxist principals that our founding fathers tried to avoid when setting out the capitalistic republican form of government represented by our Constitution.

I find it interesting that you and your husband are multi-millionaires with much of your fortune being made as a result of your "public service". You have controlled legislation that has enhanced your husband's investments both on and off shore. At the same time you redistributed the wealth of others. Our system of a free market economy is being destroyed by the likes of you, Harry Reid, and now our President. You ride around in a Gulfstream airplane at the tax payer's expense while criticizing the presidents of companies who produced something for the economy. You add nothing to the economy of the United States; you only subtract therefrom.

I would like to suggest that you return to the city of fruitcakes and nuts and eat your husband's canned tuna and pineapple produced by illegal immigrants and by workers who have been excluded from the protection that 90% of the legal workers in the United States have.

I await your defeat in the next election with glee.

Don't ever use the term "un-American" again for protesters who love this country and are exercising their rights upon which this country was founded. By the way, while I served in the Army, I was spit on by the same type of lunatics who support you and who you probably supported in the 60's and 70's. You are an embarrassment to all of us who served so that you would have the protected right of free speech to call us un-American. But at the same time, I have the right to write you to notify you that I consider you to be un-American, as do the majority of the people of this formerly great country. You are a true disgrace to most of the people who served this country by offering themselves for public service in the United States Congress.

I feel certain your aides will not share this letter with you, but I intend to share it with many.

Sincerely,

Dennis L. Guthrie

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CREDENTIAL LIST (link to his Credential Page at his law firm Web Link)

Born St. Louis , Missouri , August 21, 1944
Bar Admissions: North Carolina, 1969
U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina , 1969
U.S. Tax Court
Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Education: Wofford College , 1966A.B. Mercer University, 1969J.D.
Phi Alpha Delta
Vice-Justice, District XIV, 1968 - 1969
Professional Associations and Memberships:
North Carolina and American Bar Associations (Member, Sections on: Administrative Law; General Practice; Litigation)
26th Judicial District and North Carolina State Bar
Life Member, Girl Scouts of America

Posted by Proud American, a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 16, 2010 at 7:55 am

Well said.

Posted by Guthrie is strange, a resident of Stanford
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:55 am

My, my , my it seems that Mr Guthrie has really gotten upset. He rants and raves about people who "are exercising their rights upon which this country was founded" (as he puts it). Yet denies Ms Pelosi the same right. He also denigrates Ms Fonda, who also exercised her rights upon which this country was founded. In fact, if you go back to the Vietnam War days people were told to either support america or leave it--no discord or disagreement allowed. Fast forward to the last 8 years and people who dared to question the previous administration were called unpatriotic and accused of aiding Al Qeida.
[Portion removed.]

Posted by John, a resident of Ventura
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:53 am

If I recall correctly, Speaker Pelosi made those remarks in the midst of the allegedly "spontaneous" demonstrations orchestrated by the ultra-right. Thankfully, after some of the demonstrations started to get very ugly with very racist overtones, the more moderate Republican leadership backed off. Ms. Pelosi was correct, and Mr. Guthrie incorrect.

Also, Mr. Guthrie, who accuses Speaker Pelosi of being a "Marxist" who hasn't read the Constitution, apparently chooses to ignore some key clauses in the Constitution, such as the establishment of the Socialistic institutions of the Post Office and post roads, and, the fact that the Federal Government is indeed established IN THE PREAMBLE to "promote the general Welfare".

David McCullough's book on John Adams is indeed a fine book, but, apparently Mr. Guthrie needs to re-read it, along with more history, so that he understands the history better.

"Capitalism" was not a well-defined concept back then, but, clearly the Founders envisioned a mix of private enterprise and government enterprise, both at the Federal an individual state level. It was clearly understood, for example, that public roads usually made sense, although private roads and ferries were also common.

However, lest we forget, the Founders were not perfect-- they were unable to resolve the question of slavery, and left it for another day. They also left unresolved the question of banks-- some would say that, in an era of banks "too big to fail", that the question has again become unresolved.

In short, I find Mr. Guthrie's letter shallow, poorly researched, and unconvincing.

Now, the issue that precipitated all this, President Obama's initiative to find a way for all Americans to have at least basic health care, appears to have stalled, in large part due to the willingness of the ultra-right to support the large health insurance providers. I guess the "danger" must be over, considering the huge premium increases recently proposed by Anthem Blue Cross.

Posted by Guthrie is strange, a resident of Stanford
on Feb 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm

"It was written last August, in the midst of her horrifying statements about us who disagreed with her'
Which "horrifying statements" are you referring to?

"He pretty much sums up how I believe most Americans feel about this 3rd most powerful person in the USA"
Please provide some proof for this.

In reading Guthrie's sad diatribe once again, I also notice the derogatory terms he uses for gay people and how he also denigrates immigrants. Sounds to me that Guthrie is the person who is actually "despicable and un-American". I guess he feels that if he lists his long resume, that will somehow make his comments okay. What a sad statement from an irrational person.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 16, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

Captain Guthrie seems to have validated his patriotism in the trenches rather than at academic teas. If Jane Fondas' collaboration was patriotic, then the 911 skyjackers should be given posthumous citizenship and medals. Check your Constitution and see if the printer left out the definition of treason. It is right there in my copy.
Capitalism not well defined? What is to define? I have goods or services, someone desires those goods or services, we agree on a price. Socialism is almost the same without the "I have..."

Posted by Agree with Guthrie, a resident of Greater Miranda
on Feb 16, 2010 at 6:12 pm

It is hard for those who don't understand what principles they are supporting to understand the principles of Guthrie. So, they will call this writer "un-American" or "irrational", claim that there is no basis in fact, or claim that the "general welfare" clause refers to their definition of welfare, which is the massive growth of govt and transfer of wealth in hopes of attaining some utopian ideal, while attaining instead the exact opposite of their goals..the destruction of workers across this nation.

I would feel pity for these people and try to educate them, except that I have decided that most people who are belligerantly far left such as some I see in Congress, the media or blogs, are willfully choosing to remain ignorant, so there is no hope for them to learn. And my pity is used up when I remember they vote for people who promote policies that are against our welfare and the welfare of our children. So I no longer feel pity, just anger.

The good news is that most Americans have awoken, and understand what is happening. America will throw out all the socialists/marxists, and rise back up...putting us back to work, raising the level of living back up to where it was etc. In other words, with a conservative ascendency, we will cut unemployment in half again including putting the poor back to work and getting them off of welfare, which will bring more money into the tax coffers for education and help for those who really need help...in other words, we will go back to achieving the the classical liberal dream of every person educated and employed and free to live his life as he sees fit..through right wing policies, ie the America has it has been since 1982.

For the rest of us who already know this, this letter is awesome.

Posted by Anony Mouse, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 16, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Anony Mouse is a registered user.

I know I'm just a dumb liberal, bent on the destruction of the United States, but did this guy win 2 Bronze Star Medals, as claimed in his "Credentials"? A cursory search indicates that maybe he didn't.

Web Link

Posted by Anony Mouse, a resident of Community Center
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Mr.Wallis:

Did Mr. Cheney "validate his patriotism in Vietnam?" Just checking. He had other priorities...

Jane Fonda went to North Vietnam and opposed the war, some Democrats opposed the war. Ergo Democrats are not patriots. Ergo Pelosi is a traitor. Huh? A bit of a stretch isn't it?

Posted by Bogus Like A Three Dollar Bill, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Another one of these totally-bogus, made-up letters meant to try to inflame folks. They're sent out as email chain letters, encouraging recipients to post it on forums like this.

Posted by Anony Mouse, a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Feb 16, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Check Snopes. It's real. He even put it on his law firm's letterhead. I bet his partners loved that move.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 17, 2010 at 2:06 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

The military specifically requested the college deferment to increase the supply of officer candidates. In my opinion the draft was a big mistake and should never be reinstated. Jane Fonda, in violation of the laws then in effect. Her actions were not anti-war, they were pro Vietcong winning. The failure to prosecute her was a slap on the face of our troops and, for those with the prosecutorial responsibility, misprision of a felony. Pelosi is just a fool.

Posted by Guthrie is strange, a resident of Stanford
on Feb 17, 2010 at 6:35 am

I think Mr Guthrie's diatribe should be sent to all the organizations he lists on his resume. See how they feel being associated with a homophobic, racist, ant-free speech individual.

WIth regard to Mr wallis' comments--is the only way to validate your patriotism by serving in the trenches? So what does that say about all the chicken hawks from the Bush years?
While Mr wallis has his opinion about Ms Fonda, we may recall that she was never charged with a crime of treason. It is very nice that Mr Wallis can compare her to the 9/11 hijackers and cry treason--however his claims are empty and without merit.

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:11 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
As I stated in my letter, the failure to prosecute Fonda and her hubby was an inexcusable unforgivable slap in the face of all serving troops. To be anti war one must oppose all war.
To suggest that I implied patriotism can only be served in the trenches is inconsistent with the criticism of my defense of deferments. The whole concept of chickenhawk is silly. One need not run into burning buildings to support fire departments or to consider fighting fires a good thing.

Posted by Guthrie is strange, a resident of Stanford
on Feb 18, 2010 at 7:32 am

"As I stated in my letter, the failure to prosecute Fonda and her hubby was an inexcusable unforgivable slap in the face of all serving troops"
Take that up with the government, Walter. In the meantime, she is not guilty of treason--maybe in your mind, but that does not count.

"To suggest that I implied patriotism can only be served in the trenches is inconsistent with the criticism of my defense of deferments."

You seemed to imply it with the statement you made (Captain Guthrie seems to have validated his patriotism in the trenches rather than at academic teas.)

"The whole concept of chickenhawk is silly."
Yes, especially when you have to defend people like cheney. Of course, you are selective about this concept--when it suit syou , you always bring up military service or point out the service of those you agree with. If you agree with them and they did not serve--not a problem. Hence your continued bitterness towards Jane Fonda--throwing around wild charges, after the fact.

Posted by Agree with Guthrie, a resident of Greater Miranda
on Feb 20, 2010 at 5:01 am

Web Link

Above is a perfect example of what Guthrie is talking about..the Orwellian nature of our current Party-in-Charge.

We have heard about "support Obama's plan" for over a year..without having an Obama plan to read...we still don't have an Obama plan to read, but have had a Republican plan to read for months on the GOP site..but we heard OBAMA say in the State of the Union address he hasn't heard any ideas from the party of "No"...but he will meet with the Repubs in a bipartisan open-minded move....as long as they are willing to adapt to HIS plan....and now we are hearing that ..finally...there will be a published plan of some sort before the meeting, being put together ONLY by Dems ( really bipartisan) consisting of more of the same we've had for the last year, and that come hell-or-high-water they will pass it using whatever trick they can.

Ok, all this from Yahoo-news, NOT exactly a "right wing conservative news blog", so...

'splain to me again Lucy how Guthrie's letter has no basis in fact?

Posted by Walter_E_Wallis, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 20, 2010 at 11:52 am

Walter_E_Wallis is a registered user.

Someone is guilty of a crime at the moment they commit the crime. They are punished after the conviction. I did indeed take the failure to prosecute up with the government. I am not bitter about Hanoi Jane, I grieve at the craven incompetence of the poltroonly prosecutors who lacked the cojones to uphold the law.
I was not directly defending Cheney with that statement, I was defending the military's decision to defer students while they gained skills more needed than just a warm body. Ask any doctor from that era about the doctor draft.
I bring up my service only when it is relevant to the discussion. The concept of chickenhawk is silly because of the suggestion that people are not allowed to make mature judgments different than their earlier views.

Posted by The Health Care Show today, a resident of Greenmeadow
on Feb 25, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Down to 25% of all Americans supporting either the Congressional or the Senate bill.

we had 70% supporting the Iraq invasion.

um....ok..let's be real here..does anyone think it is a good idea to keep pounding this dead horse?

What about the public show on health care between the dems and the repubs today, led by BHO...presumably for "bipartisan" progress on health reform, where BHO berated the Repubs bills on the desk, and mandated twice the Dem speaking time as Repub time?

Does anyone really think this was good idea for BHO and the Dems?

Last...does it say anything at all about the "show" being during the time people WORK..so none of us working folks could actually watch it live?

Who was left to watch it live??

hm,,,,

Now watch the polls come out tomorrow "80% of those who watched it live agree with BHO"..and remember the audience left who could watch it.

Posted by John Prevette, a resident of another community
on Mar 27, 2010 at 12:17 pm

If Mr Guthrie finished Law school in 69 then Army service as Officer and claimed to be a Captin in RVN...Was he a JAG attorney and how the hell did he claim "in the trenches" in 70 and discharged in 71? I don't doubt his claim. But he his a disgrace to the grunts who were in the "BUSH". No real Viet Nam Veteran ever used the term in the trenches. And there is documents that show Officers did serve very short tours of duty to get their ticket punched and received awards that were denied to grunts. I find his claim of two Bronze Stars to be a sign of BS. I was a corpman with a Marine Unit and I received a "Combat Action Ribbon", the Army had Combat Infantry Badge", that my friends is the badge that tell it all. Without a "CIB" he has an in the rear, paper pushing non-combat Officer.
John Prevette USN, Ret.

Posted by Agree with Guthrie, a resident of Greater Miranda
on Apr 7, 2010 at 6:03 am

The writer of this letter is absolutely correct, the gentleman above who takes exception to the writer's credentials notwithstanding.

We have elected people who have abandoned all that made us great. We have abandoned JFKs "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country", MLKs "judge not by the color of skin, but by the content of character", Reagan's "Peace through Strength"..and reverted back to FDRs assertion that government needs to assure "a chicken in every pot" and cower in the corner as tyranny grows.

Sad times.

Throw every retroactive "progressive" a la FDR out of office, no matter whether they are Repub or Dems. Throw out Pelosi, McCain, Reid, Collins etc. Anyone who wants more government control over us and less federal protection of our security....get them OUT.

Posted by Agree with Guthrie, a resident of Meadow Park
on Apr 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Web Link

link above is common knowledge amongst conservatives..half of all households pay NO fed income tax..and what exactly is not "fair" to the poor about this? And WHY are we trying to tax the earners yet more??

Just more proof in the pudding to support the assertions of the Dems being socialists, if not flat out marxists...

explain to me again why we have to steal from Peter to pay Paul and how this is "good" for society???

In fact, unbeknownst to most, the percentage of Americans paying FED taxes actually shrank under those horribly selfish Bush Repubs...

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.